How Ghidorah Mothra And Rodan should be introduced in G2018

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: How Ghidorah Mothra And Rodan should be introduced in G2

Post by Vakanai »

Ghidorah should be introduced as a space monster. I've recently come across the argument that a space dragon isn't that grounded or realistic. I don't get that at all, we can accept a giant earth dragon in Godzilla, but space makes it silly? Man of Steel (grounded for a Superman flick) featured space aliens, as has several Marvel movies (Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor 1&2, Avengers). I don't see how a space angle makes it less grounded than a good chunk of recent sci-fi movies. Just as long as the three heads thing doesn't look as distracting as usual (the wildly moving heads was always weird) there's nothing particularly less grounded about Ghidorah than there is about the Godzilla franchise as a whole.

Mothra is the difficult one because of the fairies. Still, some reference or Easter egg alluding to them would be cool.

Rodan popping out of a volcano is a must. It's the sort of thing I've seen before, but never in a Hollywood CGI driven blockbuster. If 1960s/70s Toho can make monsters popping out of or falling into volcanoes cool, surely it can be amazing today.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

miguelnuva wrote:My King Ghidorah video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKAZf_Y-SeQ
Man, Godzilla is DAMN SEXY. He's not ugly at all!
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

I suspect all three will be Primordial giants like Godzilla & the Muto, the second film feels too soon to introduce things like aliens or mutants to the mix (and yeah, I doubt Mothra's mysticism will be addressed).

I'm not too worried about Ghidorah, even if he's not his alien self, he'll at least be a major source of competition for Godzilla, still his arch enemy, though rather than as a terror from beyond the stars, rather an instinctual enemy competing with Godzilla for the top spot in the food chain. I'm not the biggest Mothra fan, but I'm sure they could incorporate the Infant Islanders into the story too as a culture that worships Mothra, or at least there could be archeological discoveries of ancient cultures that revered Mothra as a goddess or something.

As for Rodan, they had BETTER not mess him up, Final Wars treated Rodan terribly and I seriously hope this film gives Rodan the respect he deserves as a member of the famous four, and return him to being a worthy rival for Godzilla, like in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. Heck, I could even see Rodan as a natural predator for Mothra in both her larval & imago forms, an airborne battle between the two would be cool (or if there are Mothra twins, I could see Rodan killing & devouring one caterpillar for food & then later the surviving twin becomes an adult & the two throw down again). That could even be how they're discovered, with humans spotting the two fighting over an island chain, or they unearth Mothra's egg and Rodan comes to feed, which could lead to a battle between him & Godzilla if they both wanna munch on Mothra lol

At any rate, Rodan rising out of a volcano as others have suggested would be pretty sweet, though another interesting way of introducing him could be to have him arrive without warning to scavenge the remains of the two Muto Godzilla beat like a giant condor or something, it could be shortly after the events of the first film or years later at a research facility where the Muto remains are being studies, & as bad luck has it Rodan attacks for an easy meal.

P.S. this might be too much for the opening scene of the film, but maybe a flashback to the Age of Kaiju when all these monsters thrived out in the open would be cool to see? Give us a glimpse of the world Godzilla & the others once knew and show us how they fit in that ancient ecosystem, maybe show Rodan & Mothra, but keep Ghidorah hidden in shadow until the big reveal in modern times? Or heck, if they DO decide to do the alien thing, they could show Ghidorah's arrival on earth and how he was the beginning of the end for the Kaiju Age (i.e. maybe he caused the Permian Impact, began feeding on the other monsters, & went into hibernation when his food supply ran out, or was barely beaten by Godzilla & friends & only now has recovered enough in modern times to try it all again).

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Rodan and Ghidorah pretty much ala GTTHM. Mothra's the trickier one -- no idea for her.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I feel if all three are in the second one that it ruins progession. think about it, it jumps up the anity too fast if all three are there than what is the great surprise and battle for G3? A DAM battle? they apparently only have 5 monsters (Before you say but that tweet, we don't know if they got more they could just be referring to that) and if Ghidorah dies in G2 that leaves just two or one if Godzilla counts, basically a repeat of the last one, that means in every movie after 2014 it's just a super duper big battle. I don't want that among the fact it would cause problems because you are introducing three characters in one movie. now I know what some may say (what would he fight Mothra lame it must be Destroyah and MechaGodzilla) who said Mothra would appear? I believe Rodan will appear in G2 and Mothra and Ghidorah will be saved for the third, now some may ask who could be the villain the 5th monster has to be Destroyah right?

Resized Image

Or Varan perhaps maybe even Gigan.
Godzilla

BoulderFaceplant
Samurai

Post by BoulderFaceplant »

I think Ghidorah should be an alien, because Rodan and Mothra are going to be established as ancient, Earthly beings. Ghidorah, meanwhile, should be a destroyer of worlds, a creature with a track record of severely crippled civilizations in its wake. How this should be conveyed, I don't know, but it would really establish the stakes front and center if Ghidorah were made to be a walking apocalypse. The death and destruction dealt by the kaiju when it is done with a planet should be visible from space.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I LOVE the idea of the visits to the moon being when Monarch and NASA discovered Ghidorah. I can see the opening scenes being "tapes" of the visit to the moon and seeing a sleeping Ghidorah.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ That sounds eerie yet epic at the same time. Then something goes wrong, and he wakes up right in front of the astronauts. Wicked.

Mothra and Rodan could be introduced like in the old movies. Unknown sightings escalating until their full unveiling on the screen. For Ghidorah, either a meteorite crashes on the planet or he comes beyond the stars like in Godzilla vs. Gigan to wreak havoc, somehting among those lines. :)
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote:I LOVE the idea of the visits to the moon being when Monarch and NASA discovered Ghidorah. I can see the opening scenes being "tapes" of the visit to the moon and seeing a sleeping Ghidorah.
Nah, Ghidorah should be further out, so that while they know he's there they haven't viewed him as a threat in the decades since his discovery just because of the vast distance. We're talking one of those old probes whizzing past Saturn and snapping a picture of this giant three headed shadow flying past one of Saturn's moons. Maybe Uranus or Neptune.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Ghidorah can be introduced as a sleeping monster concealed in a ancient asteroid piece from the Permian period (which can give him a little connecting to Godzilla). Monarch could have found it after receiving reports of a strong magnetic field. Simular to the MUTO incident, human mess with it and cause him to awaken.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Vakanai wrote:
Cookson wrote:I LOVE the idea of the visits to the moon being when Monarch and NASA discovered Ghidorah. I can see the opening scenes being "tapes" of the visit to the moon and seeing a sleeping Ghidorah.
Nah, Ghidorah should be further out, so that while they know he's there they haven't viewed him as a threat in the decades since his discovery just because of the vast distance. We're talking one of those old probes whizzing past Saturn and snapping a picture of this giant three headed shadow flying past one of Saturn's moons. Maybe Uranus or Neptune.
That is a awesome idea it's excellent.
Godzilla

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

g2vd wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
That is a awesome idea it's excellent.

While I'm cool with the sleeping monster idea, I must say I do love the idea of humanity, namely Monarch, discovering Ghidorah's existence years ago but weren't immediately worried about it because as long as it remained out in deep space & minded its own business it wasn't their problem, & they were in no position to go after it or draw attention to planet earth by confronting or tracking it either...Only for it to make a beeline for earth after the awakening of earth's kaiju population & from there things get REAL lol.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

KaijuDuke wrote:Or heck, if they DO decide to do the alien thing, they could show Ghidorah's arrival on earth and how he was the beginning of the end for the Kaiju Age (i.e. maybe he caused the Permian Impact, began feeding on the other monsters, & went into hibernation when his food supply ran out, or was barely beaten by Godzilla & friends & only now has recovered enough in modern times to try it all again).
I like that a lot. Thats exactly how I'd do it. Except I'd have him escape earth and go hibernate on the moon. Only the awakening of Godzilla and the Muto that stirred him from his slumber. I wouldn't doubt the mating calls of the Muto being the primary catalyst for all the monsters reawakening. That and the more radioactive nature of the earth because of all the nuclear testing and such.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
KaijuDuke wrote:Or heck, if they DO decide to do the alien thing, they could show Ghidorah's arrival on earth and how he was the beginning of the end for the Kaiju Age (i.e. maybe he caused the Permian Impact, began feeding on the other monsters, & went into hibernation when his food supply ran out, or was barely beaten by Godzilla & friends & only now has recovered enough in modern times to try it all again).
I like that a lot. Thats exactly how I'd do it. Except I'd have him escape earth and go hibernate on the moon. Only the awakening of Godzilla and the Muto that stirred him from his slumber. I wouldn't doubt the mating calls of the Muto being the primary catalyst for all the monsters reawakening. That and the more radioactive nature of the earth because of all the nuclear testing and such.

Thank you very much :mrgreen: , and I do like the idea of Godzilla & the Mutos awakening serving as the catalyst for Ghidorah's return as well.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

A sleeping Ghidorah sounds kind of interesting but I feel like an in-coming Ghidorah from outer-space like the more serious approach to go with. Like, 'Oh sh**! Something is coming to the planet, what is that...?! Oh no, is attacking us...!'

But wouldn't be against it, just not as preferable.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

TheKokomo
Ronin

Post by TheKokomo »

Being that Rodan is one of my all-time favorite Kaiju, I REALLY hope that we see him in Godzilla 2 and don't have to wait until the third movie to see him...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is it possible that regardless of how they handle his origin, they will still give Ghidorah the alias "King of Terror"?

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

LegendZilla wrote:Is it possible that regardless of how they handle his origin, they will still give Ghidorah the alias "King of Terror"?

That would be cool. If Ghidorah turns out to be the inspiration for myths and legends about dragons, the "King of Terror" alias could stem from a legend about him specifically (along with the name Ghidorah), since Gojira himself is a living legend as well in this setting.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I saw this art of a MUTO version of Ghidorah and a MUTO version of Rodan. It'd be interesting if they were both military or evil mutations made from MUTO DNA. Or something.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!