Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby gottatalktothefake » Fri May 24, 2019 6:23 pm

We'll see if the tides change after tonight's screening, but given the sheer volume of positive reactions to mixed and negative reactions (86% are positive by the way, I've been keeping track) I doubt it at this point.
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4878
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Gyaos wrote:Fire Capers
@Fire_Capers
·
May 24
Saw #GodzillaMovie and it's not good at all. The final battle is great but the story and acting could not be worse. The post-credit scene isn't any fun and doesn't really set up Godzilla vs Kong. Huge disappointment.

This film is not getting fresh on RT, press F to pay respects. :roll:

Added in 53 seconds:
gottatalktothefake wrote:We'll see if the tides change after tonight's screening, but given the sheer volume of positive reactions to mixed and negative reactions (86% are positive by the way, I've been keeping track) I doubt it at this point.

I've kinda been keeping track a bit, but I'm sure you have the actual numbers, 86% definitely sounds accurate so far.

Better than G14 and K:SI with some weak elements that could be improved upon.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice. 竜主. ニューヨーク市. SaveTheAmazon.
tyrantgoji wrote:Rodan actually claps cheeks.

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4576
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby G2000 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:29 pm

Obviously we’re biased as Godzilla fans but I really don’t see why this film would be hated all that much

It’s not going to be the best movie ever and some people are going to hate it no matter what but it’s a big and loud and explosive blockbuster movie and those are typical well-liked
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9475
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Fri May 24, 2019 6:33 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Gyaos vs Legendzilla vs. BARAGONBREH vs. mothraviras for the top spot

Fixed that for you! :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1996
Yojimbo
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:51 pm
Location: In the pits of hell!
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby GodzillaFan1996 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:We'll see if the tides change after tonight's screening, but given the sheer volume of positive reactions to mixed and negative reactions (86% are positive by the way, I've been keeping track) I doubt it at this point.


PLEASE REGARD THIS AS YOU WILL, I'M INTOXICATED!

I didn't even realize there were negative reviews until I opened this thread up for my own message, I may have joined this forum in 2016, but I've been a Godzilla fan for 18/19 years and I've known about Tohokingdom since 2003. I hope to God (zilla) that this film does excellent in the box office!
Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4878
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 pm

G2000 wrote:Obviously we’re biased as Godzilla fans but I really don’t see why this film would be hated all that much

It’s not going to be the best movie ever and some people are going to hate it no matter what but it’s a big and loud and explosive blockbuster movie and those are typical well-liked

I do find it interesting that some people spend every blinking minute hating on a specific film as if that film had haunted them as a child. It's a bit odd, but as you said, we're biased since we grew up on this kinda stuff so we see even the smallest bits of potential shine through.

If Transformers can do fine, if corny MCU films can do fine, if the DCEU can make beaucoup money, if Venom can make 800 Million on a 50/50 general audience, if every monster film released post 2014 made money.

Then I don't see this one being any different than those, we'll be fine guys, let's just relax and let the cruise take us to our destination while we sip our martinis... Shaken, not stirred.
Image
Sith Apprentice. 竜主. ニューヨーク市. SaveTheAmazon.
tyrantgoji wrote:Rodan actually claps cheeks.

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby gottatalktothefake » Fri May 24, 2019 6:37 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:We'll see if the tides change after tonight's screening, but given the sheer volume of positive reactions to mixed and negative reactions (86% are positive by the way, I've been keeping track) I doubt it at this point.

I've kinda been keeping track a bit, but I'm sure you have the actual numbers, 86% definitely sounds accurate so far.

Better than G14 and K:SI with some weak elements that could be improved upon.

Adding in the reactions from the TK members and the reactions Gyaos found the numbers at this point are 53 positive, 5 mixed and 7 negative, approval rating at worst being 82. We'll see how it changes when reactions start coming in tomorrow morning.
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4878
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 24, 2019 6:39 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:We'll see if the tides change after tonight's screening, but given the sheer volume of positive reactions to mixed and negative reactions (86% are positive by the way, I've been keeping track) I doubt it at this point.

I've kinda been keeping track a bit, but I'm sure you have the actual numbers, 86% definitely sounds accurate so far.

Better than G14 and K:SI with some weak elements that could be improved upon.

