Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
GR8GODZILLAGOD
Futurian
Posts: 1761
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:05 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby GR8GODZILLAGOD » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:31 pm

20th Century Boy wrote:This time around they should also add an Akira Ifukube track.

I really don't see Akira Ifukube's music fitting in these films.The score needs the be one that is the right combination of feeling like Godzilla but also feeling like these new films. I'm for replacing Desplat since his score didn't feel like Godzilla and it didn't match the film, but this is one example of "more of the same" that we don't need.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Image

User avatar
ScrumpBump
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby ScrumpBump » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Music wise, they could do something like they did in Godzilla 2000 and remix(?) a Ifukube track or two like this:



Just pepper them in here and there.
Mistakes "Quote" for "Edit" more often then he wishes to admit .
“People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty.”

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10037
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:19 pm

I'd love for DJawadi to take a crack at it. Not because of his Pacific Rim score but Game of Thrones. A GoT like score would be perfect for the franchise. He can do rousing heroic themes like the GoT main theme but also really dark creepy and foreboding motifs like his Whitewalkers theme. The fact he's done several scores for Legendary already only improves his chances. Him or Giachinno.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image
Image

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3099
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:19 am

20th Century Boy wrote:Here's my wishlist for Godzilla 2:

-The only returning characters should be Serizawa and Graham. Give them a little more character development, too; put them through hell and let their true colors show.


I agree, although I'd like to see Admiral Stenz return as well.

IMO, those three characters would work very well as a reoccurring supporting cast since they nicely fill three roles many Godzilla films need to fill (the Scientist, his Assistant, and the Military Leader). That opens up the leads to fill other roles, and was something I liked about Heisei. It's also similar to how the James Bond series operates: Bond, the reoccurring supporting cast (M, Moneypenny, and Q), and then the rest of the leads are new each time (the Bond Girl, the Femme Fatale, the Villain and his Dragon, etc.).

I've thought about it a few times now and, honestly, I can't really think of what they would do with Ford & Co. if they brought him back. Joe, I could see. But Ford? Ford's story seemed pretty well wrapped up by the time the credits rolled.

20th Century Boy wrote:-Get rid of Alexander Desplat. His score outside of the opening them was mediocre at best. This time around they should also add an Akira Ifukube track.


I disagree about Desplat's score, but I'd have no issue with replacing him. If we did, I'd love to have Ramin Djawadi take a crack at it. ^_^ His scores for Game of Thrones and Pacific Rim were great!

As for Ifukube, eh. No, I think I'd rather not have any Ifukube scores. I love them, but I don't think they're needed or necessary.

20th Century Boy wrote:-Get rid of Max Borenstein. I know it wouldn't happen, but it would honestly help the movie.


Again, I disagree. If they did change writers, though, who would you prefer?

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby KManX89 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:35 am

g2vd wrote:I just still don't understand why everybody wants all the characters in one movie.


Because some people, like myself, don't feel like waiting until 2020 or later to see that planet-destroying badass in $multi-mil CGI, and no, it's not too early for him, ever seen The Dark Knight? Because he pretty much is Godzilla's equivalent of the Joker.

Plus, like I've said so many times, this means we can get MechaGodzilla or Destoroyah for G3.

Thanos was actually in GotG, only 2 years later, by the way, and they didn't try to pass his post credit scene off as a tie-in to Avengers: Age of Ultron, whereas this was directly advertised as an advert for Godzilla 2 in advance, that's the difference. Hence, people will be pissed. They were specifically told going in that it was a reveal for the second movie at CC this year, so people will throw bitchfits about being lied to if he's not in it.

Again, it would be just like showing a Justice League teaser trailer with Darkseid in it, only for them to not show him until Justice League 2, you're basically telling them he is going to be in it by giving them a first JL movie teaser with him and advertising it as a reveal for the first Justice League film at CC, and then pull the rug from underneath them. That would cause a huge shitstorm, guar-damn-tee it. If you thought people were up-in-arms about being lied to about Cranston being the lead in G14, there would be people crying foul and "they lied to us" like there's no goddamn tomorrow if they did that.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3099
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:01 am

KManX89 wrote:
g2vd wrote:I just still don't understand why everybody wants all the characters in one movie.


Because some people, like myself, don't feel like waiting until 2020 or later to see that planet-destroying badass in $multi-mil CGI, and no, it's not too early for him, ever seen The Dark Knight? Because he pretty much is Godzilla's equivalent of the Joker.

