More original kaiju? Or enough with the MUTOs

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Re: More original kaiju? Or enough with the MUTOs

Post by Noble Saber »

I'll be completely honest here: The Starship Trooper Bug looks waaaay more like a M.U.T.O than the Cloverfield monster does.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Giga Kaiju wrote:The Female Muto moves QUADRUPEDALLY. Their shapes are very similar in the movies, and move at a similar manner. One slow and one slightly faster, but yeah.

Different details, but similar silhoutte.

Similar kind of limbs too. The Muto just has an 'extra pair'.

Female Muto: http://img05.deviantart.net/2e8d/i/2014 ... 7w2l79.jpg

Clover: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ori ... -Clove.jpg
The MUTOs move on 6 legs, Clover on 4.
And they're not the same kind of limbs, MUTO's legs are hooked like an Insect, Clover's and more fleshy/bony and end in paws.
Clover moves clumsily, often bumping into things and even losing its balance; by contrast the MUTOs move in a very coordinated, predatory manner.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

They both STILL need than ONE PAIR of limbs to move around, regardless of if they're pointy or fleshy or bony or whatever.

Regardless on what sense do they move, they still have the same shape.

And like 2004zilla said, the bugs from Starships Troopers (And me at first), are more similar to the MUTOS.

UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Giga Kaiju wrote:They both STILL need than ONE PAIR of limbs to move around, regardless of if they're pointy or fleshy or bony or whatever.

Regardless on what sense do they move, they still have the same shape.

And like 2004zilla said, the bugs from Starships Troopers (And me at first), are more similar to the MUTOS.

http://orig11.deviantart.net/375c/f/201 ... 7dy3tr.jpg
By that logic Kumonga is like Anguirus, they bother need more than one pair of legs.
And they don't really have the same shape, one has an angular head, 6 legs, an upright body, and no tail, the other has a blunt head, 4 legs, a slouched body, and a tail.
As for the Starship Troopers bug, it's much more splayed out than a MUTO, and is essentially a head on legs with no body to speak of, while the MUTOs have a proper torso.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

But Anguirus is an ankylosaur-armadillo-creature and Kumonga is an arachnid. TWO DIFFERENT CREATURES. That' isn't a good example.

If you told me Megaguirus and Kamacuras in his Millenium appearance, then maybe I'd have give you a point, but that's not the case of this.

They have two limbs in their chests, for whatever use they give to those, regardless on how the limbs, head and tail are given or not, the overall SHAPE of the creature resembles it. If it didn't then why a lot of people SEE the similarities?

And about the bugs, their limbs and sharp heads give it away from a mile away.

Even the Hopper Bug from the same movie. It looks ALIKE the Male Muto at that...

tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Giga Kaiju wrote:But Anguirus is an ankylosaur-armadillo-creature and Kumonga is an arachnid. TWO DIFFERENT CREATURES. That' isn't a good example.

If you told me Megaguirus and Kamacuras in his Millenium appearance, then maybe I'd have give you a point, but that's not the case of this.

They have two limbs in their chests, for whatever use they give to those, regardless on how the limbs, head and tail are given or not, the overall SHAPE of the creature resembles it. If it didn't then why a lot of people SEE the similarities?

And about the bugs, their limbs and sharp heads give it away from a mile away.

Even the Hopper Bug from the same movie. It looks ALIKE the Male Muto at that...

https://monsterlegacy.files.wordpress.c ... .jpg?w=850
The shape of the head, number of limbs, kind of limbs, tail/no tail, etc, are all part of the overall shape, and those things are all different.

That bug is a lot more insectoid than the male MUTO, with clearly segmented body parts and a chitinous texture. The Male MUTO was more like a pteranodon. And again, the bug's head accounts for like half its mass, where the MUTOs had far smaller heads.

I'm not saying there aren't similarities, but you said they were "vastly" similar, and there I simply cannot agree.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If there's something that I will do give, is that it isn't a blatant copy or unoriginal as some people are making it out to be.

Believe me or not, I really did like the MUTOS in the movie, I really did. Probably a whole lot more than many others in other forums/pages of Godzilla/Monster fanatics as you'd imagine with their opinions. But, the POINT being, is that it sort of-resembles other creatures from different IP's, which then make people familiarize and picture in the two parasitic-electromagnetic monsters here.

Otherwise, just look for opinions on the Internet. I GUARANTEE you'll find people that DO think that they're look-alike.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Giga Kaiju wrote:If there's something that I will do give, is that it isn't a blatant copy or unoriginal as some people are making it out to be.

Believe me or not, I really did like the MUTOS in the movie, I really did. Probably a whole lot more than many others in other forums/pages of Godzilla/Monster fanatics as you'd imagine with their opinions. But, the POINT being, is that it sort of-resembles other creatures from different IP's, which then make people familiarize and picture in the two parasitic-electromagnetic monsters here.

Otherwise, just look for opinions on the Internet. I GUARANTEE you'll find people that DO think that they're look-alike.
There are some similarities, but I don't think they are any more alike than, say, Mothra and Megaguirus or Godzilla and Titanosaurus.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Akin to that, yeah. I'm not saying that they're copycats, but that they do have some sort of traits here and there.

That was the POINT I was alluding to.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Variola wrote:There are some similarities, but I don't think they are any more alike than, say, Mothra and Megaguirus or Godzilla and Titanosaurus.
I second this. When you really start analyzing the design of the MUTOs, they're quite unique.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Akin to that, yeah. I'm not saying that they're copycats, but that they do have some sort of traits here and there.

That was the POINT I was alluding to.
Agreed, but I'd contend there's a similar pool of common traits in Japanese kaiju.
All I objected to was the word "vastly" similar.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Maybe I had misused it, on that point. Ha.

Anyway, yeah. For a kaiju concept, they're quite fine with me.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

I say new ones, C'mon we've seen the old monsters before, they'll just look cgi, nothing new.
but man imagine new kaijus, new fresh kaijus *_*
also why does people compare pacific rim kaijus and mutos/cloverfield monster?

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Janjira-York wrote: also why does people compare pacific rim kaijus and mutos/cloverfield monster?
All Hollywood CGI kaiju released relatively close together.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Since they're made in the same country and references are somewhat there, it makes the audience connect them in their minds, hence, the similarities.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Honestly, people who think "MUTO=Clover" remind me of the people who confuse Star Trek and Star Wars because both take place in space.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Vatarian wrote:Honestly, people who think "MUTO=Clover" remind me of the people who confuse Star Trek and Star Wars because both take place in space.
Or have the same director
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ Even after the Director of the two admitted that he prefers one over the other. :P

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I'd love to see more original monsters, and its why I really hope there's an animated series, I'd love to see the Shinomura, and other creatures. I'd be cool to see G14 wrestle around with a giant cobra or an Ebirah- type MUTO too
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

More new monsters. No reason why we can't have new monsters while bringing in Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah. Not like Godzilla hasn't had more than one fight in a film before.