Adding in the reactions from the TK members and the reactions Gyaos found the numbers at this point are 53 positive, 5 mixed and 7 negative, approval rating at worst being 82. We'll see how it changes when reactions start coming in tomorrow morning.

Was there another screening? Yeah hopefully we get tons of new reactions.

So once Tuesday rolls around, what happens? The RT score gets revealed and the embargo lifts?
Image
Sith Apprentice. 竜主. ニューヨーク市. SaveTheAmazon.
tyrantgoji wrote:Rodan actually claps cheeks.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1996
Yojimbo
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:51 pm
Location: In the pits of hell!
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby GodzillaFan1996 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:41 pm

If you want my feelings on this watch this video and then read the comments of Elnaucity (which is my channel) and you will see how I feel about all of this!
Image

User avatar
Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2094
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby Hokmuto » Fri May 24, 2019 6:41 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
I've kinda been keeping track a bit, but I'm sure you have the actual numbers, 86% definitely sounds accurate so far.

Better than G14 and K:SI with some weak elements that could be improved upon.

Adding in the reactions from the TK members and the reactions Gyaos found the numbers at this point are 53 positive, 5 mixed and 7 negative, approval rating at worst being 82. We'll see how it changes when reactions start coming in tomorrow morning.

Was there another screening? Yeah hopefully we get tons of new reactions.

So once Tuesday rolls around, what happens? The RT score gets revealed and the embargo lifts?

There will be a screening in China tomorrow and another the very next day I believe.
Long Live The King

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby gottatalktothefake » Fri May 24, 2019 6:44 pm

This is why I'm saying there will be reactions to come in the morning

https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/ ... 2855869440
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4878
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Ah so the screenings will be starting in about 10 minutes? Sweet, I'd stay up late and keep watch, but I don't know if the reactions will be immediate.
Image
Sith Apprentice. 竜主. ニューヨーク市. SaveTheAmazon.
tyrantgoji wrote:Rodan actually claps cheeks.

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4576
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby G2000 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:50 pm

I can’t read Mandarian
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
GodzillaFan1996
Yojimbo
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:51 pm
Location: In the pits of hell!
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby GodzillaFan1996 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 pm

They should wait in order to ingest what they have experienced before making rweviews.
Image

User avatar
Vandarker
Interpol Agent
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:15 am

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby Vandarker » Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 pm

A handful of negative reviews don't mean much. It's on par with Jurassic World and Pacific Rim 1, which got mixed to favorable reviews. while 70~80 percent of the audience are gonna like it or at least think that the pros outweigh the cons, another 20~30 percent are gonna dislike it and start spewing out negative reviews.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Man if only there was a poster here who knows Mandarin.....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby gottatalktothefake » Fri May 24, 2019 6:53 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Ah so the screenings will be starting in about 10 minutes? Sweet, I'd stay up late and keep watch, but I don't know if the reactions will be immediate.

11pm PST, it's almost 11 EST, it starts 3 hours from now
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4878
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 24, 2019 7:01 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Ah so the screenings will be starting in about 10 minutes? Sweet, I'd stay up late and keep watch, but I don't know if the reactions will be immediate.

11pm PST, it's almost 11 EST, it starts 3 hours from now

Dang, so close yet so far.

What were the reactions like towards G14 and K:SI right before release? Similar to this one or a bit more mixed?
Image
Sith Apprentice. 竜主. ニューヨーク市. SaveTheAmazon.
tyrantgoji wrote:Rodan actually claps cheeks.

User avatar
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff
Posts: 1166
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby cloverfan98 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:06 pm

KingKaiju wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I think if the complaints for the last film were, "It was too dark, and not enough monsters" then we should be fine with this film.


Also not so great human characters.


That seems to still be the same. Ah well, should be fine.


The human characters were pretty great in this. There's a whole lot of them who only say one or two lines but the main characters are well done if nothing original.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4878
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 24, 2019 7:13 pm

cloverfan98 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Also not so great human characters.


That seems to still be the same. Ah well, should be fine.


The human characters were pretty great in this. There's a whole lot of them who only say one or two lines but the main characters are well done if nothing original.

Without delving into spoilers of course, would you say Kyle Chandler was a standout favorite?

Was Charles Dance a favorite?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice. 竜主. ニューヨーク市. SaveTheAmazon.
tyrantgoji wrote:Rodan actually claps cheeks.


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests