The Official Godzilla 2014 Design Thread 2.0

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: The Official Godzilla 2014 Design Thread 2.0

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Ya know I've said in the past that they most likely won't change Godzilla's design because general audiences would get confused.

But it just occurred to me today...Hulk. There have been 3 theatrical appearances of the Hulk. And his design is changed in all 3. Never caused confusion with movie goers, and fans liked each subsequent change.

So I suppose if any noticeable changes are made to Godzilla, won't really be all that bad.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I just want to see change in the sense that CGI will have gotten better by 2018, as in much more detail added on an already fantastic looking Godzilla; like more scales and ridges, more teeth, more scars, and more facial expressions.

Not just change for the sake of change.

#BotM

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Godzilla165 wrote:I just want to see change in the sense that CGI will have gotten better by 2018, as in much more detail added on an already fantastic looking Godzilla; like more scales and ridges, more teeth, more scars, and more facial expressions.

Not just change for the sake of change.
Well should any new directors come along, I think I'd be fine with making either subtle or noticeable changes. Then again since I'm not a fan of his face design, I'd be open to the idea of a change there. Not that it has a realistic chance of happening though. But I don't think it would be so shocking.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Just the feet. Please, Legendary, fix Godzilla's feet. They're too damn stubby. I'm not saying make them as big as Toho G's feet, but fix them, por favor.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

This is easily one of my favorite Godzilla designs of all time. He looks powerful and muscular but not humanoid like certain other Godzilla designs. The plates on his back are just right to me: not very small and not overdone; they look like small jagged mountains on his back, aiding in his ancient appearance. I think my favorite thing about this Godzilla is the armor plating and texture on him, it makes him look capable of taking a few good hits and the roughness in some areas helps the ancient motif.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Legendary Gojira wrote:Just the feet. Please, Legendary, fix Godzilla's feet. They're too damn stubby. I'm not saying make them as big as Toho G's feet, but fix them, por favor.
Toho's the one in control, and they think it's a good enough design....so it's probably not going to change like that. It's established what Godzilla looks like in this canon, so this is what we have; no changing it.

If you want traditional Toho feet, then Toho's making their own Godzilla movie which will probably be more traditional; but asking a team to change their Godzilla because someone doesn't like it is being selfish.

I mean, not liking the design is fine, but all of the complaints from May last year to now of "FIX GOIDZILLER'S FEETZ LEGENDURY" are getting really annoying and overlooking that without this design and movie, we'd probably still be in a dry period of Godzilla movies. As much as someone can dislike the design, they can't say it needs "fixing"; because it's not THEIR Godzilla, it's LEGENDARY'S Godzilla. We have no power over the design, so constantly whining about it is useless.

I'm honestly debating if the bitching about a tree getting destroyed is less annoying than the bitching about mutant archosaur feet at this point. :p
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

^ Not to precipitate on your parade, but bitching is kinda this whole forum.

Karmataurus
Monarch Researcher

Post by Karmataurus »

Personally, I LOVE the feet! They just work. I dunno...

The only major changes visually would be to make the spines a bit bigger and have them glow a lot more vibrantly when charging up.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Yeah I love the feet, and they work perfectly for this design, which conveys just absolutely heavy mass and power. I hope they remain.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Jiragozira14 wrote:
Legendary Gojira wrote:Just the feet. Please, Legendary, fix Godzilla's feet. They're too damn stubby. I'm not saying make them as big as Toho G's feet, but fix them, por favor.
Toho's the one in control, and they think it's a good enough design....so it's probably not going to change like that. It's established what Godzilla looks like in this canon, so this is what we have; no changing it.

If you want traditional Toho feet, then Toho's making their own Godzilla movie which will probably be more traditional; but asking a team to change their Godzilla because someone doesn't like it is being selfish.

