Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sat May 25, 2019 3:21 am

Any new reactions?
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 am

gottatalktothefake wrote:Any new reactions?

I dunno, have there been any more preview screenings? If not, probably won't hear more before the embargo lifts on Tuesday.

As for the tone: as I said in the member reaction thread, it's lighter than G'14 but takes itself more seriously than K:SI. It's closer to K:SI in tone, but still more serious than that. Not quite sure what to compare to otherwise, honestly. Definitely, NOT like a Marvel film, those movies are practically comedies and this isn't that. Maybe more like the tone of an older school Action movie, where everyone's taking things fairly seriously but everyone once in a while the comic relief will make a wisecrack to lighten the mood.

Gyaos
Yojimbo

Postby Gyaos » Sat May 25, 2019 4:06 am

Mediocre reaction from Gavin Feng....

Gavin Feng
‏@gavinfeng97
2h2 hours ago
More
Yes, it easily beat Godzilla 2014. But script is still weak - human beings almost made every stupid mistake they could in the first 30 mins for let the story continue. Crazy fights in the 2nd & 3rd act could make audience feel thrilled. Pace is average

His critic predictions...

Rotten Tomatoes - 65%
MetaCritic - 50/100
Audience Score - 80/100
CinemaScore - B+/A-
Last edited by Gyaos on Sat May 25, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGAR
EDF Soldier

Postby JGAR » Sat May 25, 2019 4:11 am

Can someone ban this guy^ All he’s doing is trolling, that’s all. BOT saw through his bullsh*t and banned him minutes after he created the account.
Yooo 8-)

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:13 am

Lol Metacritic

Gyaos
Yojimbo

Postby Gyaos » Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 am

JGAR wrote:Can someone ban this guy^ All he’s doing is trolling, that’s all. BOT saw through his bullsh*t and banned him minutes after he created the account.

Yeah, ban me for posting Gavin's reaction from the screening, lol.

Give me a break.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Postby KillCrites » Sat May 25, 2019 4:39 am

Gyaos wrote:Mediocre reaction from Gavin Feng....

Gavin Feng
‏@gavinfeng97
2h2 hours ago
More
Yes, it easily beat Godzilla 2014. But script is still weak - human beings almost made every stupid mistake they could in the first 30 mins for let the story continue. Crazy fights in the 2nd & 3rd act could make audience feel thrilled. Pace is average

His critic predictions...

Rotten Tomatoes - 65%
MetaCritic - 50/100
Audience Score - 80/100
CinemaScore - B+/A-

Reposting this here:
eabaker wrote:
KillCrites wrote:I don't think that characters being stupid/making bad decisions is that valid of a complaint. Mistakes make us human, and a story where everybody does everything right and nothing goes wrong isn't really that interesting.

Yeah, characters making bad decisions is actually a pretty important component of storytelling. If the characters literally always make the best possible choices, then you either have a flat narrative in which nothing goes wrong, or a totally fatalistic one in which the characters' actions don't matter, because outcomes are fated.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:33 am

eabaker wrote:
KillCrites wrote:I don't think that characters being stupid/making bad decisions is that valid of a complaint. Mistakes make us human, and a story where everybody does everything right and nothing goes wrong isn't really that interesting.

Yeah, characters making bad decisions is actually a pretty important component of storytelling. If the characters literally always make the best possible choices, then you either have a flat narrative in which nothing goes wrong, or a totally fatalistic one in which the characters' actions don't matter, because outcomes are fated.

Playing devil’s advocate because from what I know it doesn’t apply to this film, but there’s definitely room for complaint when characters make stupid decisions, especially when it comes across as contrived rather than a realistic screw-up.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Sat May 25, 2019 5:37 am

G2000 wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Playing devil’s advocate because from what I know it doesn’t apply to this film, but there’s definitely room for complaint when characters make stupid decisions, especially when it comes across as contrived rather than a realistic screw-up.

I felt that the characters choice and decisions where clear and understandable even more than I thought they would going in it supplies subtle reasonings why they do a certain thing and their mindset
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 am

Good Lord, other forums have seen this reaction and are now going with ''doom and gloom'' it's one person's opinion with no facts behind it. There will be plenty of people who think this is the worst Godzilla film of all time.. It happens with every new movie. It's nothing new.
All we do know for a fact is that there is plenty of monster action, and the story is average enough to carry the film.

Expectations are in check, if it ends up better then great. The dude even said it was better then Godzilla 2014 and I enjoyed that so I already know I will like this film.
Last edited by XxComablack1937xX on Sat May 25, 2019 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sat May 25, 2019 5:41 am

Here’s something I don’t get about his prediction, he says it’s a clear improvement over G14, and yet he thinks it’ll score over 10 points less on every critic site
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Sat May 25, 2019 5:44 am

Yeah just accept that some people hate monster films and if they watch the film with that preposition this film is not gonna win them over hence why they hate it
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

gridiron_kaiju
Yin-Yang Master

Postby gridiron_kaiju » Sat May 25, 2019 5:46 am

I honest to God think people don’t know what they want in a Godzilla movie

Gyaos
Yojimbo

Postby Gyaos » Sat May 25, 2019 6:00 am

gridiron_kaiju wrote:I honest to God think people don’t know what they want in a Godzilla movie

I'd be thrilled with the Godzilla equivalent of Gamera 2 or 3.

Master Doot
Yojimbo

Postby Master Doot » Sat May 25, 2019 6:09 am

gottatalktothefake wrote:Here’s something I don’t get about his prediction, he says it’s a clear improvement over G14, and yet he thinks it’ll score over 10 points less on every critic site

That’s the thing with RottenTommatoes, it’s so hit or miss sometimes. Sometimes better movies get worse scores than their predecessors, but I just can’t see this movie getting lower than KSI and ‘14. Most accounts have been saying it’s better than both. But knowing RT, I wouldn’t be that surprised if it was lower than 75%.

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:11 am

gridiron_kaiju wrote:I honest to God think people don’t know what they want in a Godzilla movie

2014: "This has too many scenes of human characters and not enough Godzilla! Bad movie!"
2019: "This has too much monster action and not enough development for the human characters! Bad movie!"

It honestly reads like a comedy by this point :lol:

Added in 2 minutes 21 seconds:
Master Doot wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Here’s something I don’t get about his prediction, he says it’s a clear improvement over G14, and yet he thinks it’ll score over 10 points less on every critic site

That’s the thing with RottenTommatoes, it’s so hit or miss sometimes. Sometimes better movies get worse scores than their predecessors, but I just can’t see this movie getting lower than KSI and ‘14. Most accounts have been saying it’s better than both. But knowing RT, I wouldn’t be that surprised if it was lower than 75%.

Pretty much. While I can definitely see KOTM getting a not so high score, the fact that even KSI got a 75% certified fresh and that the reactions for KOTM so far were majorily positive makes me think it has a chance to surprise.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat May 25, 2019 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

warman222
Interpol Agent

Postby warman222 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:18 am

This. This a thousand times over. I think it's because most people who are "casual" fans of Godzilla and kaiju films have never actually SEEN them. Like they have their preconceived notions of what's in em but have only like a cursory experience of the films themselves. It's unfortunate because you know they don't give a crap to actually look into it themselves and yet will still endlessly critique and skreeonk.

I still think it's ultimately going to be positively received. I hope anyway. It plays to the strengths of what kaiju films are about and addresses issues most have with the 2014 film. I just hope we don't get too many idiots complaining about cutaways that you get in like every other film ever made because for some reason here it's bad. Honestly no matter what we're gonna get reviews and video essays that act all contrarian and stir negativity(or positive if the film got negatively received). Like it's an unfortunate reality of media right now, you get either positive or negative reception then a backlash to said reception and then a backlash to the backlash. Rinse and repeat. Hell you can easily see that on this very forum. Cause everyone's opinions are fleeting and insincere.
Last edited by warman222 on Sat May 25, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

scandisk_
Ronin

Postby scandisk_ » Sat May 25, 2019 6:25 am

An improvement over G14 but 10 points lower in aggregate score?

Did film standards change that much? LOL

Anyhoo, there's one positive early review on youtube. The dude gave it a solid 8
Last edited by scandisk_ on Sat May 25, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gyaos
Yojimbo

Postby Gyaos » Sat May 25, 2019 6:34 am

From Gavin Feng...

7.0/10 on Douban, 9.0/10 on Taopiaopiao.

The first score is the equivalent of RT, the second is the audience score
Last edited by Gyaos on Sat May 25, 2019 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sat May 25, 2019 6:42 am

Gyaos wrote:From Gavin Feng...

7.0/10 on Douban, 9.0/10 on Taopiaopiao.

The first score is the equivalent of RT, the second is the audience score

Lol I think we’re good

I’d be satisfied with a 70 or more on RT. And seeing how the lowest prediction from someone who has seen it is 65, I think that’s in the cards

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”