Plus, like I've said so many times, this means we can get MechaGodzilla or Destoroyah for G3.


And like I said earlier, we already have an example of a movie with all four characters in it (GTTHM), and that movie actually does a really good job balancing them all with a twisty exciting story that has a pretty large cast on its own. (As I've said elsewhere, I really like GTTHM because of how well the story is constructed and skillfully the plots weaved together.)

If GTTHM can do it with a fraction of the budget, less than a year from start-to-finish, and only 93 minutes, I'm certain LP can pull it off with two years, $100+ Million, and 120 minutes.

User avatar
JGAR
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3567
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am
Location: Gotham City, Gotham

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby JGAR » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:31 am

^Give this guy a cookie :mrgreen:

g2vd wrote:
JGAR wrote:If they don't all appear in Godzilla 2, then what will happen in Godzilla 2? Are we still going to see new monsters instead of Toho monsters? skreeonk that poop.

Yeah because after all we don't need new monsters screw that :roll:. the reason I don't want them all in the second one, is because I want every character to have their own developement time and perfect amount of screen time. and most likely there will be one Toho Kaiju in the second movie probably both Mothra and Rodan will be in the 2nd one and don't tell me that crap about oh they showed a trailer and if they aren't all in the second one then a lot of fans will be pissed. what about Thanos yeah Marvel fans had Thanos shown in the first Avengers movie in 2012 and he won't be in a movie until what exactly oh yeah 2018. so almost 7 years pretty long time and yet they wait why couldn't we wait.


As said above, we already had a movie were all 4 monsters were used and had a fair amount of screen time. That movie also is considered as one of the best in the series, and it was only around 90 minutes in length, imagine 150 minutes? Also, how do you make a Godzilla movie with Mothra and Rodan, who's going to be the villain? Thanos was never announced to be in the next Avengers movie (he could be as a post credits scene cameo), he was just revealed as the main baddie.
Yooo 8-)

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby KManX89 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjNKj7XJ-bM#t=122

There you go, right then and there, Jessica Chobot and Thomas Tull both flat out say, very distinctly, "Godzilla 2", emphasis added on "2", and this is taken straight from the G2 panel at CC. It was also advertised as a Godzilla sequel, not sequelS, panel weeks, if not months in advance.

So... yeah, not the same thing at all with regards to the Thanos comparison. If they showed the A2 logo after the Thanos post-credits scene in A1 (assuming it weren't already titled Age of Ultron, of course), it would be a valid comparison (because that's exactly what they're doing here with regards to Ghidorah: revealing him at CC under the guise of it being a G2 panel and advertising it as such beforehand), but they didn't, and like I said in my last post, he was in GotG, which was only *2* years after the fact, not 6-8 years.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
GR8GODZILLAGOD
Futurian
Posts: 1761
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:05 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby GR8GODZILLAGOD » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:24 am

Pkmatrix wrote:And like I said earlier, we already have an example of a movie with all four characters in it (GTTHM), and that movie actually does a really good job balancing them all with a twisty exciting story that has a pretty large cast on its own. (As I've said elsewhere, I really like GTTHM because of how well the story is constructed and skillfully the plots weaved together.)

If GTTHM can do it with a fraction of the budget, less than a year from start-to-finish, and only 93 minutes, I'm certain LP can pull it off with two years, $100+ Million, and 120 minutes.

Because GTTHM only had to introduce one new monster and its origins instead of 3 if all 4 appear in G2.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Image

User avatar
ScouseGojira
Samurai
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby ScouseGojira » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:27 am

Thomas Tull says what we have planned "In the future" Not specifically Godzilla 2. Jesscia Chobot then asked, "So you're extending the Godzilla franchise?" and Thomas Tull said yeah. Don't be surprised if they're not all in Godzilla 2 and don't be surprised if next years comic-con announces a Mothra/Rodan standalone film for 2017. I think Godzilla as a franchise has huge potential. Head and shoulders above Universal's plans for classic movie monsters and I think they're gonna capitalise on their relationship with Toho to really push on with a shared kaiju universe. A big budget Mothra or Rodan movie would make a profit if the trailers sell it well enough don't worry about that. I might be a million miles away, but I think there's something in my guesses here. Think especially about the game that's being distributed in the US in July, if that does well, then Kaiju will be on many peoples agenda.

