Fear Factor

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

Fear Factor

Post by All_Humans_Must_Die »

forgive the cheesy title, but in all seriousness for 2018 and beyond I hope they accomplish something PR succeeded in but not G'14... making the kaiju terrifying. In PR, particularly the Onibaba scene it was able to show just how scary these creatures can be if they were real (would you want to be chased by a building sized monster weighing thousands of tons). Granted the MUTOs had an eeriness to them because of their insect/spider like design and if you saw it in real life it would be pretty scary but the film didn't really utilize that aspect.

What do you guys think?
For the sake of peace, for the sake of balance, and for the sake of the earth... All humans must die

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Fear Factor

Post by g2vd »

Godzilla

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

For the sake of peace, for the sake of balance, and for the sake of the earth... All humans must die

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Exactly what I was thinking.

But yeah. They should've at least tried to show how much of a threat Godzilla could be to humans. Or make him look "scary" like that final shot from the trailer.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

I think something they could do to make King Ghidorah scary is perhaps give him glowing red eyes like in some of the scenes in Godzilla Vs Gigan were he's flying. I think that would be cool and would give him a supernatural feel. Godzilla was designed for 2014 to look nobel and majestic, not to cute or to threatening looking. I think the same could be done, and would work well for Rodan. Mothra shouldn't look scary IMO, more beautiful and angel-like. A Mothra Larva should look cute, yet very big.
BTW, does Legendary only have the rights to one form, or do you get the rights to both the larva and the imago when Toho gives you the rights for Mothra®?

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

Gojira1604 wrote:I think something they could do to make King Ghidorah scary is perhaps give him glowing red eyes like in some of the scenes in Godzilla Vs Gigan were he's flying. I think that would be cool and would give him a supernatural feel. Godzilla was designed for 2014 to look nobel and majestic, not to cute or to threatening looking. I think the same could be done, and would work well for Rodan. Mothra shouldn't look scary IMO, more beautiful and angel-like. A Mothra Larva should look cute, yet very big.
BTW, does Legendary only have the rights to one form, or do you get the rights to both the larva and the imago when Toho gives you the rights for Mothra®?
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/sma ... 0317095049

http://www.blogcdn.com/travel.aol.co.uk ... tralia.jpg

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Young Guy wrote:

But yeah. They should've at least tried to show how much of a threat Godzilla could be to humans. Or make him look "scary" like that final shot from the trailer.
Yeah even when we saw people die, it didn't feel like they did. Oh no Godzilla ran through the bridge! and cut away.

When Godzilla surfaced and drowned all those people? Could have shown at the end of the film a memorial being placed in memory of those who died on that day.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Living Corpse wrote:
Young Guy wrote:

Yeah even when we saw people die, it didn't feel like they did. Oh no Godzilla ran through the bridge! and cut away.

When Godzilla surfaced and drowned all those people? Could have shown at the end of the film a memorial being placed in memory of those who died on that day.
Seems to be the norm with most movies, these days. You feel nothing for the humans, though when a creature dies (be it an animal, dinosaur, or monster), you feel something.

Or maybe I'm just a cold-hearted bastard and hate the human race.

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

PRIMEVAL wrote:
Seems to be the norm with most movies, these days. You feel nothing for the humans, though when a creature dies (be it an animal, dinosaur, or monster), you feel something.

Or maybe I'm just a cold-hearted bastard and hate the human race.

frankly I can sit through stuff like saw and movies that brutally mutilate people and not flinch but when I watch movies like king kong, jaws, even G'98 (when I was a kid) I get a lump in my throat and almost tear up

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Living Corpse wrote:
Young Guy wrote:

Yeah for a supposedly character driven film G14 sure did lack a lot of depth and genuine emotion from anyone not named Cranston. Outside of Joe I simply didn't care for anyone else in the film and feel as a writer and a director respectively that Borenstein and Edwards didn't really give me any reason to care. The watch scene and Joe's death should have been emotional heart wrenching scenes but I feel they fell almost completely flat. The watch scene especially felt more like fan service that any meaningful exchange.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Yeah. At least in G 1954 I actually felt bad for the randoms who died, heck that mom and her children probably stand out the most. Does every G film do that? No. Did I feel that in most films when masses of people were dying? No. But when a film is supposed to be emotional, I expect the writing and acting to be convincing enough to make me care. I actually felt bad for the guys in The Thing (1982).

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

The only scary thing about G'14 is the fanbase.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:The only scary thing about G'14 is the fanbase.
BOO!

Whether or not the movie is scary or has scary scenes is pretty subjective. The hatching MUTO I thought was pretty creepy, at least. Scenes like that, the flood, the soldiers getting stomped near the end will scare some more than others, definitely. For me, with scenarios with hundreds of people dying at once, it at some point stops being scary and is just spectacular. They should go for something like the only scene in Jurassic World that actually unsettled me, Zara's death.
Monsters are the real people.