Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Post by ernesth100 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:Maybe the turtle-skeleton from Mothra vs. Godzilla will cameo?
As an easter egg/hidden hint (Like the tank that had Mothra's name labeled when Joe and Ford goes to that supposed contaminated zone) I could possibility see.
come on. If we are going for really obscure things it just might as well be Bagan
Y'know I know the idea gets a lot of hate. But I'd love to see this universes Godzilla take on Bagan in the future. :-x
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Justice League isn't doing well because it sucks and nobody cares anymore.
^This. I went to see it on black Friday and there were 3 other people in the theater other than me. Btw It did suck.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Yeeeeah, there are a lot more variables as to why Justice League isn’t doing well. Having Coco as its competition is the least of its concern, I think. And I’m a guy who really enjoyed it.

Anyways, I just listened to Michae Dougherty on Mick Garris’ podcast. I didn’t realize that he was such a Godzilla fan. I know a lot of actors and directors will do the old “oh yeah!! I’ve liked this franchise since I was little,” but Dougherty seems like a genuine fan. I’ve never been crazy about his films, but that makes me wonder if maybe a Kaiju film like this will be here he really shines.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Dougherty being a Godzilla fan does enlighten the mood. Shows he'll make it deliver for sure. :)

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

ernesth100 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: As an easter egg/hidden hint (Like the tank that had Mothra's name labeled when Joe and Ford goes to that supposed contaminated zone) I could possibility see.
come on. If we are going for really obscure things it just might as well be Bagan
Y'know I know the idea gets a lot of hate. But I'd love to see this universes Godzilla take on Bagan in the future. :-x
I don't mean to sound obnoxious, but why do people like Bagan? He strikes me as a cross between Spacegodzilla and Destoroyah.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Loganrules115 wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
I don't mean to sound obnoxious, but why do people like Bagan? He strikes me as a cross between Spacegodzilla and Destoroyah.
Well, a majority of the uninformed Godzilla fanbase (Shin's a microorgansim,, Zilla's the same as G98, and There are 2 endings for KKvG) Think Bagan is a superkaiju that could destroy every other kaiju in the Godzilla universe thanks to super Godzilla and badly written fanfiction. As for educated fanbase members, that's up to their individual preferences.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I'm also up for seeing Bagan as unlikely as it is. This could also prove to be an advantage. The general audience will think he's just another original monster that Legendary cooked up. ;)

That and you could have his origin be similar to that in the game being this created hybrid of Godzilla and King Ghidorah whose DNA samples were taken to create him supposedly by Jonah (Monarch's supposed evil counterpart and rivals) which could work as a post-credits such as Jonah members discussing their plans and one of them showing vials with monster name labels on them among those being Godzilla and King Ghidorah.

Or...If you just want to go the simple naturalism route, introduce Bagan as this superpredator of Godzilla's kind.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Save bagan for a toho film. I feel like they owe him that much.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Save bagan for a toho film. I feel like they owe him that much.
Agreeded. Togo could even go the original, Began, Mothra and Godzilla universe now in the shin universe.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Save bagan for a toho film. I feel like they owe him that much.
Why is Bagan even still being brought up, let alone why would anyone in the right mind even think that Legendary would even "consider" him for one of their films?
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I'm also up for seeing Bagan as unlikely as it is. This could also prove to be an advantage. The general audience will think he's just another original monster that Legendary cooked up. ;)

That and you could have his origin be similar to that in the game being this created hybrid of Godzilla and King Ghidorah whose DNA samples were taken to create him supposedly by Jonah (Monarch's supposed evil counterpart and rivals) which could work as a post-credits such as Jonah members discussing their plans and one of them showing vials with monster name labels on them among those being Godzilla and King Ghidorah.

Or...If you just want to go the simple naturalism route, introduce Bagan as this superpredator of Godzilla's kind.
Honestly that sounds awful and more like something that would be done in a comic rather a multi-million dollar Hollywood movie.
IF they ever decided to do a "Frankenstein monster" for the Monsterverse, it would be Gigan and only because it has some marketability compared to a no name monster

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I'm also up for seeing Bagan as unlikely as it is. This could also prove to be an advantage. The general audience will think he's just another original monster that Legendary cooked up. ;)

I'd go with the superpredator route. Heck they've already gone the hollow Earth route, now we just need Bagan at the core.

^Also, the reason we bring up Bagan is 'cause we think he's cool. That's it. I don't think there are any requirements for throwing around ideas for one monster or another.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Pacfanweb wrote:Can't be afraid, though. Marvel isn't going to stop, they're steadily releasing movies the next few years, and they're all pretty much going to beat any monster movie. Everything else besides Star Wars is on a lower level.

Can't be afraid of Aquaman, surely. I don't think even Justice League is going to beat Kong or Godzilla 2014. Certainly not much better, if any. DC just doesn't have it like Marvel does.

