Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by KingKaiju »

After seeing all sorts of freak outs throughout social media, I’m almost certain that most folks who claim to be Godzilla fans are either idiots, or have never actually sat through a Godzilla movie. Jesus Christ. Also another reason why I don’t take “audience reviews”, especially on sites like IMDb where anyone can post anything, seriously.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

KingKaiju wrote:After seeing outing but freak outs throughout social media, I’m almost certain that most folks who claim to be Godzilla fans are either idiots, or have never actually sat through a Godzilla movie. Jesus Christ. Also another reason why I don’t take “audience reviews”, especially on sites like IMDb where anyone can post anything, seriously.
What are they freaking out about?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:After seeing outing but freak outs throughout social media, I’m almost certain that most folks who claim to be Godzilla fans are either idiots, or have never actually sat through a Godzilla movie. Jesus Christ. Also another reason why I don’t take “audience reviews”, especially on sites like IMDb where anyone can post anything, seriously.
Probably something about Godzilla getting more screen time than the stars...even though Godzilla IS the main star or something dumb like that.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Living Corpse wrote:
Probably something about Godzilla getting more screen time than the stars...even though Godzilla IS the main star or something dumb like that.
It really didn't even feel like he was around much for me, even when compared to other movies. I know that's an insanely unpopular opinion and I just might just be insane.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Living Corpse wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote: What are they freaking out about?
It really didn't even feel like he was around much for me, even when compared to other movies. I know that's an insanely unpopular opinion and I just might just be insane.
Honestly I think the movie would have been fine with him being taken out of the movie after the Antarctica fight and not come back till the final fight, allowing Rodan and Ghidorah to have a proper fight. It's been done in Godzilla films before. It's not screentime, it's what you do with it.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

About any negative review or any fan who doesn’t go “OMG!! 10/10! Best movie ever!!”

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think it's a pretty equal playing field for both sides of the equation tbh^
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I initially thought that too, because I saw some pretty ridiculous reviews. But the fact that these dudes jump on anyone who doesn’t agree that this is somehow the perfect movie, and then proceed to say something ridiculous like, “Godzilla movies have never had food stories,” just makes me roll my eyes, and wonder if any of these folks have actually sat down and watched these films.

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by keizerkaiju »

BARAGONBREH wrote:My review is up, for those interested: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28633&p=1657122#p1657122

TL;DR: Nope, not a good movie, even though it had every chance to be. I'm very saddened and disappointed by what I saw today.
Wow, I'm shocked. No, really.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KingKaiju wrote:I initially thought that too, because I saw some pretty ridiculous reviews. But the fact that these dudes jump on anyone who doesn’t agree that this is somehow the perfect movie, and then proceed to say something ridiculous like, “Godzilla movies have never had food stories,” just makes me roll my eyes, and wonder if any of these folks have actually sat down and watched these films.
Oh yeah the ones acting like a Godzilla story can't be as good as Citizen Kane is eye roll worthy, I agree. But I am glad people are willing to defend the film itself.

Solaris667
Yojimbo

Post by Solaris667 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I initially thought that too, because I saw some pretty ridiculous reviews. But the fact that these dudes jump on anyone who doesn’t agree that this is somehow the perfect movie, and then proceed to say something ridiculous like, “Godzilla movies have never had food stories,” just makes me roll my eyes, and wonder if any of these folks have actually sat down and watched these films.
Oh yeah the ones acting like a Godzilla story can't be as good as Citizen Kane is eye roll worthy, I agree. But I am glad people are willing to defend the film itself.
Godzilla has shown, time and time again, that you can tell amazing stories with giant creatures.
So what we ought to do is ask that Legendary do better.
Last edited by Solaris667 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Back from my second viewing.

I think a 6.5/10 is a safe bet for my critical score. Would be higher if not for the
Spoiler:
oxygen Destroyer scene
; other than that part it was a fairly harmless movie, and while it had plenty of flaws I don't think they ultimately detracted from its highs.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

KingKaiju wrote:and then proceed to say something ridiculous like, “Godzilla movies have never had food stories”
About time Godzilla tackled a more modern issue like obesity, would be appropriate considering he's been down that road himself.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So gonna go see Godzilla 2 again tomorrow in theaters with my friends but unlike last time. I'll be seeing it in AVX. Bigger screen, better sound, better quality. Just as excited as I was on Thursday! :D

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don't know what thread this would go in but, Amazon has 4K/Blu-Ray KOTM up for pre-order with no release date (obviously).

I'll take credit for having them put it up, since WB liked my tweet about needing it in 4K 8-) .

I went ahead and pre-ordered it since they don't charge until release.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Hope I ain't late to say this but wikipedia states the Box Office WW is now 67.8 million. How much do you reckon we'll get by Monday at this point?

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by godzilla98rules »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
godzilla98rules wrote:Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely no where as bad as the critics are making it out to be! I had an absolute blast the whole time it was playing. The only minor gripes I have are a few of the characters being weak as well as the story, but in the spirit of a Showa Godzilla film, there's no problem with this......

4/5
There's nothing wrong with liking it but it did not feel like a Showa Godzilla film in my opinion. Felt more like a Heisei or Millennium film.
While I'll agree with you that it has a feel of both Heisei and Millennium, this movie has a lot of physical combat and barely any beam attacks. Heck, there isn't one single beam clash in the entire film. So yes, this film feels like a Showa film in terms of its monster action than Heisei or Millennium........
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but the way this reviewer describes the reactions he saw is worth watching it.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Smuggers wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:and then proceed to say something ridiculous like, “Godzilla movies have never had food stories”
About time Godzilla tackled a more modern issue like obesity, would be appropriate considering he's been down that road himself.
Well the was that "very special episode" movie they did on binge/purge with Orga. So it's not without precedent. ;)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Found a pretty wicked Fan Poster