Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

Gyaos wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:Godzilla's head looks really small...especially in this shot:
That design is not better than the Bio-Goji, for example.

Head is too small, too block-head and too small of a snout.

I wonder if they ever considered a more traditional Heisei style Godzilla?

Added in 59 seconds:
Gojira18 wrote:
Godzilla 1986 wrote:For those interested, there’s a new Guess The Roar video out, and you can clearly hear Ghidorah’s bidibidibidi. Settles that one.
As for the script, well, #sloppydougherty strikes again, right? Meh. I’m fairly certain the script is fine, it’s just some of these guys’ tastes don’t favor what type of film this is.
Where?
What's the link?

Would love to hear the classic Ghidorah sound!
They did attempt a more "traditional" style, but in all honesty it would not have worked. This Godzilla is more organic, more natural feeling which is what they were going for, so it works. Something like the Heisei design wouldn't have looked right, I feel.

And sure. The link is http://www.instagram.com, #godzillakingofthemonsters. Its also not "classic", its updated. Its definitely a Ghidorah sound but more organic, natural, "real".
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KingKong2005 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:Eh, small snout should be fixed for the next film (as much as I'd hate the design to change as films progress)
What would you recommend they change it too?

I believe they said back in 2014 his face was inspired by that of an eagle with the snout of a bear, which sounds badass enough to me.
I'm just tryna get a bit of a longer snout :lol:
:lol: I getcha, but I just feel it'd look like he just got a bad nose job. Like here it doesn't look bad at all, but that could just be my love for the design.

Plus, to address the Biogoji>LegendGoji, mentioned earlier, I think KOTM Goji is a bit more proportionate in the new film than BioGoji was. Making for a much more natural predator-esque design. But like I said, could just be my love for the MV version..
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 18, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Gyaos wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:Godzilla's head looks really small...especially in this shot:
That design is not better than the Bio-Goji, for example.
Yes, it is

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Living Corpse wrote:At this point I don't give a skreeonk that Ghidorah walks like a Wyvern, Mothra is no longer a god and Godzilla's head is too small, I just want a fun movie I (and other fans) can be proud to point as a Hollywood adaption that people can start with when recommending Godzilla films instead of telling them to ignore everything made by the west for being bad or dull.
Care to elaborate?
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KingKong2005 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:At this point I don't give a skreeonk that Ghidorah walks like a Wyvern, Mothra is no longer a god and Godzilla's head is too small, I just want a fun movie I (and other fans) can be proud to point as a Hollywood adaption that people can start with when recommending Godzilla films instead of telling them to ignore everything made by the west for being bad or dull.
Care to elaborate?
That's not funny.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

That Ghidorah chitter is creepy and unnatural as hell. I believe we also heard that exact same noise in the reach Monarch video with Madison wayyy back when, funnily enough.

#BotM

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Living Corpse wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
Care to elaborate?
That's not funny.
Haha come on man I'm genuinely interested to hear what you have to say? We've barely seen Mothra so I'm curious :lol:
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mothra is still as much of a god as she was in her Showa/Millenium incarnations.

A beast worshipped as a god, by an ancient civilization. Same as Kong, same as Godzilla.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Tbh never cared for Heisei Godzilla's strange catface, and I honestly don't see how it could have worked in the setting with this design. I guess it's just my personal preference, but I always prefered 1954's oni/ogre like face and Millenium/Legendary's face, perfect combination of both reptilian and mammalian.

Tbh, I have no problem with the design in general- I actually love how bulky yet predatory it looks. He's fat yeah, but in a Crocodile/Komodo Dragon way of fat. And the short but broad snout makes sense for an animal with bone crushing jaws.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat May 18, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Dv-218 wrote:Tbh never cared for Heisei Godzilla's catface, and I honestly don't see how it could have worked in the setting with this design. I guess it's just my personal preference, but I always prefered 1954's oni/ogre like face and Millenium/Legendary's face, perfect combination of both reptilian and mammalian.

Tbh, I have no problem with the design in general- I actually love how bulky yet predatory it looks. He's fat yeah, but in a Crocodile/Komodo Dragon way of fat. And the short but broad snout makes sense for an animal with bone crushing jaws.
You described my thoughts perfectly. It's that brolic kinda fat, that Broly kinda fat, that Batfleck kinda fat.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Tbh never cared for Heisei Godzilla's catface, and I honestly don't see how it could have worked in the setting with this design. I guess it's just my personal preference, but I always prefered 1954's oni/ogre like face and Millenium/Legendary's face, perfect combination of both reptilian and mammalian.

You described my thoughts perfectly. It's that brolic kinda fat, that Broly kinda fat, that Batfleck kinda fat.
I mean, it also makes sense due to him being a large, carnivorous reptile. From Komodo Dragons and Crocodiles to extinct Theropods, the basic trend is that older and larger=more stocky and robust.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Dv-218 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

I mean, it also makes sense due to him being a large, carnivorous reptile. From Komodo Dragons and Crocodiles to extinct Theropods, the basic trend is that older and larger=more stocky and robust.
Exactly, Monitors in general, usually end up much stockier as they age. Komodo's like you said, perfect example.

Alligators, Crocodiles, old theropods, even carnivorous turtles. Their weight normally reps their age.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 18, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Also, just wanted to say that now after hearing it clearly, I love how they updated Ghidorah's cackle. Feels both new and old at the same time, and incredibely eerie. A neat recreation :)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I love the weight to it, like it's actually bellowing from a 521 foot three headed dragon.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Boys, we're getting a good old popcorn flick 8-)
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The lack of tension will be it's only fault in my book if that's the case. I'm hoping for the very overused term "dark and gritty" in this film.

But I'm sure it'll be fine and the tone will grow on me within 10 minutes.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 18, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

Moogabunga wrote:Pretty sweet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxn1V1ZgxYx/
This honestly has to be the coolest thing I’ve ever seen, as a fan.
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)