Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by GojiDog »

Finally got to see the trailer!

The CGI is admittedly not as tight as I'd want, but I criticize that about almost every big movie.

What this trailer does show us though is that the monsters will be the clear cut stars of the film. And boy oh boy do they all look ready to shine or what?!?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

SG-17 wrote:
JGAR wrote:
SG-17 wrote:Man, Toho better let Legendary re-up the license to make more films after Godzilla vs. Kong. It would suck if they didn't and this and GvKK were fantastic, either out of arrogance or jealousy or whatever. At the very least get Legendary do one more and let them use all of the Toho kaiju for a Destroy All Monsters/Final Wars style monster brawl.
I’d agree but everyday closer to the release, I feel like that’s unlikely now and more than ever. Answer me this: when exactly has Toho done something beneficiary for the brand that is both critically and commercially? Most of their successes like Shin Godzilla come from striking while the iron is hot, but then they milk it out until it’s dry. Proof; the Netflix anime films. They don’t care about the critical success, they just want money. Which you might say “duh, they’re a corporate,” but they don’t care if the product sucks as long as it makes money.

I fear that even if both of these last two films become successful, they can probably fall under the “pride” and “arrogant” category and not extend the license due to wanting their mascot making money under THEIR umbrella and not another company, much less an American company owned by China.
It would be incredibly typical of them to do this.
Lets pray they don’t act typical

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

SG-17 wrote:Toho going back to suitmation after this is going to look so cheesy in a bad way. Suitmation was the best way to do this in the past, and many times they made it look really good. But Shin looked like crap
But Shin didn't use suits, nor did it look like crap
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

baragon123
Samurai

Post by baragon123 »

That shot of Mothra opening up her wings looks a lot like the Tristar logo lol.
Out of the grave, Death is stalking you, You can't escape, YOU'RE EATEN ALIVE!-Eaten Alive by Repulsion

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
SG-17 wrote:Toho going back to suitmation after this is going to look so cheesy in a bad way. Suitmation was the best way to do this in the past, and many times they made it look really good. But Shin looked like crap
And this ladies and gentlemen is what we call, living in denial.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

This has been in the top 10 trending on Twitter today.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Moogabunga wrote: And this ladies and gentlemen is what we call, living in denial.
Name 1 shot in Shin Godzilla that uses a suit for the monster
Spoiler:
#cantbintheShin
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GFan327
Monsterland Worker

Post by GFan327 »

Not sure if anybody has mentioned it yet, but could this be burning Godzilla?

https://twitter.com/reptaard/status/1072194207509401600

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Moogabunga wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
And this ladies and gentlemen is what we call, living in denial.
Pot meet kettle, jesus christ. :lol:

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

You’re a bit late my dude, as usual.
Yep, Burning Godzilla, notice how everything burns around him, looks like he’s moving in slow motion
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GFan327
Monsterland Worker

Post by GFan327 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:You’re a bit late my dude, as usual.
Yep, Burning Godzilla, notice how everything burns around him, looks like he’s moving in slow motion
Haha just got out of class lol

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

JGAR wrote:
SG-17 wrote:Man, Toho better let Legendary re-up the license to make more films after Godzilla vs. Kong. It would suck if they didn't and this and GvKK were fantastic, either out of arrogance or jealousy or whatever. At the very least get Legendary do one more and let them use all of the Toho kaiju for a Destroy All Monsters/Final Wars style monster brawl.
I’d agree but everyday closer to the release, I feel like that’s unlikely now and more than ever. Answer me this: when exactly has Toho done something beneficiary for the brand that is both critically and commercially? Most of their successes like Shin Godzilla come from striking while the iron is hot, but then they milk it out until it’s dry. Proof; the Netflix anime films. They don’t care about the critical success, they just want money. Which you might say “duh, they’re a corporate,” but they don’t care if the product sucks as long as it makes money.

I fear that even if both of these last two films become successful, they can probably fall under the “pride” and “arrogant” category and not extend the license due to wanting their mascot making money under THEIR umbrella and not another company, much less an American company owned by China.
If they really want thier brand to be globally mainstream as they say they do, then a Hollywood parnership is a great way to do so. Their movies, even when they get a release outside of Japan don't make much money anywhere else. So if both of these movies are successful and Toho pulls out then it shows they were just playing lip serivce about expanding the brand and didn't really mean it. We have to wait and see how this plays out, but given their past handlings of the franchise I don't have too much hope.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

GOD DAMN!

GFan327
Monsterland Worker

Post by GFan327 »

Mothra is also in the top 10 Twitter trends right now

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I always wanted to see a movie like this as a kid.

It took a long time, but I finally got my wish.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m really curious how the non-main monsters will fit into the story line, like if they’ll actually have some plot relevance of if it’ll just be quick cutting to them awakening or maybe a small montage of them. Also makes me older if there’s any way to sneak in Mutos or Skull Crawlers in the background. It wouldn’t be a big deal, but I’m just curious, and it would tighten all the films together more.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Ghidorah looks terrifying

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Moogabunga wrote:Ghidorah looks terrifying

He looks demonic in that pic. In another place somewhere in the internet, that image can work as a jump scare zoomed in.
Yooo 8-)

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

If this and/or vs Kong makes enough money, Legendary will work out a way to get more films in this series. That’s just the nature of the entertainment industry. Toho will ask for however much to recoup the theoretical losses on their own upcoming Godzilla films, and Legendary will pay. If these movies make enough money, it’ll probably happen.

KinoKaiser
Ronin

Post by KinoKaiser »

Finally, our big bois are in Trending!