G'14, is it Number 29 or not?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
SG-17
G-Force Personnel

G'14, is it Number 29 or not?

Post by SG-17 »

The '98 film was universally shamed and disowned by both the fans and Toho, no one in their right mind counts it towards the Godzilla film count. The new movie on the other hand has been pretty universally loved by fans and by Toho. The fact that Toho has approved two sequels and use of Godzilla mainstays like Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah shows that they have accepted the film.

So then, do we count the '14 film as number 29? Or will the '16 Toho film take that number? Can only films made by Toho be counted, or those made by anyone so long as they are faithful to the originals?

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Re: G'14, is it Number 29 or not?

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I personally count it as #30. Even if 1998 was a disgrace to the name, it's still a Godzilla movie, as unfortunate as that is. At least, to me.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SG-17 wrote:The '98 film was universally shamed and disowned by both the fans and Toho, no one in their right mind counts it towards the Godzilla film count.
Except for Toho, who still uses the name "Godzilla" on the DVD and it's still copyrighted as a Godzilla film.

As for the topic on hand, I count it as #30, including the 1998 film.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
SG-17 wrote:The '98 film was universally shamed and disowned by both the fans and Toho, no one in their right mind counts it towards the Godzilla film count.
Except for Toho, who still uses the name "Godzilla" on the DVD and it's still copyrighted as a Godzilla film.

As for the topic on hand, I count it as #30, including the 1998 film.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it's not like it's their call not to change it, they can't (both the title AND the trademark) because Tri-Star still owns the rights to that one movie even though they now have the rights to the monster.

That being said, as much as it pains me to admit, it is technically still part of the franchise.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

I consider it 29, or more importantly, a part of the franchise. I can understand people's reservations about including 98, because the title creature shares so little in common with Godzilla, but 14 is absolutely Toho Godzilla. Likewise, trying to it's say not a part of the series is confusing to me because it's called Godzilla, looks and acts like Godzilla, and was licensed by Toho as Godzilla. I think of it the same way as I do the other films (albeit with a much larger budget and American cast), and am comfortable comparing and contrasting it with them. I never felt that way about the 98 film, it being so different from the other 28, but to each his own. I certainly don't object to people saying there's 30 though, I believe Toho even included the 98 film as part of their 50th anniversary DVD collection, so there ya go.
Last edited by godzillalives88 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I like to think of it as 30. It is a nice round number after all. Godzilla's 30th film on his 60th anniversary. Like the way it sounds.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Yes. It's 30 according to Toho because of G98's inclusion as GODZILLA in their blu-ray releases.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The American films aren't on Toho's site, so I would place them under 'other' -
http://godzilla.jp/work/

They're separate from the rest to me, even if the new movie feels more or less like the 7th Millennium movie.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

separate. just look at how the site is organised; it's something else entirely.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

It all depends on if Never Say Never Again was the 13th James Bond film or not.

I personnally can't see how you could consider this a Godzilla film if you discount the '98 one. (Not because I disliked this movie, but just because of copyright and things)
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

godzillalives88 wrote:I consider it 29, or more importantly, a part of the franchise. I can understand people's reservations about including 98, because the title creature shares so little in common with Godzilla, but 14 is absolutely Toho Godzilla. Likewise, trying to it's say not a part of the series is confusing to me because it's called Godzilla, looks and acts like Godzilla, and was licensed by Toho as Godzilla. I think of it the same way as I do the other films (albeit with a much larger budget and American cast), and am comfortable comparing and contrasting it with them. I never felt that way about the 98 film, it being so different from the other 28, but to each his own. I certainly don't object to people saying there's 30 though, I believe Toho even included the 98 film as part of their 50th anniversary DVD collection, so there ya go.

Complete agreement.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

It's the 30th movie, even though 98 is not Godzilla or a Godzilla movie in the eyes of us G fans, it's still officially in the eyes of Toho a Godzilla movie just as Godzilla 2014 is. while we can not count 98 as the 23th movie we have to recognize that Toho sees it as a Godzilla movie and thus the 23th entry in the franchise, and that will not change no matter what are feelings on it may be.
Last edited by g2vd on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Godzilla

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

This Godzilla fan loves the 98 film and the 14 film so the last one was #30.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

G'14 is Godzilla #30. G'16 will be Godzilla #31 and G2 will be #32.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Toho Godzilla.... you just had to pop in between Godzilla and Godzilla 2.

And Godzilla 2014 is 30.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

#30, I count GINO as a movie even though it disrespected the source material.
Yooo 8-)

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Yeah, it's #30 for me.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

It's #30. G'98 may not have been the movie fans wanted or deserved, but when I change perspective a little it looks to me more like merely a decent sci-fi thriller. Maybe I'll disregard '98 once G'16 rolls out just to keep it an even 30 a little longer. Here's to hoping it ends on a larger multiple of 10, like 40 or 50!
Monsters are the real people.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

You can look at it one of two ways:

1) You keep the Toho Godzilla movies and American Godzilla movies separate, like on Toho's site linked above. You can see it as 28 Godzilla movies (29 next year) with 2 American films (3 in 2018).
Or
2) There are 30 Godzilla films, with Godzilla 1998 being #23 and 2014 being #30

As dreadful as 1998 was, you can't just plug your ears and scream, pretending it just doesn't exist. It is a Godzilla movie, the creature in it is Godzilla (despite what our oh-so-helpful-and-accurate Godzilla wiki tells the kids).
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Mr. X wrote:As dreadful as 1998 was, you can't just plug your ears and scream, pretending it just doesn't exist. It is a Godzilla movie, the creature in it is Godzilla (despite what our oh-so-helpful-and-accurate Godzilla wiki tells the kids).

i mean, why not?

sans the screaming, of course. yea, i understand the "official" stance on it, but just telling people they can't align the movies the way they want to? alright i guess, but find me someone who lines up everything in accordance with the stance of Toho. that person does not exist, even if they persist and say that they agree with them even on things they're unaware of.

i recognize these films in the count, but don't count the 1998 movie as a Godzilla movie. it's not for lack of wanting; i just can't link it in my mind. i recently completely forgot it when i listed the solo films in another thread, straight up because it doesn't come to mind when i think of Godzilla movies. there's something intrinsic to the rest of the franchise that doesn't appear in that movie, and it's never going to register with me that it is one. so, i'll chalk it up in the official tally, but it's not one of the films to me. i'm sure there are others who feel that way, too.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.