The next year isn't going to be any easier. 2019's going to have Gambit, How to Train Your Dragon, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Aladdin (which will likely be just ridiculously big), Spiderman, Star Wars 9, and a load of others. I don't see it being any less loaded. Just odd they'd wait so long. Bring it out while Kong SI is still in everyone's mind.

edit: saw someone else posted basically the same thing right above this one. should have scrolled all the way down first, lol
This is what I'm saying. If the studio is afraid to the point of delaying the movie a year every time there's some major competition, we would never see it. It did seem like a delay could still be necessary after the director change and all, but as a poster above stated, most movies are released within a year of completed filming, and G2 has completed filming. If they legitimately delayed it because it needed a lot more work (I admit this is very possible), than that's all well and good, but if they delayed it to avoid competition, well, like you said, there will always be competition, and I wish they had stuck to 2018.
Last edited by JesstrK on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

They have to market the universe more as shared. Let people know what this is all leading up to. I promise if they pull it off right. I see nothing but success for all these films. They've been doing pretty damn good so far.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:2019 is safer because KOTM is coming in March before the big stuff takes over.
*Cough*How to Train Your Dragon 3*Cough*

*Cough*Captain Marvel*Cough*

*Cough*Dumbo (Don't underestimate Disney)*Cough*
Dumbo is no Beauty and the Beast, not to mention the fact that Captain Marvel is a full two weeks ahead of KotM as opposed to Logan's one week ahead of KSI. How to Train your Dragon is even earlier than that. None of these movies are going to make a dent in Godzilla's box office. But we still have over a year before the embargo even drops on KotM, so let's not piss our pants now.
JesstrK wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:Can't be afraid, though. Marvel isn't going to stop, they're steadily releasing movies the next few years, and they're all pretty much going to beat any monster movie. Everything else besides Star Wars is on a lower level.

Can't be afraid of Aquaman, surely. I don't think even Justice League is going to beat Kong or Godzilla 2014. Certainly not much better, if any. DC just doesn't have it like Marvel does.

The next year isn't going to be any easier. 2019's going to have Gambit, How to Train Your Dragon, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Aladdin (which will likely be just ridiculously big), Spiderman, Star Wars 9, and a load of others. I don't see it being any less loaded. Just odd they'd wait so long. Bring it out while Kong SI is still in everyone's mind.

edit: saw someone else posted basically the same thing right above this one. should have scrolled all the way down first, lol
This is what I'm saying. If the studio is afraid to the point of delaying the movie a year every time there's some major competition, we would never see it. It did seem like a delay could still be necessary after the director change and all, but as a poster above stated, most movies are released within a year of completed filming, and G2 has completed filming. If they legitimately delayed it because it needed a lot more work (I admit this is very possible), than that's all well and good, but if they delayed it to avoid competition, well, like you said, there will always be competition, and I wish they had stuck to 2018.
Warner Bros films their tentpoles a long time in advance, and there are plenty of factors that go into a release date change. You guys are worrying too much about this stuff when we're still over a year away.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

You guys are really worrying to much about the box office

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Ryguy wrote:Dumbo is no Beauty and the Beast
If Disney can pull it off, they can, again they are not to be underestimated. Even then Dumbo was one of their first movies they released when they were just starting.

This is Disney after all, an multi-billion dollar company, an company who just recently had the potential to have bought the majority of Fox.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

You mean the same movie that scarred a lot of the kids who watched it? Dumbo doesn't have the same charm as Lion King or Beauty and the Beast: all I remember from it was that it scared the living shit out of me as a kid, just like the Heffalumps and Woozles from Winnie the Pooh and the part where the kids were turned into donkeys in Pinnochio

Something about Dumbo just always felt off to me. Like I have very fond memories watching Cinderella, Lion King, Jungle Book, Pixar, Aristocats, etc. during my childhood, and then there's Dumbo. It's like the bastard child of the Disney bunch. All I remember from it was that it was emotionally draining
Last edited by Ryguy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Ryguy wrote:Dumbo is no Beauty and the Beast
If Disney can pull it off, they can, again they are not to be underestimated. Even then Dumbo was one of their first movies they released when they were just starting.

This is Disney after all, an multi-billion dollar company, an company who just recently had the potential to have bought the majority of Fox.
Disney is powerful but even they have limits. Alice though the looking glass was bad for example and with Tim Burton directing its going to turn off a lot of people.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

^Tim Burton is the director. Dumbo has already been filmed, but like I said earlier, the original movie was none of the big powerhouses that Disney has to offer

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Ryguy wrote:You mean the same movie that scarred a lot of the kids who watched it? Dumbo doesn't have the same charm as Lion King or Beauty and the Beast: all I remember from it was that it scared the living Hedorah out of me as a kid, just like the Heffalumps and Woozles from Winnie the Pooh and the part where the kids were turned into donkeys in Pinnochio

Something about Dumbo just always felt off to me. Like I have very fond memories watching Cinderella, Lion King, Jungle Book, Pixar, Aristocats, etc. during my childhood, and then there's Dumbo. It's like the bastard child of the Disney bunch. All I remember from it was that it was emotionally draining
Touche.
miguelnuva wrote:Disney is powerful but even they have limits. Alice though the looking glass was bad for example and with Tim Burton directing its going to turn off a lot of people.
I suppose that's a good point, can't argue with that.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.