Burning Godzilla; Yay or Nay?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Should Godzilla become Burning G at some point in the series?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes
20%
No
53%
maybe
27%

Total votes: 70

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Burning Godzilla; Yay or Nay?

Post by g2vd »

NSZ wrote:I think what Ian Malcom said about people doing things because they could rather than thinking about whether or not they should is applicable here.

Could they do it? Oh, hell yeah.

Should they do it? Not really no. Burning G's a one trick pony that we've already seen. We know the damn outcome. Godzilla dies. Boom. Any sort of suspense is gone.
To be fair it's not like GVD had any sort of suspense around that either, not with the giant poster that just said "Godzilla dies".
Godzilla

bugmolly
Monsterland Worker

Post by bugmolly »

I think Burning Godzilla could work and the plot could be about finding a cure for Godzilla so he doesn't go into nuclear melt down and take the rest of the world with him

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

Not just to do it, by way of some nostalgic fanservice. But if the story called for him to overheat/meltdown in that way, I'd be cool with it.

As for whether or not it's a good idea because we all already know the outcome, I daresay there are plenty of ticket-buying moviegoers in the western world who have never seen GVD and have no idea what a "Burning Godzilla" is. So I wouldn't let the fact that the core fanbase has already seen the trick done keep me from doing it, any more than I'd throw it in just to please that core audience.
"Is he strong?" No, not really. He's got radioactive blood, after all.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I like to think that they could easily change the outcome by either actually having him explode / going into meltdown or having him not die at all. Not sure why everyone thinks the ending would automatically be the exact same.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Gerdzerl wrote:I like to think that they could easily change the outcome by either actually having him explode / going into meltdown or having him not die at all. Not sure why everyone thinks the ending would automatically be the exact same.
Agreed. I think they don't have to do the same exact thing.

Though I think it would be better to do this again in a godzilla series with a diffferent tone, I'm not against burning godzilla. Thus I voted maybe.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Gerdzerl wrote:Not sure why everyone thinks the ending would automatically be the exact same.
Because it takes away the impact Burning Godzilla had in vs Destoroyah?

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

2004Zilla wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:Not sure why everyone thinks the ending would automatically be the exact same.
Because it takes away the impact Burning Godzilla had in vs Destoroyah?
How so? The Godzilla vs. Destoroyah version of Burning Godzilla and it's story and it's tragic death would still exist by itself for those who didn't care for the (hypothetical) Legendary version.
Legendary BurningGoji wouldn't be replacing the old version by any means, whatsoever. It'd just an additional, alternate take on the character. Don't like that version? Don't look at it. It's not taking away anything from anybody, they can coexist. They'd be equally valid interpretations of the same, basic concept.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Exactly. They're not part of the same continuity.

Actually, if anything a good new burning godzilla would increase the impact of burning godzilla overall.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Context just applies more importantly to me. The reason why Burning Godzilla worked so well in VsD was because it really showed that Godzilla's end was near. It invoked a feeling of Godzilla being on his last breath, but at least he was going to go out with a bang. There are some things that are best when used as a one-time thing (Destoroyah himself being one of them), and Burning G's one of them. It feels like an thoughtless attempt to add fan service, unless they kill him off with it. Even then, I would still prefer something new.
Gerdzerl wrote:Don't like that version? Don't look at it
This is a flawed argument. One, it attempts to invalidate all criticisms because, "Some people like it, therefore you have to like it as well!" (does this mean everyone should just accept G'98?) Second, it's pretty hard to not look at a core concept in a two hour-film.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

What he's saying is that it isn't going to replace anything you like or had an impact on you. Not that you can't criticize it or have to like it.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Like I said, repeating a grand finale again feels like fanservice for the sake of fanservice.

Not having Burning Godzilla die at the end defeats the purpose of Godzilla's meltdown mode.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but okay, let's discuss opinions then.
2004Zilla wrote:Like I said, repeating a grand finale again feels like fanservice for the sake of fanservice.