I mean, not liking the design is fine, but all of the complaints from May last year to now of "FIX GOIDZILLER'S FEETZ LEGENDURY" are getting really annoying and overlooking that without this design and movie, we'd probably still be in a dry period of Godzilla movies. As much as someone can dislike the design, they can't say it needs "fixing"; because it's not THEIR Godzilla, it's LEGENDARY'S Godzilla. We have no power over the design, so constantly whining about it is useless.

I'm honestly debating if the bitching about a tree getting destroyed is less annoying than the bitching about mutant archosaur feet at this point. :p

I did say to not make them big as Toho's feet. I don't want them that big. I'd just rather they look more theropodian as opposed to sauropodian. If not that, maybe more like a crocodilian, with webbed toes to match his webbed fingers (which is another reason I can't understand why Legendary went with the stubby feet--at least match his hands, which are webbed, and makes sense with him spending much time in the water).

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

That would just ruin the flow of the design, as neither option would fit.

#BotM

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Legendary Gojira wrote: I did say to not make them big as Toho's feet. I don't want them that big. I'd just rather they look more theropodian as opposed to sauropodian. If not that, maybe more like a crocodilian, with webbed toes to match his webbed fingers (which is another reason I can't understand why Legendary went with the stubby feet--at least match his hands, which are webbed, and makes sense with him spending much time in the water).
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21026
Godzilla

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

I dont get how people can say this
looks like this
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

Joleim
Yojimbo

Post by Joleim »

Easily in my top 3 Godzilla designs. Worthy to fit the Godzilla name!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:I dont get how people can say this
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/83/5kmc.jpg
looks like this
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366 ... apato6.jpg
I do. The only difference is the toes.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

looks like this
They're similar, just that the claws on Godzilla are a bit longer. At least, that's how I see them. Nothing wrong with that, though. As long as they're not purely nubs.

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

looks like this

I think if they did this, most complaining wouldn´t exist

astroturf
Terminated
Terminated

Post by astroturf »

hi guys, just thought id drop by to say how much i love the design on this godzilla. I thought i would contribute and submit something i was working on, though not 100% accurate YET i hope this atleast gives a good perspective in a morning style light, cheers friends

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

kamilleblu wrote:Regarding Godzilla's design:

"Yeah what we said to the designers that you have to try and frame it in a way that you know we gonna get Godzilla but try and update it. What we said was imagine that like 60 years ago like Godzilla's a real animal that really existed. He's in the ocean and he comes out 60 years ago and he was witnessed by people in Japan, and no one took a picture but they went running and screaming back to Toho Studios and made the original films and tried to describe him to them. They went off and made all the movies that we know and love and in our film you're gonna get to see the idea of them, you're gonna get to see the original animal that they witnessed so you should be able to correlate it and go oh I see from the description at how they arrived at that guy in a suit but that would give us a bit of license to bring it up to date a bit and make it more realistic potentially."- Gareth Edwards

So apparently Toho employees saw this:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/ ... 7teur6.jpg

And produced this:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... 4-01-g.jpg
Imagine this concept was canon in the Legendary universe with the Godzilla franchise as we know it actually existing in that universe.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

^It makes sense to a standpoint. People got dragons from dinosaur bones, so a live creature that shoots nuclear fire is discovered by the Japanese around the same time as Hiroshima went off...the public would take it as a metaphor instead of a fictional portrayal of a historical event.

That reminds me of the Kimmel interviews where people believed the original Godzilla film really happened... but watch it in the lens of it not being a bunch of ignorant people. Maybe Gojira bombed in Japan because it was thought of as distasteful to the victims of the real monster itself, in the same vein if there was an equally distasteful film about 9/11.

If it didn't bomb, I doubt Mothra, Ghidorah or other staple creatures are in it. But if it didn't I hope they wouldn't be in the alternate timeline largely because having a sequel where pieces of meta fiction predicting and foreshadowing major plot elements would be highly problematic and stupid. The only most known are the MUTO and Godzilla, so I'd rather that if the real movies are included, they make alternate film posters to prevent that feeling.