Terror of MG influence for G14?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Terror of MG influence for G14?

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

After watching Terror of MG and G14 back to back, I noticed a lot of similarities that I don't think were coincidence. Here's what I noticed:

1- Godzilla vs two villain monsters (Titanosaurs/MechaG, Male Muto/Female Muto)

2- Godzilla's appearance in the cities, in Terror of MechaGodzilla Godzilla is shown appearing behind the buildings in the dark then makes his dramatic entrance, in G14 he also appears between the buildings in dark smoke filled atmosphere and makes his grand entrance before facing off the female Muto, although the timing of the scenes are not exactly the same because we see Godzilla way earlier at the airport in G14.

3- Godzilla ends up having a difficult time with both monsters to the point you think he's not gonna win. Both films have him eventually being knocked out or passed out for a period of time. Not to mention both films have him being buried under something (dirt/collapsed building). Eventually Godzilla escapes his burial and takes out whatever remaining monster.

4- Godzilla is seen as a hero and leaves into the ocean with a victory roar. Although this is common in most G films, I'd say it's a lot more similar to these two films.

5- Godzilla kills main villain by removing the head. MechaGodzilla head rip, with the female muto head melt removal fatality.

Now I recall reading a article saying that G14 was a sort of "Stealth Showa Film" in which I have to fully agree after watching these films back to back, once I find that article I'll be glad to post it.

What do you guys think?
G-Fan since age 3. First G movies (Godzilla vs Sea Monster/Godzilla vs Gigan)

Top 6 Favorite G films: Terror of MechaGodzilla, Godzilla 1984/1985, Godzilla vs Sea Monster, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Gigan Godzilla 2014
Other Fav Toho Films: War of the Gargantuas and Rodan

Favorite G suit(s): MegaroGoji 1975 version and BioGoji KG version

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Re: Terror of MG influence for G14?

Post by godzillalives88 »

It's interesting you say that, and I absolutely agree.

I've long thought that of all the past Godzilla movies, G '14 is most like TOMG both in terms of story structure and its portrayal of Godzilla.

A few other similarities I've noticed.

1. In both films we first see Godzilla during an opening montage of past events.
2. In both films Godzilla doesn't appear in the present day until about halfway in (and their entrances are similar, as you mentioned).
3. In both films Godzilla's first fight is implied rather than shown. TOMG actually cuts away as soon as Godzilla and Titanosaurus collide then cuts back with Titanosaurus leaving. G'14 cuts to clips from the fight on TV after Godzilla and the male MUTO square off.
4. In both films there is an older scientist figure whose been widowed, in part because nobody believed him.
5. In both films Godzilla mainly shows up to fight other monsters, and I would argue their personalities are very similar. In fact, I would say that the Legendary Godzilla is basically an older/extra badass version of the TOMG Godzilla.

Thanks for bringing this up, there really is a crazy amount of similarities.
Last edited by godzillalives88 on Sun May 03, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

I'm super excited that I'm not the only one who sees this! I love what you also pointed out!

Oh btw here's the article I mentioned

http://www.scified.com/site/we-all-wear ... showa-film

Top 6 Favorite G films: Terror of MechaGodzilla, Godzilla 1984/1985, Godzilla vs Sea Monster, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Gigan Godzilla 2014

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Great article! And i agree with its thesis. Literally, my first thought when I walked out of G '14 was that they basically did a big budget Showa film (which I know threw some some people given the marketing). The more human focus, tooth and claw monsters, and somewhat heroic Godzilla all contributed to that for me.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I've always thought G14 was very TOMG. Not just the similar scenes, but in just how it felt, the vibes it emitted.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

PRIMEVAL wrote:I've always thought G14 was very TOMG. Not just the similar scenes, but in just how it felt, the vibes it emitted.
They're probably the two most serious minded attempts at a more heroic Godzilla in the whole franchise. Godzilla is the hero of TOMG, but unlike the other 70's movies, there is not one moment where he's portrayed comically (Ie, flying, talking, drop kicking, snapping his fingers when his ray misses an opponent). I would imagine this is due to Honda's return. Likewise, G '14's really the only other movie I can think of that can say the same.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

godzillalives88 wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:I've always thought G14 was very TOMG. Not just the similar scenes, but in just how it felt, the vibes it emitted.
They're probably the two most serious minded attempts at a more heroic Godzilla in the whole franchise. Godzilla is the hero of TOMG, but unlike the other 70's movies, there is not one moment where he's portrayed comically (Ie, flying, talking, drop kicking, snapping his fingers when his ray misses an opponent). I would imagine this is due to Honda's return. Likewise, G '14's really the only other movie I can think of that can say the same.
He brushes off his shoulders like a boss when he rises from the ground xD Other than that, it's pretty serious.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