Not having Burning Godzilla die at the end defeats the purpose of Godzilla's meltdown mode.
Not really, IMO. I guess it is a little fanservicy, but I don't consider that too much of a bad thing. Again, I feel like this is not the right series, but if it hypothetically fitted in to the story, I'd be all for it. I've seen grand finales repeated many times anyway, this wouldn't be anything new.

Plus it'd be new for the GA.
Last edited by TetsukiGroudon on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

2004Zilla wrote:Like I said, repeating a grand finale again feels like fanservice for the sake of fanservice.

Maybe the meltdown mode could have a different purpose this time? Like as a super saiyan style power up? I mean, Godzilla's character is incredibly inconsistent in general, lol.

Yeah, you're right on this, I'll admit. Burning Goji would probably be better off returning in an animated movie, cartoon show, or comic series or something like that.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

I'd love to see Burning Godzilla rendered in modern FX, but save it for the final film of the trilogy I reckon.

Doubt it will happen, but hey, a man can dream. :)

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

TetsukiGroudon wrote:Not sure what that has to do with my post,
Probably because it didn't. Adding more of my points.
TetsukiGroudon wrote:Not really, IMO. I guess it is a little fanservicy, but I don't consider that too much of a bad thing.
Suddenly having Burning Godzilla thrown into the mix sticks out like a sore thumb, considering most Heisei era elements worked only because of the time period (how many people are actually going to buy into the idea of Spacegodzilla?). Ideas make an impact when done sparingly, not to mention in a unique manner, like the black-hole weapon in Vs Megaguirus and the Oxygen Destroyer. Burning Godzilla was made to close the/a series, and should stay that way.
TetsukiGroudon wrote:Again, I feel like this is not the right series, but if it hypothetically fitted in to the story, I'd be all for it.
That's the thing. There really isn't a place for it to fit in with the story, with Godzilla's new origin. Godzilla has no reason to have a radiation meltdown.
Gerdzerl wrote:Burning Goji would probably be better off returning in an animated movie, cartoon show, or comic series or something like that.
Rulers of Earth was pretty much just a giant love letter from IDW to us, so yeah, it could probably work in a comic.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

2004Zilla wrote:
TetsukiGroudon wrote:Not really, IMO. I guess it is a little fanservicy, but I don't consider that too much of a bad thing.
Suddenly having Burning Godzilla thrown into the mix sticks out like a sore thumb, considering most Heisei era elements worked only because of the time period (how many people are actually going to buy into the idea of Spacegodzilla?). Ideas make an impact when done sparingly, not to mention in a unique manner, like the black-hole weapon in Vs Megaguirus and the Oxygen Destroyer. Burning Godzilla was made to close the/a series, and should stay that way.
TetsukiGroudon wrote:Again, I feel like this is not the right series, but if it hypothetically fitted in to the story, I'd be all for it.
That's the thing. There really isn't a place for it to fit in with the story, with Godzilla's new origin. Godzilla has no reason to have a radiation meltdown.
1. Not really. I mean, this series is going to have ghidorah, right? The three headed space dragon? I mean, that seems a bit out of tone from the first movie, correct? Perhaps the series may be more fanatical as it goes on. And I'd honestly say that burning godzilla is less fanatical than ghidorah.

And who says burning godzilla can't end another series? One more appearance wouldn't hurt. Especially since you know, he's kind of being shown to a huge audience with a much bigger budget this time.

It just doesn't make anysense as this is a reboot, the whole purpose is to use new ideas and old ones from what I can tell.

2. You're assuming that this Burning Godzilla would be exactly the same, but they almost always make changes when it comes to reboots. New ideas can be added and old ones can be taken away to make something new. For all we know, burning godzilla could not be melting down at all, rather just overcharged from plenty of nuclear energy at once and not burning orange but blue. If that makes any sense. Not the best example for this serious, but an example on how it could be done differently.

