Screentime of the monsters in the sequal

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: Screentime of the monsters in the sequal

Post by KManX89 »

Though if it's just one, it's obviously gonna be Mothra for the simple fact that they had several references of her while Rodan and Ghids had one easter egg each in G2014 (the classroom pterodactyl polygon figure and the dragon head in the gasoline vat at the MUTO nest, respectively), not to mention the Borenstein article talking about how they would utilize her (that was heavily misconstrued, but that's a discussion for another day). It's obvious they're anxious to use her.

Though if it's multiple monsters, then Ghids will, at the very least, appear in the final scene to tear shit up while being teased beforehand.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Shadd21 wrote: I remember reading somewhere(i forgot where) that the reason Godzilla didn't have that much screentime in G14 was due to the cost of using CGI, so how would the sequel fair any better?
I think that's speculation that's never been confirmed or denied, though quite possibly true. There was more "action" in Pacific Rim but the production budget was another $30M more. The idea though is that the sequel would have a larger budget than the predecessor as most Hollywood sequels gain larger budgets than the predecessor.

Certainly, I think there should be a fair bit more screentime of the monsters in Godzilla 2 as that's really the essence of the franchise, and so far the Legendary take isn't unpacking concepts of militarism, geopolitics, environmental concerns, or other things that would take up a larger portion of the humans' screentime. While Edwards talked about wanting a limited appearance of Godzilla in the movie akin to Jaws or Alien (discussed here: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27379962), I don't know that Godzilla was the right character with which to do that. Godzilla is already well known, whereas Jaws was a big shark that we hadn't really seen before and the Xenomorph in Alien was an original design as well. So that's part of what makes them a bit scarier and more thrilling. Although Godzilla's design was updated, we basically knew the essence of what Godzilla would be like so it just wasn't as effective, not to mention the cutaways. Godzilla is such a central character whereas the Xenomorph really isn't, or the giant shark in Jaws. Hopefully the sequel will not do that to any the monsters and give us the more conventional experience.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It's not how much screen time they have it's how the filmmakers use that time that counts. What Edwards needs to do is stop cutting away from the kaiju action and when the kaiju are on screen have them the focus not just in the background or showing them from some characters perspective the entire shot.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It was Edwards first major film. He learned a lot from the experience, and is learning now as we speak with doing a Star Wars film. G2, I have a feeling, will be quite epic.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer