My thoughts on a possible Godzilla 2 plot

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: My thoughts on a possible Godzilla 2 plot

Post by KManX89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Forgive me if no one has mentioned this before but I haven't seen anyone discuss whether mothra will appear in larva form or only adult, or both. It'd be cool for Mothra to appear in larva form this movie and in the sequel turn into an adult.
IF a third movie gets made, which sadly, there's a chance it won't. :(

But we'll see.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

KManX89 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Forgive me if no one has mentioned this before but I haven't seen anyone discuss whether mothra will appear in larva form or only adult, or both. It'd be cool for Mothra to appear in larva form this movie and in the sequel turn into an adult.

But we'll see.
I'm pretty sure it's confirmed to happen.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

PRIMEVAL wrote:I'm pretty sure it's confirmed to happen.
So was a third ''Clash of the Titan's'' but that never happened. Fact is if Godzilla 2 makes less the first film Warner/Legendary wont make a third installment. The only possible way is if Warner gives up the rights like Warner did with Seventh Son and Pacific Rim and Universal takes it over. That might be complicated though esp since we don't know the terms with Toho.

A tad bit worried to how the second Godzilla movie will perform, not sure it will pull in the 90$ million the first weekend as the first did. I think many might hold-out for word of mouth esp after the first came out.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

The only way it can open higher is that increase in interest and popularity in the franchise in general grows. Pacific Rim is doing this by making an animated series, hopefully something Godzilla related happens.
Yooo 8-)

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

JGAR wrote:The only way it can open higher is that increase in interest and popularity in the franchise in general grows. Pacific Rim is doing this by making an animated series, hopefully something Godzilla related happens.
Well you saw the marketing campaign for the first film, it was very well done despite it being misleading. It will be even more intense for this film especially when there will be 3 more (assumed) toho monsters in it. I do agree about the word of mouth too, if word gets around that this film has more monster fights/Godzilla, a better script and likeable characters, this film may make more than the first. If this film does not have those things it will tank.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

PRIMEVAL wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

But we'll see.
I'm pretty sure it's confirmed to happen.
You do realize it could be cancelled at any time, right?

I'm pretty sure it's all banking on Godzilla 2's success. If it flops or underperforms, I'm pretty sure the third movie *will* be cancelled.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

KManX89 wrote:
You do realize it could be cancelled at any time, right?

I'm pretty sure it's all banking on Godzilla 2's success. If it flops or underperforms, I'm pretty sure the third movie *will* be cancelled.
I do recall Chris saying that it will happen, though I could be wrong on this. Short of a cataclysmic event, I don't think it'll be canceled.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well, if it's any reassurance sequels tend to make a larger net gross. People are already familiar with the subject and it basically gets a lot of free publicity. But yeah, the sequels are confirmed but that doesn't mean they can't be canceled. A confirmation is more like,"we have plans to do this" but those plans can be canned if it winds up being a disaster. Part of me doesn't think that it will and even if G2 makes like around the same net gross I have a feeling they'll do a third one anyways because the people over there are Godzilla fanboys as well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well, if it's any reassurance sequels tend to make a larger net gross. People are already familiar with the subject and it basically gets a lot of free publicity.
To be fair, Captain America: the First Avenger got rather middling (maybe above average) reception, and the sequel (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) took off big time. In fact, it had the second-highest opening weekend of any movie in 2014 domestically (behind, ugh, AOE), so it wouldn't be unprecedented for G2 to have a similar net gain from the first movie with that being said. It could go either way.

Hell, even if another $90+ mil OW is out of the cards, it can still better the first movie's WW totals if WOM is good. If word on the street is there's more monster fights, more Godzilla/monster screentime/focus, no cutaways, honest advertising and more likable characters this time around (the very things they criticized the 2014 movie for), I'm willing to bet those disappointed with the first movie will give it a chance.

If and only if.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

KManX89 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well, if it's any reassurance sequels tend to make a larger net gross. People are already familiar with the subject and it basically gets a lot of free publicity.
To be fair, Captain America: the First Avenger got rather middling (maybe above average) reception, and the sequel (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) took off big time. In fact, it had the second-highest opening weekend of any movie in 2014 domestically (behind, ugh, AOE), so it wouldn't be unprecedented for G2 to have a similar net gain from the first movie with that being said. It could go either way.
This is true. but remember Marvel also kicked ''Joe Johnston'' to the curb and got a better director for the sequel and also better script writers which greatly added to the over-all success of Captain America 2. Also ''The Avengers'' came out prior which also helped further establish the character an added hype.

Godzilla doesn't have a part in a middle film, nor a new director or script writer for the sequel. (The latter frustrates me greatly) so it's a complete different scenario.

Ouestions are if they actually learn from there mistakes. Quit the teasing, the cast are your leads but your Star is Godzilla, the monsters are there for Godzilla to fight. It's fairly simple an just give us a decent story with Monarch as them researching an hunting Godzlla an co an there you go.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
This is true. but remember Marvel also kicked ''Joe Johnston'' to the curb and got a better director for the sequel and also better script writers which greatly added to the over-all success of Captain America 2. Also ''The Avengers'' came out prior which also helped further establish the character an added hype.

Godzilla doesn't have a part in a middle film, nor a new director or script writer for the sequel. (The latter frustrates me greatly) so it's a complete different scenario.

Ouestions are if they actually learn from there mistakes. Quit the teasing, the cast are your leads but your Star is Godzilla, the monsters are there for Godzilla to fight. It's fairly simple an just give us a decent story with Monarch as them researching an hunting Godzlla an co an there you go.
Couldn't have said it better.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I was thinking what if they are tying Rodan's origins with the Trinity Bomb test?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla: