Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Post by Chris55 »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:Personally I'm still kinda surprised they got Ghidorah. Even if he is 1 of the big 5, the realistic universe they've "set up" doesn't exactly make for a 3 headed, two tailed dragon. I really hope they don't go down the route of making him a mutation, unless it's done right and Ghidorah isn't a giant psycho. No aliens either. :roll: Still saddened by no love for Varan. :(
As much as I love Varan, he's really obscure. 1 movie, a couple of "blink and you'll miss him" appearances in DAM and then a stock footage shot in GFW. I wouldn't spend the $ to get him either. You go with what's recognizable so audiences will show up.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

Chris55 wrote:
Godzilla Lover101 wrote:Personally I'm still kinda surprised they got Ghidorah. Even if he is 1 of the big 5, the realistic universe they've "set up" doesn't exactly make for a 3 headed, two tailed dragon. I really hope they don't go down the route of making him a mutation, unless it's done right and Ghidorah isn't a giant psycho. No aliens either. :roll: Still saddened by no love for Varan. :(
As much as I love Varan, he's really obscure. 1 movie, a couple of "blink and you'll miss him" appearances in DAM and then a stock footage shot in GFW. I wouldn't spend the $ to get him either. You go with what's recognizable so audiences will show up.
Now gonna argue about that. But as far as a "new" monster goes, Varan is a very good candidate. He's virtually unknown to general masses, and he's recognizable to most fans. Be awesome to see him again, even in a supporting role.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

why not make a movie with Varan in it, then?

they could pull some Avengers business and have monsters get their own movies before they enter the G verse on screen. dunno how well it would work, but remaking the classics like Rodan and Mothra might really go over well.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why would you be against the mutation route for Ghidorah, yet most of you are willing to swallow him being a Guardian deity and good guy just to add salt in the wound?

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

three wrote:why not make a movie with Varan in it, then?

they could pull some Avengers business and have monsters get their own movies before they enter the G verse on screen. dunno how well it would work, but remaking the classics like Rodan and Mothra might really go over well.
Varan would be quite a risk. Rodan however, would be a great candidate. He's one of the Big 5, recognizable, but also is the only wild card in the bunch. He could be either a good guy or a bad guy and you have a lot of freedom with him as a character. His original movie, in my opinion, was WAY darker than G54 and it was a really bloody film too. I'd love to see a standalone with him.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

mikenes
EDF Instructor

Post by mikenes »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:^ OR, we could get an ORIGINAL Mechagodzilla plot, instead of your bullshit Kiryu rehash.

Another thing...
I love how there's all this bad talk about Mothra's role in this film... YOU GUYS HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE MOVIE YET.
You guy's have no clue how they'll use Mothra; her being one of Toho's main monsters, I doubt LP will write her off as weak as she appears in the Toho films. She'll probably be pretty badass, actually.
WHAT IF she's actually a very formidable opponent? It can happen, and I bet it will.

I think they'll make her awe inspiring and god-like too, it would only make since, right?

We'll be seeing a BRAND NEW type of Mothra, so saying "We've seen too much Mothra, blah blah blah" is pretty pointless.
Just stop the Mothra bitching and wait till' the new movie comes out, you guy's MIGHT be surprised. ;)
Sure I want Gareth to make Mothra beautiful, strong, etc., BUT I also want her to have a memorable death, if not at the claws of the King, let it be at the teeth of the other King, King Ghidrah that is. Like I've said before in another thread, she's overrated in my opinion. I do want them to make her cool, but I also want Gareth to put that final nail on her coffin in her Hollywood debut so that they don't bring her back. It's lame and annoying having to see her again in a Godzilla movie. That's why I want her to be really cool in this movie and have her die in a very brutal and cool way. :twisted:

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

LegendZilla wrote:Why would you be against the mutation route for Ghidorah, yet most of you are willing to swallow him being a Guardian deity and good guy just to add salt in the wound?
For 1 thing because it means there's not multiple Ghidorahs in 1 family. He's just a random experiment got wrong. I have never looked at GMK the same after gaining knowledge about Anguirus and Varan being scrapped and replaced with Mothra and Ghidorah. The film is less powerful to me now because of that and Ghidorah's poor role.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:^ OR, we could get an ORIGINAL Mechagodzilla plot, instead of your bullshit Kiryu rehash.
How else could you incorporate MechaGodzilla into the Legendaryverse and have it work? That's by far the most realistic way of inserting him into the "grounded" setting of this franchise, since I'm pretty sure we don't have the means to build a gigantic monster cyborg from scratch. Besides, by that logic, they shouldn't use Ghidorah, either, since there are no "original" ideas for him left. He's been a cyborg, a guardian deity, an alien, a mutation, what more can you possibly do with him? Especially if you wanna fit him into the "grounded" setting of this universe.
If anything, a three-headed dragon is more likely to come from outer space than on earth, unless you mean alien armies controlling him like in GTTHD and GVMZ, in which case, I'd have to agree.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

KManX89 wrote:If anything, a three-headed dragon is more likely to come from outer space than on earth, unless you mean alien armies controlling him like in GTTHD and GVMZ, in which case, I'd have to agree.
Exactly! His original origin was realistic enough. Now they'll probably have him be a randomly mutated monster. His space origin was grounded and is very much a part of Ghidorah's character. BTW he wasn't controlled in GTTHM, only in GvMZ and GvKG 91.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:If anything, a three-headed dragon is more likely to come from outer space than on earth, unless you mean alien armies controlling him like in GTTHD and GVMZ, in which case, I'd have to agree.
Exactly! His original origin was realistic enough. Now they'll probably have him be a randomly mutated monster. His space origin was grounded and is very much a part of Ghidorah's character. BTW he wasn't controlled in GTTHM, only in GvMZ and GvKG 91.
Um and Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs Gigan. :)
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

Post by All_Humans_Must_Die »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Godzilla Lover101 wrote:
Um and Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs Gigan. :)
I would really like him to have both free will and personality
For the sake of peace, for the sake of balance, and for the sake of the earth... All humans must die

three
Keizer

Post by three »

yea, with some personality that would be cool.

though with three heads, it might be difficult to get some personality in there. you may just wanna keep them all united as one being with limited self control and intellect.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:
How do you know they'll have him be a randomly-mutated monster? They're trying to keep it as grounded as possible, so my guess is that's what they'll do with Ghids. I know you can't do any kind of take on a three-headed, gravity-shooting dragon without some level of suspension of disbelief, but that's far and away the most believable origin for him, I think Gareth knows that, hence why I think that'll be the most likely route they take with him.

But yeah, I don't see Godzilla turning "evil" at any point in this series unless it's to extrapolate the human folly narrative as explained. They're not gonna spend all of the first movie building him up as a balancer of nature/anti-hero only to suddenly retcon it in the next film, nor does it make sense.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Anguirus for Godzilla 2.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Like I keep saying, Gareth did "grounded" aliens with Monsters so what makes Ghidorah any different.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

three wrote:why not make a movie with Varan in it, then?

They could with some of the most iconic Toho kaiju. Rodan and Mothra would have that potential, and I think Mothra in general especially because of the mythical, beautiful fantasy type of atmosphere they can give a Mothra film if they do it properly. Rodan would potentially be a nice eerie thriller. King Ghidorah could work, but the angle has to be different. A monster like Varan or Anguirus, however, is unlikely to work - at least as a MCU style, solo intro type film. A modern day Space Amoeba sort of film with numerous monsters could work, but Varan or Anguirus lack the depth to hold their own film. While that is something that can be added via good writing and direction, the issue then becomes a budgetary one. Any such film is going to cost around $160M like Godzilla did at minimum, and for some a budget closer to $200M would not be unreasonable. A film that expensive should have earnings north of $400M ideally, and frankly I don't think a studio will determine there are $400M worth of people wanting to see a movie about Anguirus. Even the mighty Godzilla was something of a question among fans, and it earned around $525M globally last year. King Kong, albeit without 3D, earned $550M a decade ago, and that was one of the most lavish productions ever made with the hype and marketing to match. Hopefully with the Godzilla sequel, Pacific Rim sequel, Attack On Titan films later this year, new Toho Godzilla, and new King Kong there will be increased demand for these sorts of films which haven't been that mainstream for a long time now.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Like I keep saying, Gareth did "grounded" aliens with Monsters so what makes Ghidorah any different.
Completely agree. I can't say I expect King Ghidorah to be an alien monster but I wouldn't be surprised. Edwards' idea of "real sci-fi" seems to me to be making something feel real as opposed to only making it as realistic as possible. If you take it at its core, Monsters was about gigantic octopuses from space. But it was presented in a way to make it feel very real, as if it actually might be possible (and I suppose at the same time, isn't it in some way we don't yet know about?). King Ghidorah can be done in a similar way, although the tone should obviously be quite different. King Ghidorah must be incredibly powerful and intimidating, yet regal at the same time. Obviously this is all speculation and we'll just have to wait -sadly for a few years- before we have a real idea of what it's going to be like, but there are so many possibilities and that's part of what makes this so fun.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

three wrote:yea, with some personality that would be cool.

though with three heads, it might be difficult to get some personality in there. you may just wanna keep them all united as one being with limited self control and intellect.
I can imagine the three heads getting into a lot of arguments
For the sake of peace, for the sake of balance, and for the sake of the earth... All humans must die

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Tohosaurus wrote:Edwards' idea of "real sci-fi" seems to me to be making something feel real as opposed to only making it as realistic as possible. If you take it at its core, Monsters was about gigantic octopuses from space. But it was presented in a way to make it feel very real, as if it actually might be possible (and I suppose at the same time, isn't it in some way we don't yet know about?).
Exactly. A giant plasma-shooting dinosaur isn't very realistic on its face, either, but it was made to look and feel real on screen, same with a pair of parasitic insect monsters that can shoot EMP. Even something fantasy-oriented in nature can be incorporated in a realistic tone, I think that's what Gareth is aiming for with this franchise.

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

KManX89 wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:Edwards' idea of "real sci-fi" seems to me to be making something feel real as opposed to only making it as realistic as possible. If you take it at its core, Monsters was about gigantic octopuses from space. But it was presented in a way to make it feel very real, as if it actually might be possible (and I suppose at the same time, isn't it in some way we don't yet know about?).
Exactly. A giant plasma-shooting dinosaur isn't very realistic on its face, either, but it was made to look and feel real on screen, same with a pair of parasitic insect monsters that can shoot EMP. Even something fantasy-oriented in nature can be incorporated in a realistic tone, I think that's what Gareth is aiming for with this franchise.
technically the mutos are vertabrates

KaijuArcade
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuArcade »

I think you could do a realistic version of the Mothra twins. Maybe have a couple of siblings who develop some kind of link to Mothra? But I guess that would get into the territory of telepathy so I'm guessing they will probably just skip having a version of the twins at all.
Chris55 wrote: As much as I love Varan, he's really obscure. 1 movie, a couple of "blink and you'll miss him" appearances in DAM and then a stock footage shot in GFW. I wouldn't spend the $ to get him either. You go with what's recognizable so audiences will show up.
Yep, sad but true. At this point I'd say Varan is about as relevant to the Godzilla universe as Godzooky and we can't risk Gareth's phone accidentally doing autocorrect to "Godzooky" to nervous WB and Legendary execs again. :P (love that story)