PRIMEVAL wrote:
godzillalives88 wrote:
He brushes off his shoulders like a boss when he rises from the ground xD Other than that, it's pretty serious.
Ha! Good point. Forgot about that.

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

Not to mention how he straight up starts throwing rib jabs at mechagodzilla once he's out of the hole lol

Samayel
Samurai

Post by Samayel »

Interesting article, TOMG has always been my fave Showa movie, and Titanosaurus my fave kaiju, after G. He is really well suited to be included in the Legendary universe, wouldn't take much tinkering with the charcter at all. Oh well, I can dream...
"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Samayel wrote:Interesting article, TOMG has always been my fave Showa movie, and Titanosaurus my fave kaiju, after G. He is really well suited to be included in the Legendary universe, wouldn't take much tinkering with the charcter at all. Oh well, I can dream...
For all we know, that's the 5th TOHO kaiju they have the rights for. I doubt it, but ya never know.

Samayel
Samurai

Post by Samayel »

Legendary have optioned 5 Toho kaiju? Good news indeed, and fingers crossed. KG, Rodan and Mothra I know about, who is the 4th?

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Samayel wrote:Legendary have optioned 5 Toho kaiju? Good news indeed, and fingers crossed. KG, Rodan and Mothra I know about, who is the 4th?

I don't think we know. Mechagodzilla would seem the most likely but it's anyone's guess.

Samayel
Samurai

Post by Samayel »

godzillalives88 wrote:I don't think we know. Mechagodzilla would seem the most likely but it's anyone's guess.
Thanks for the info. Hope it ain't MG myself, seems like he's been done to death already.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Sparkzilla14 wrote:Not to mention how he straight up starts throwing rib jabs at mechagodzilla once he's out of the hole lol

Well Mecha-Godzilla just shot a hand full of finger-missiles into his mouth, plus interfering every time Godzilla got the upper hand on Titanosaurus. I'd rib jab his ass too lol That said it was a great sequence when Godzilla escaped the hole he was buried alive in.

On topic, I never noticed how similar they both were. Although Terror of Mecha-Godzilla does indeed have much better action the entire last half but now i might have to re-watch that movie again.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Woah, never noticed the similarities before. No wonder I love G14, as ToMG is one of my faves :D

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

Crazy ain't it?

Believe Gareth is a big fan of the film.

I'm hoping the 4th kaiju rights is for Angurius, he deserves to have a big Hollywood look haha

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Sparkzilla14 wrote:Crazy ain't it?

Believe Gareth is a big fan of the film.

I'm hoping the 4th kaiju rights is for Angurius, he deserves to have a big Hollywood look haha
I'm pretty sure Godzilla counts as one of the ones they have the rights to. So there's only one Toho kaiju we don't know about, unless they secure the rights to more later on. I would love for it to be Anguirus, but can't shake the feeling that it'll be something... well, bigger. Like MechaGodzilla, Hedorah, or Biollante. Though, considering Edwards has mentioned doing a DAM style film, and Anguirus kicked so much ass in the final battle of DAM, perhaps there's hope for us Anggy fans yet :)

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Biollante would be a dream come true because she could greatly benefit from Hollywoods CGI. Her snake-like tentacles would look amazing plus with that giant crocodile like head. I could just imagine what an abomination of nature she could look like with a big budget.

Still i will forever have my fingers crossed its not Mecha-Godzilla, def prefer Angurius over him.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Biollante would be a dream come true because she could greatly benefit from Hollywoods CGI. Her snake-like tentacles would look amazing plus with that giant crocodile like head. I could just imagine what an abomination of nature she could look like with a big budget.

Still i will forever have my fingers crossed its not Mecha-Godzilla, def prefer Angurius over him.

Yes!!
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."