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3099
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:23 am

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:Because GTTHM only had to introduce one new monster and its origins instead of 3 if all 4 appear in G2.


...And, again, as I said: unless we're going to get into the nitty-gritty of Rodan's backstory with the Meganulons and his mate, basically NONE of it is necessary. If they wanted, they could skip it entirely and cover it with a line of dialogue. Rodan doesn't require a whole act to set up, while Mothra definitely DOES. Mothra comes while a whole setting, a bunch of characters, and backstory that need to be introduced first before you can work with her - King Ghidorah doesn't have as much, but enough that you can't just toss him in with nothing (and, to make things easier, I can see them tying the two together: Mothra = Light, KG = Darkness).

That's why I suggested starting with Godzilla fighting Rodan. Rodan is the only one that doesn't really need a whole lot of back story to set up. Just look at GvMG'93, for example, where he had a big part and has basically no set up at all for his big reintroduction after 25 years. Cut back on the time devoted to setting up Rodan (let him win audiences over with his sheer awesome alone, his personality and his speed are enough IMO if we start with him going toe-to-toe with Godzilla), and that leaves plenty of time to spend reintroducing Mothra and King Ghidorah.

Another thing to remember is that all three are PROBABLY going to have new origins. Mothra will probably retain the concept and backstory, but I doubt we'll be running through the Mothra plot again (probably the most exciting thing about them using Mothra is the idea they might do something NEW with her). KG might have a very similar origin to the original, but probably augmented with extra backstory tying him into Mothra's mythos. The writer will probably have 40 to 50 minutes to set that up, which if we're going to focus primarily on Mothra and KG is plenty of time IMO. And if we get more Godzilla and Rodan too in the meantime? That much better. ^_^

User avatar
PRIMEVAL
Futurian
Posts: 1678
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Shores of Cleveland
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby PRIMEVAL » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:39 am

As long as they don't bring in the Dorats and Time Travel, I think it'll turn out fine.

User avatar
Legendary Gojira
Samurai
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Pacific Ocean

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby Legendary Gojira » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:54 pm

ScouseGojira wrote:Thomas Tull says what we have planned "In the future" Not specifically Godzilla 2. Jesscia Chobot then asked, "So you're extending the Godzilla franchise?" and Thomas Tull said yeah. Don't be surprised if they're not all in Godzilla 2 and don't be surprised if next years comic-con announces a Mothra/Rodan standalone film for 2017. I think Godzilla as a franchise has huge potential. Head and shoulders above Universal's plans for classic movie monsters and I think they're gonna capitalise on their relationship with Toho to really push on with a shared kaiju universe. A big budget Mothra or Rodan movie would make a profit if the trailers sell it well enough don't worry about that. I might be a million miles away, but I think there's something in my guesses here. Think especially about the game that's being distributed in the US in July, if that does well, then Kaiju will be on many peoples agenda.



I would love a stand alone Rodan film. In fact, out of Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidora, I'm more excited about Rodan's appearance in the Legendary movie-verse than the other two. Of course, Rodan is my second-favorite Toho monster.
Image

User avatar
GODZILLA2877
Interpol Agent
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby GODZILLA2877 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:18 pm

I think it would be cool if Godzilla fights Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah all at the same time. I feel like this movie will be similar to Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster and GMK.

User avatar
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2446
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby Underworld54 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Yes let's throw too many monsters together and have a jumbled mess in order to avoid having to wait longer...we already had one lackluster film, let's try to avoid another shall we?
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby KManX89 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:36 pm

But again I ask (and I've asked this before as well, JGAR): who's the villain going to be if Ghidorah's not in it? Mothra and Rodan are cool and all, but they're not Godzilla enemies, and it's definitely possible to fit all 4 of em in it together and make it work, have the movie start out with Godzilla and Rodan having some kind of story arch together (one guy said have em fight at the beginning of the movie, another said have em partake in a predator-scavenger relationship a while back, an idea which I liked very much), that leaves them plenty of time to develop Mothra and Ghidorah's stories while cutting the time needed to develop Rodan's. Hell, for Borenstein, this might actually be a blessing in disguise: that means he won't have to fill the movie's screentime with pointless/dull human scenes we don't care about and instead focus on the monsters even when they're not on screen. It'll also give him a reason to include Graham and Serizawa early and often in the script and not underuse them this time around (since they'll obviously have plenty of ground to cover).