You see, I'm not for burning godzilla, I simply don't completely deny the possibility, as unlikely as it might be. It's called being open minded. Writers have so many ways to do so many things, sometimes you can't even predict them.
Last edited by TetsukiGroudon on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

2004Zilla wrote: That's the thing. There really isn't a place for it to fit in with the story, with Godzilla's new origin. Godzilla has no reason to have a radiation meltdown.
This is certainly ostensibly true, based on what we've been told about the character thus far. But that doesn't mean at some point in the future this version of Godzilla can't feed on so much radiation (or even some other type of radiation, like cosmic rays) that it won't reach critical mass and start to meltdown. Admittedly, it isn't the most logical direction for this franchise to go in, based on the whole "bringing nature into balance" thing. But it can't be entirely ruled out simply because what we know about this G so far doesn't make it appear likely.

Ultimately, I don't really want a new Burning Godzilla either. I'm just not certain there are a lot of hard & fast rules about what can or can't happen with this Godzilla based on the little bit of backstory (much of which was conjecture) in the first film.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

TetsukiGroudon wrote:Not really. I mean, this series is going to have ghidorah, right?
Ghidorah has made numerous appearances throughout the franchise and has been established as one of Godzilla's greatest rivals, second only to MechaGodzilla.

Of course they're going to have him.

Don't tell me you thought a monster that's been in two different franchises is comparable to Burning G.
TetsukiGroudon wrote:And who says burning godzilla can't end another series? One more appearance wouldn't hurt. Especially since you know, he's kind of being shown to a huge audience with a much bigger budget this time.
Okay, it seems like you're missing the point here, so let me try simplifying it down:

Yes, they have the ability to do it. No, they shouldn't do it.

Having Burning Godzilla end yet ANOTHER trilogy makes it tedious. We've already seen it before. Changing it to where he just doesn't die is like having the Oxygen Destroyer appear in the sequel, but having it completely fail at killing any of the monsters.

To answer your point djkgoji, yes, it's not as "white and black" as I'm making it out to be. There's a lot left unanswered in Godzilla 2014's universe. But, given the nature of what Burning Godzilla is, I'm not convinced it can work a second time.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

2004Zilla wrote:
TetsukiGroudon wrote:Not really. I mean, this series is going to have ghidorah, right?
Ghidorah has made numerous appearances throughout the franchise and has been established as one of Godzilla's greatest rivals, second only to MechaGodzilla.

Of course they're going to have him.

Don't tell me you thought a monster that's been in two different franchises is comparable to Burning G.
TetsukiGroudon wrote:And who says burning godzilla can't end another series? One more appearance wouldn't hurt. Especially since you know, he's kind of being shown to a huge audience with a much bigger budget this time.
Okay, it seems like you're missing the point here, so let me try simplifying it down:

Yes, they have the ability to do it. No, they shouldn't do it.

Having Burning Godzilla end yet ANOTHER trilogy makes it tedious. We've already seen it before. Changing it to where he just doesn't die is like having the Oxygen Destroyer appear in the sequel, but having it completely fail at killing any of the monsters.
I'm saying that you think they shouldn't doesn't mean they couldn't. In fact, I've clearly stated that I'm not for burning godzilla, I simpily consider the possibility.

I'm not even going to bother on with ghidorah. That's for another thread another time.

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

A better comparison than Burning Godzilla/KingGhidorah might be Burning Godzilla and a Godzilla egg. Both were plot points created for specific films. Yes, the latter was done with the intent that the baby Godzilla which hatches out might appear in subsequent entries, while the former was simply something done to serve one story in one movie. But effectively, they were both plot devices employed by filmmakers to tell a particular story.

We've seen a baby Godzilla hatch from an egg on two different occasions, in unrelated films from two complete different eras of the franchise. Tonally, SOG and GVMG2 and the respective periods in which they were made couldn't be much farther apart, yet there was enough narrative potential in the idea of a baby Godzilla that the makers of the Heisei film decided to do it again. Nostalgia, marketing, and other things likely also played a part in the decision. It's unlikely anyone involved in the making of GVMG2 hesitated for even a second because they were afraid the idea of a baby Godzilla "wouldn't work" in the context of the 90s series.

The point is, if Legendary comes up with a workable idea for a Godzilla film in which he goes critical mass for whatever reason, they'll likely do it. And it's a bit premature to dismiss the notion as foolish or wrong-headed, since at this point none of us have any idea how they might employ such a plot device.