Screentime of the monsters in the sequal

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Shadd21
Samurai

Screentime of the monsters in the sequal

Post by Shadd21 »

I know most people here are hoping that Edwards heard the criticism to G14 regarding the monsters' little screentime and in planning to improve on this with the sequel but i was wondering, can this problem even be fix? I remember reading somewhere(i forgot where) that the reason Godzilla didn't have that much screentime in G14 was due to the cost of using CGI, so how would the sequel fair any better?

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Screentime of the monsters in the sequal

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Well, in that case a bigger budget and possibly an advancement in CGI would help.

I personally don't care about how much screentime a monster gets though. As long as the execution is done correctly. The reason why so many people are mad about it in this film is all of the cutaways when we know that action is happening. Really, even if they had a ton of screentime, it doesn't make it instantly trashy as something like transformers. It all depends on the execution.

So really, as long as it's executed well for the plot and other things, I will be perfectly fine with the screentime. Little or a lot..... But preferably a lot just so I can have some extra computer backgrounds, hehe.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Pacific Rim, Transformers, Jurassic World (it seems), plus other film's have had more larger action sequences with only a slightly bigger budget. Maybe 175$/200$ million. Godzilla's was 150$ million and that was to test the water's to make sure it didn't flop.

Edward's biggest problem with G-2014 was the focus wasn't on Godzilla an whenever an action sequence was going to happen he cut away from it. Leaving the audience both frustrated an annoyed by the third act.

It's obvious not all 3 monsters will be in the direct sequel, So let's assume the next is Rodan. Godzilla should have no less then 18/20 minutes screen-time with Rodan having 8/11 minutes. This assuming the film is 2 hours long. Anything less and it will suffer with the same reactions as the first which would be a mistake.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Pacific Rim, Transformers, Jurassic World (it seems), plus other film's have had more larger action sequences with only a slightly bigger budget. Maybe 175$/200$ million. Godzilla's was 150$ million and that was to test the water's to make sure it didn't flop.

Edward's biggest problem with G-2014 was the focus wasn't on Godzilla an whenever an action sequence was going to happen he cut away from it. Leaving the audience both frustrated an annoyed by the third act.

It's obvious not all 3 monsters will be in the direct sequel, So let's assume the next is Rodan. Godzilla should have no less then 18/20 minutes screen-time with Rodan having 8/11 minutes. This assuming the film is 2 hours long. Anything less and it will suffer with the same reactions as the first which would be a mistake.
Well, Ghidorah might appear in SOME capacity even if it's just to tear shit up in the final scene leading into the third movie (assuming they go ahead with it of course).

They're gonna need a bigger budget regardless, though, as the cat's already out of the bag. No need to hide/tease the monsters anymore (well, maybe Ghids, see above). It might get a budget increase of $10-20 mil similar to what Captain America: The Winter Soldier got from the first film.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Samayel
Samurai

Post by Samayel »

Constantly pulling the same teasing cut away crap is a big no-no. Go that way with the sequel and watch fans turn against the franchise in droves.
"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Shadd21 wrote:I know most people here are hoping that Edwards heard the criticism to G14 regarding the monsters' little screentime and in planning to improve on this with the sequel but i was wondering, can this problem even be fix? I remember reading somewhere(i forgot where) that the reason Godzilla didn't have that much screentime in G14 was due to the cost of using CGI, so how would the sequel fair any better?
Nope, finished shots were cut for time etc.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah the budget excuse makes no sense. Jurassic World purportedly cost about the same as Godzilla and looks like it will have a ton of dinosaur action.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah the budget excuse makes no sense. Jurassic World purportedly cost about the same as Godzilla and looks like it will have a ton of dinosaur action.

Well yeah and for example, there are CGI shots even in the trailers that didn't make the film (winged MUTO flying over the American flag to fight Godzilla)
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Chris55 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah the budget excuse makes no sense. Jurassic World purportedly cost about the same as Godzilla and looks like it will have a ton of dinosaur action.

Well yeah and for example, there are CGI shots even in the trailers that didn't make the film (winged MUTO flying over the American flag to fight Godzilla)
We're still waiting on that Director's Cut! ;)

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

If they want to keep screentime for monsters minimal, then fine. But I would greatly prefer if they don't keep skipping out on the fights. I think G14 would improve by keeping extra fight stuff in. It would have upped the runtime by what, less than five minutes? But it would have gone a long way in giving people what they want. Next time 'round, they should aim for keeping all of the fight sequences in, and trim stuff from the human plot if they're really concerned about runtime. I felt like G14 wouldn't have lost much by shaving a minute or two off of human scenes to allow for more fight footage. And that's coming from someone who found the human plot to be enjoyable and was very invested in it.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

20th Century Boy wrote:We're still waiting on that Director's Cut! ;)
I'm waiting for confirmation on a t.v. series. Pacific Rim has got one coming makes no sense Godzilla wouldn't get one either. Esp since G-98's was quite successful an that was with a terrible movie.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

20th Century Boy wrote:
Chris55 wrote:

We're still waiting on that Director's Cut! ;)
Yeah, I'm still hoping to see what's up.

Samayel
Samurai

Post by Samayel »

I haven't heard anything about a director's cut since the blu ray release, is this still going ahead?

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Samayel wrote:I haven't heard anything about a director's cut since the blu ray release, is this still going ahead?
Not sure what the deal is. Hoping to find out soon.

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:We're still waiting on that Director's Cut! ;)
I'm waiting for confirmation on a t.v. series. Pacific Rim has got one coming makes no sense Godzilla wouldn't get one either. Esp since G-98's was quite successful an that was with a terrible movie.
Frankly I find it incredibly bizarre that PR is getting a tv series and sequels while we have yet to hear anything on Godzilla and Jurassic World aside from a Godzilla 2 release date. I mean for crying out loud both made/will make more money than PR...makes zero sense to me.

Samayel
Samurai

Post by Samayel »

Chris55 wrote:
Samayel wrote:I haven't heard anything about a director's cut since the blu ray release, is this still going ahead?
Not sure what the deal is. Hoping to find out soon.
Hopefully we'll get a decent quality blu ray transfer along with an extended movie in any future director's cut. I thought I'd messed up and got the special limited can't see sh*t edition theatrical blu ray.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Well I want the goldilock treatment with the kaiju. Being well paced and not fucking cutting out from a fight scene so we can catch a glimpse of it on a tiny fucking monitor. Other than that we good.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

The CGI in Jurassic World though isn't all that phenomenal. TBH it looks rather average, if not below average.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I thought it looks better than Godzilla's and Pacific Rim's, but to each their own.

I'm hoping they go the Aliens route and have the sequel be filled with monster screen time.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Ryguy wrote:The CGI in Jurassic World though isn't all that phenomenal. TBH it looks rather average, if not below average.
I second this. I think the first two movies are far more superior.