Also, Tull said "a little bit of what we're planning for the future" meaning there's more new tidbits to come, pretty much implying the revealing of more Toho monsters down the line for later movies. Why would they publicly advertise the event as a G14 sequel reveal weeks in advance, show them a teaser with all 3 monsters at said event, and then not have all of em in it? They would basically be saying "oh no, you misunderstood us, that trailer we showed you guys was not for this one movie" despite the fact that they told them weeks earlier (specifically, might I add) that it was going to be a reveal for the second movie at the event, not a reveal for the Godzilla sequelS, so it would basically be like lying to them if they're not all in the movie, there's no two ways about it. Furthermore, care to explain why they didn't just go ahead and reveal the 4th Toho monster they got the rights to as well if they're not all going to be put in the same movie together? They might as well have gotten him out of the way, too, with that in mind, just sayin'.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
GR8GODZILLAGOD
Futurian
Posts: 1761
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:05 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby GR8GODZILLAGOD » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:56 pm

KManX89 wrote:But again I ask (and I've asked this before as well, JGAR): who's the villain going to be if Ghidorah's not in it? Mothra and Rodan are cool and all, but they're not Godzilla enemies,

Maybe instead of having one single monster be the villain of the film, we just have the entire massive conflict of Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan be the problem that the humans would have to deal with or overcome. Have that conflict be the "antagonist" if you will. It could bring it back to the kaiju being a force of nature like a hurricane. Having just 3 forces neutral to humans duking it with the people trying to survive it like a hurricane could work if done right. It's not my first choice for the sequel but it could work.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Image

User avatar
three
Keizer
Posts: 9474
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 am
Location: Hueco Mundo

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby three » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:29 am

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:And like I said earlier, we already have an example of a movie with all four characters in it (GTTHM), and that movie actually does a really good job balancing them all with a twisty exciting story that has a pretty large cast on its own. (As I've said elsewhere, I really like GTTHM because of how well the story is constructed and skillfully the plots weaved together.)

If GTTHM can do it with a fraction of the budget, less than a year from start-to-finish, and only 93 minutes, I'm certain LP can pull it off with two years, $100+ Million, and 120 minutes.

Because GTTHM only had to introduce one new monster and its origins instead of 3 if all 4 appear in G2.


they did a pretty good job of glossing over the origins in the first movie while also keeping them deep enough to satisfy an audience, if only excluding a few. i mean, you don't need to detail the complex origins of a monster like Ghidorah. just leave it up to the imagination, because it's a freakish creature even by kaiju standards. they won't need to sit there, explaining for 40 minutes of the film what creature came from where, why, and how. if they want to make this more detailed, i'm game, but i don't think its necessity really.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!


Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby KManX89 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:26 am

There were plenty of sites reporting a Godzilla sequel (singular) reveal at Comic Con this year in the weeks leading up to it. Nowhere did they say it would be a panel for future franchise installments beforehand, it was hyped up as a big reveal panel for the sequel, hence it would be no different than Zack Snyder showing the fans Darkseid at Justice League's panel and saving him for Justice League 2 (after straight-up telling em, in bold letters, that it was a reveal event for the first Justice League movie) as I mentioned earlier. Chobot and Tull even clearly said it themselves, "Godzilla 2" at the event right before they rolled the teaser footage (I linked to it on the last page), that tells you everything you need to know right there.

And I say "fill the movie's screentime with pointless/dull human scenes" because you know damn well that that would be Borenstein's most likely course of action with the second movie having just Rodan and/or Mothra. The less monster material there is to cover, the more room it leaves him to write filler human scenes with guys wandering around again, just something to think about. Also, if the sequel is just Mothra, then you're basically saying Godzilla will go after her in cold blood as she's not posing any kind of a threat to the planet, which would go against everything that was established in the first film. The MUTOs clearly did, *that*'s why he went after em in G14.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
GR8GODZILLAGOD
Futurian
Posts: 1761
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:05 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Postby GR8GODZILLAGOD » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:42 am

KManX89 wrote: then you're basically saying Godzilla will go after her in cold blood as she's not posing any kind of a threat to the planet, which would go against everything that was established in the first film. The MUTOs clearly did, *that*'s why he went after em in G14.

He went after them because he saw them as a threat to HIM. Mothra doesn't have to be a threat to the planet for Godzilla to think she's a threat to him. All he could have to think is just that she should stay the hell out of his territory and that would be enough.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Image


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests