Godzilla King of the Monsters Production Crew Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla 2 Production Crew Thread.

Post by Ryguy »

UPDATE: So Screencrush has admitted to their mistake (must have been a misunderstanding from insider sources) and corrected the article, now indicating that Dougherty is indeed in-talks to direct. Of course, it still does talk about MechaGodzilla, but then again, these people only relay information and don't actually know much beyond what is happening in the moment:

http://screencrush.com/exclusive-godzilla-2-director/

And as I said elsewhere, El Mayimbe is about 50-50 with accuracy, and a lot of its so-called "scoops" that turn-out to be truthful are merely guesses or rumors formed from previous knowledge. So I really don't know about this one, we should just await further confirmation and not argue about it, because neither of these sources are the best.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

The_Olden_Thing
Monarch Researcher

Post by The_Olden_Thing »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Edwards an Tull just shared the same vision, it was a solid attempt. The biggest fault of G-2014 is the script. Seems like Tull has learned from a previous mistake hopefully.
That's what you get when you use a story by David Callahan. Hell, his treatment pre-Borenstein is, from what I understand even worse with the whole "hiding Godzilla" nonsense.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's always been a bit foggy to me. First I heard Callaham's treatment was thrown out completely and Goyer came up with a new story outline which Borenstein fleshed out and then from which he devised his script. Recently I've been hearing nore or less the opposite that Goyer and Borenstein simply tweeked Callaham's draft into the version we got on film. The whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I've heard numerous different accounts on the matter.

Added in 9 minutes 6 seconds:
So we still don't know for certain. The Wrap suggests LP isn't even looking at a director at this point but Screen Crush is still addament that he is at least in the running. I mean I'm pretty sure his is on LP's mind but I'm still pretty weary of their sources.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

I dont trust El Mayimbe for shit when it comes to scoops.

However, that being said, I could see this Michael Dougherty thing panning out.
Member of TK Since 2006

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

On Oct. 20th, I wrote:. Half of today's news is IMDB official!

script by Zach Shields (Krampus, The Conjuring, Trick r Treat: Making Friends) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1296461/

And here's the other half! Mr. Dougherty is currently double credited, nice going ScreenCrush. :roll:

director/script by Michael Dougherty (Krampus, Superman Returns, two X-Men) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1002424/

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:So we still don't know for certain. The Wrap suggests LP isn't even looking at a director at this point but Screen Crush is still addament that he is at least in the running. I mean I'm pretty sure his is on LP's mind but I'm still pretty weary of their sources.
Like I said, this is the problem with "insider" or "exclusive" information. Only when official Twitter accounts (directors, screenwriters, producers, etc) and sequential reports confirm a development can we be certain. The only scoops that TheWrap (Umberto Gonzalez/El Mayimbe) gets correct are usually rumors or things that fans could have hypothesized.
3000 wrote:I dont trust El Mayimbe for shit when it comes to scoops.

However, that being said, I could see this Michael Dougherty thing panning out.
El Mayimbe was the guy who said the article was false and that there was no way in hell they were looking for a director at this point, not the writer of said article.

And he was right, in-part: Screencrush has since updated their article establishing the fact that, yes, they did in fact make a mistake, but Dougherty was still in-talks.

TheSecondComing, it's one big equation: (Source that makes accidental error in passage) + (Source that can be manipulated by anybody) = (False listings).
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Dougherty writing is a step up from Borenstein. With a big production like this, you have Producers who want certain things and I believe one of them came out and pretty much said "We're going to give you all that stuff you wanted in the first", we know that Legendary has licensed Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah for this Kaiju-verse. We know they are building to Godzilla vs Kong.

So there are parameters and requirements of the film shaping up that writers could easily work with. I feel like they'll be gunning for a more high-profile, blockbuster savvy director than Dougherty.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Judging by Dougherty's works with the horror genre, that might mean this sequel could end up more dark and grim than its predecessor.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I don't know I don't see how a four way monster fight could be very dark. G14 was the best opportunity for that but with Godzilla 2 I feel a more fun film is in order. Especially with a lighter character like Mothra possibly in the mix.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Mothra doesn't have to be "light".

Remember when Godzilla was known as the personification of death and the dangers of nuclear war in 1954? Well a dozen years later, he was already a hero.

