Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JGAR
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by JGAR »

Can someone ban this guy^ All he’s doing is trolling, that’s all. BOT saw through his bullsh*t and banned him minutes after he created the account.
Yooo 8-)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Lol Metacritic

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

JGAR wrote:Can someone ban this guy^ All he’s doing is trolling, that’s all. BOT saw through his bullsh*t and banned him minutes after he created the account.
Yeah, ban me for posting Gavin's reaction from the screening, lol.

Give me a break.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Gyaos wrote:Mediocre reaction from Gavin Feng....

Gavin Feng
‏@gavinfeng97
2h2 hours ago
More
Yes, it easily beat Godzilla 2014. But script is still weak - human beings almost made every stupid mistake they could in the first 30 mins for let the story continue. Crazy fights in the 2nd & 3rd act could make audience feel thrilled. Pace is average

His critic predictions...

Rotten Tomatoes - 65%
MetaCritic - 50/100
Audience Score - 80/100
CinemaScore - B+/A-
Reposting this here:
eabaker wrote:
KillCrites wrote:I don't think that characters being stupid/making bad decisions is that valid of a complaint. Mistakes make us human, and a story where everybody does everything right and nothing goes wrong isn't really that interesting.
Yeah, characters making bad decisions is actually a pretty important component of storytelling. If the characters literally always make the best possible choices, then you either have a flat narrative in which nothing goes wrong, or a totally fatalistic one in which the characters' actions don't matter, because outcomes are fated.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

eabaker wrote:
KillCrites wrote:I don't think that characters being stupid/making bad decisions is that valid of a complaint. Mistakes make us human, and a story where everybody does everything right and nothing goes wrong isn't really that interesting.
Yeah, characters making bad decisions is actually a pretty important component of storytelling. If the characters literally always make the best possible choices, then you either have a flat narrative in which nothing goes wrong, or a totally fatalistic one in which the characters' actions don't matter, because outcomes are fated.
Playing devil’s advocate because from what I know it doesn’t apply to this film, but there’s definitely room for complaint when characters make stupid decisions, especially when it comes across as contrived rather than a realistic screw-up.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

G2000 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Playing devil’s advocate because from what I know it doesn’t apply to this film, but there’s definitely room for complaint when characters make stupid decisions, especially when it comes across as contrived rather than a realistic screw-up.
I felt that the characters choice and decisions where clear and understandable even more than I thought they would going in it supplies subtle reasonings why they do a certain thing and their mindset
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Good Lord, other forums have seen this reaction and are now going with ''doom and gloom'' it's one person's opinion with no facts behind it. There will be plenty of people who think this is the worst Godzilla film of all time.. It happens with every new movie. It's nothing new.
All we do know for a fact is that there is plenty of monster action, and the story is average enough to carry the film.

Expectations are in check, if it ends up better then great. The dude even said it was better then Godzilla 2014 and I enjoyed that so I already know I will like this film.
Last edited by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX on Sat May 25, 2019 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Here’s something I don’t get about his prediction, he says it’s a clear improvement over G14, and yet he thinks it’ll score over 10 points less on every critic site
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Yeah just accept that some people hate monster films and if they watch the film with that preposition this film is not gonna win them over hence why they hate it
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

I honest to God think people don’t know what they want in a Godzilla movie

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

gridiron_kaiju wrote:I honest to God think people don’t know what they want in a Godzilla movie

I'd be thrilled with the Godzilla equivalent of Gamera 2 or 3.

Master Doot
GPN Volunteer

Post by Master Doot »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Here’s something I don’t get about his prediction, he says it’s a clear improvement over G14, and yet he thinks it’ll score over 10 points less on every critic site
That’s the thing with RottenTommatoes, it’s so hit or miss sometimes. Sometimes better movies get worse scores than their predecessors, but I just can’t see this movie getting lower than KSI and ‘14. Most accounts have been saying it’s better than both. But knowing RT, I wouldn’t be that surprised if it was lower than 75%.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

gridiron_kaiju wrote:I honest to God think people don’t know what they want in a Godzilla movie
2014: "This has too many scenes of human characters and not enough Godzilla! Bad movie!"
2019: "This has too much monster action and not enough development for the human characters! Bad movie!"

It honestly reads like a comedy by this point :lol:

Added in 2 minutes 21 seconds:
Master Doot wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Here’s something I don’t get about his prediction, he says it’s a clear improvement over G14, and yet he thinks it’ll score over 10 points less on every critic site
That’s the thing with RottenTommatoes, it’s so hit or miss sometimes. Sometimes better movies get worse scores than their predecessors, but I just can’t see this movie getting lower than KSI and ‘14. Most accounts have been saying it’s better than both. But knowing RT, I wouldn’t be that surprised if it was lower than 75%.
Pretty much. While I can definitely see KOTM getting a not so high score, the fact that even KSI got a 75% certified fresh and that the reactions for KOTM so far were majorily positive makes me think it has a chance to surprise.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat May 25, 2019 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

This. This a thousand times over. I think it's because most people who are "casual" fans of Godzilla and kaiju films have never actually SEEN them. Like they have their preconceived notions of what's in em but have only like a cursory experience of the films themselves. It's unfortunate because you know they don't give a crap to actually look into it themselves and yet will still endlessly critique and bitch.

I still think it's ultimately going to be positively received. I hope anyway. It plays to the strengths of what kaiju films are about and addresses issues most have with the 2014 film. I just hope we don't get too many idiots complaining about cutaways that you get in like every other film ever made because for some reason here it's bad. Honestly no matter what we're gonna get reviews and video essays that act all contrarian and stir negativity(or positive if the film got negatively received). Like it's an unfortunate reality of media right now, you get either positive or negative reception then a backlash to said reception and then a backlash to the backlash. Rinse and repeat. Hell you can easily see that on this very forum. Cause everyone's opinions are fleeting and insincere.
Last edited by warman222 on Sat May 25, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

scandisk_
Ronin

Post by scandisk_ »

An improvement over G14 but 10 points lower in aggregate score?

Did film standards change that much? LOL

Anyhoo, there's one positive early review on youtube. The dude gave it a solid 8
Last edited by scandisk_ on Sat May 25, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

From Gavin Feng...

7.0/10 on Douban, 9.0/10 on Taopiaopiao.

The first score is the equivalent of RT, the second is the audience score
Last edited by Gyaos on Sat May 25, 2019 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Gyaos wrote:From Gavin Feng...

7.0/10 on Douban, 9.0/10 on Taopiaopiao.

The first score is the equivalent of RT, the second is the audience score
Lol I think we’re good

I’d be satisfied with a 70 or more on RT. And seeing how the lowest prediction from someone who has seen it is 65, I think that’s in the cards
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

We are 5 days away...
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

JGAR wrote:Can someone ban this guy^ All he’s doing is trolling, that’s all. BOT saw through his bullsh*t and banned him minutes after he created the account.
He is a troll but he's just reporting what someone else said.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Tbh 70% or 7/10 is a pretty reasonable overall rating if all of the reactions are anything to go by.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat May 25, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.