The darker atmosphere fits Godzilla best. I don't want this veering into Transformers territory

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I mean fun as in like the Jurassic Park films or something. Hell even the rather dark Terminator 2 had some fun moments. We don't need an over the top Transformers type film to be fun.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Godzilla 2's status on IMDB has been upgraded to "Pre-Production" now instead of "In Development"

Yes, I know that it's IMDB, we've been basing this whole thread off of IMDB since day 1, so it doesn't make that big of a difference either way you slice it

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Ryguy wrote:Godzilla 2's status on IMDB has been upgraded to "Pre-Production" now instead of "In Development"

Yes, I know that it's IMDB, we've been basing this whole thread off of IMDB since day 1, so it doesn't make that big of a difference either way you slice it
That's a nice find thanks, regardless on true or not we should expect that. Pretty cool an glad to see things moving along... Wonder if they'll have anything to say about it at Comic Con 2017.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Don't see why not they should be gearing up for the casting stage by that point.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

We still have basically a whole school year until then, so it's reliant on how far they've progressed by that point, I would assume. However, they've been advancing very nicely as of late, especially for a 2019 release date

Legendary should just get Dougherty in the chair and call it good, m'kay? We all want him, you know WE want him, we know YOU want him.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

On Oct. 20, Ryguy wrote:After consideration, I have decided to add these guys. These two listings are probably hoaxes yet again, but might as well:

#17.

Music by Junkie XL (The Amazing Spiderman 2, Deadpool, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)

#18.

Music by Brian Tyler (Iron Man 3, Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron)

As expected, we've gotten some cleanup and the count is back down to #17. Brian Tyler has been DELETED.

Added in 21 hours 5 minutes 16 seconds:
(11/3) #18. Happy birthday, Godzilla! Listing doesn't sound likely to me, but as usual, we'll see.

conceptual artist Justice Joseph (The Lion King: Timon and Pumbaa's Jungle Games, Bright, 4 episodes Starpocalypse) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3139812/

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Eh, everybody has to start somewhere

Added in 2 hours 33 minutes 19 seconds:
Just got out of Doctor Strange and am using my phone in an Uber right now, but here is another listing:

#19.

Storyboard Artist Richard Bennet (Captain America: Civil War, Kong: Skull Island, Avengers: Infinity War)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1635540/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr9

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I mean fun as in like the Jurassic Park films or something. Hell even the rather dark Terminator 2 had some fun moments. We don't need an over the top Transformers type film to be fun.
Damn you.

Now I want some newly orphaned child on a motorcycle evading a kaiju battle exactly like in Terminator 2. Perhaps evading Mothra larvae. Or Godzilla.
LegendZilla wrote:Judging by Dougherty's works with the horror genre, that might mean this sequel could end up more dark and grim than its predecessor.
Considering the MUTO are dead, Godzilla can't be stopped by anything else the people in the movie know. He'll be traditional Godzilla and everyone who cheered for him like a moron at the end of the movie will be fearing for their lives. Without a balance, he can dominate and destroy.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

THE PLOT THICKENS:

So I decided to check everybody's LinkedIn's/official sites last night and discovered that Mauricio Ruiz has confirmed his involvement with Godzilla. But here's the kicker: he listed the release date as 2018.

It's possible that he may have made a mistake, but keep in mind everything that has been going-down for the past two months. Would Legendary really be wasting all their shits on a movie releasing in nearly fucking April of 2019? The uncertainty is killing me, man!

Nonetheless, we now have another confirmation, and maybe I'm over-analyzing all of this
Last edited by Ryguy on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Ryguy wrote:THE PLOT THICKENS:

So I decided to check everybody's LinkedIn's/official sites last night and discovered that Mauricio Ruiz has confirmed his involvement with Godzilla. But here's the kicker: he listed the release date as 2018.

It's possible that he may have made a mistake, but the only other time he has made one is with The Predator, which he lists as 2017. Keep in-mind that both of these films are still in the early production stages and release dates in certain nations outside of the USA are almost always earlier.

Nonetheless, we now have another confirmation, and maybe I'm over-analyzing all of this
What role does Mauricio Ruiz have in the film business?