Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by dillonking55 »

ernesth100 wrote:Honestly I was never expecting this to do spectacular in the box office.
If you mean Dark Phoenix, then I agree...

batzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by batzilla »

You guys think we'll get anything from NYCC? For Kong, they released that blacklight poster of Skull Island.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

batzilla wrote:You guys think we'll get anything from NYCC? For Kong, they released that blacklight poster of Skull Island.
Nah, unfortunately

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

What we think is a successful cash haul may have a very different meaning to the production company. I believe this will be successful in a bigger way than we imagine. So long as they do the marketing right, don't give too much away and of course, if the movie is great in a way that makes people want to re-watch AND spread the word. If it's great and the pacing as such as been rumored, you may miss something important that you'll want to see again.

As for numbers...you take into account the target audience of your film, along with those around you, deduct crossover audience numbers and factor in overall box office performance. In a down year, lower numbers still work...in a crowded time frame with similar demographic movies, numbers can fall. It's performance against all those factors that determine success. Not to mention the studio chooses the release date so there is some level of accountability there as well.

Facts as they stand are: Good word of mouth based off the teaser, heck using the music and creating the stunning look drew in women that otherwise would not have given it a sniff and many I've seen are now actually interested in the movie. The time in which they have to fine tune the movie is also key in that too many times movies seem thrown together at the end and things get missed...(conversely there can be too much tinkering as well) but this is a plus and the fact that the studio moved it back to a busier time shows confidence in the product. If I was the director, i'd have a final cut to be reviewed with parts that can be plugged in or removed and find out what works/doesn't and dial it in.

Regardless, we will get GvK so at the very least, we got two more rides with the big G.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Gotta also take into account Legendary now, thanks to Wanda, owns a stake in a huge portion of theaters especially in China. So KotM will take in more in those theaters than other films would. If it takes in even similar numbers to KSI and G14 it will still be an overall bigger financial success for Legendary cause they'll get to keep a bigger share of the revenue in many theaters.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I wonder how it will do in Japan, Godzilla 2014 I heard did respectable but not ground breaking

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Post by Thunderbird »

GojiDude95 wrote:Can I ask question? Have any of you watched any of the recent movies that came out and if so did the film's preview include the trailer for KoTM? I have to watch this beauty on the big screen!
I saw GKOTM's trailer right before The Meg, and it looked ****ing spectacular on an IMAX screen.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Wait for real? Everyone said there wasn't one for The Meg or any other films for that matter.
Which theater did u see it in?

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

GojiDude95 wrote:Wait for real? Everyone said there wasn't one for The Meg or any other films for that matter.
Which theater did u see it in?
Nah man, it played in front of the Meg, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, and The Nun. Obviously not everyone got to see it before every screening, but it was playing occasionally

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

Godzillian wrote:I wonder how it will do in Japan, Godzilla 2014 I heard did respectable but not ground breaking
Shin Gojia had a better reception in Japan than G14' did, however G14 was received well by the Japan audience similar to how it was received in America.

And early Japan reactions to KOM trailer is that it will likely do better than what G14 did over there.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Moogabunga wrote: Nah man, it played in front of the Meg, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, and The Nun. Obviously not everyone got to see it before every screening, but it was playing occasionally
Aw shucks I've been missing out then. Fortunately we had to postpone our theater trip. Our local theater only has The Nun playing out of those three that you mentioned. But I really want to watch Venom and if it does have it playing then it'll be a double win. I have grown tired of horror movies recently and plus we can afford to go once awhile. Choices man. :|

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Oh we are in the doom and gloom stage eh? Honestly with the plot already out there I am sure audiences will like it, I could easily see it outgrossing both of the previous MonsterVerse entries. And honestly in the end it really doesn't matter what the masses think than what you personally believe.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Oh we are in the doom and gloom stage eh? Honestly with the plot already out there I am sure audiences will like it, I could easily see it outgrossing both of the previous MonsterVerse entries. And honestly in the end it really doesn't matter what the masses think than what you personally believe.
I can tell you are a new member. :lol: This is nowhere near the doom and gloom stage.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Oh we are in the doom and gloom stage eh? Honestly with the plot already out there I am sure audiences will like it, I could easily see it outgrossing both of the previous MonsterVerse entries. And honestly in the end it really doesn't matter what the masses think than what you personally believe.
Agreed. I can see this making 600+-650+ million tbh hopefully 700 million if lucky.

Heck I wouldn't even consider Dark Phoenix a threat anyways as I expect that movie to not do well being X-Men film rights are soon to be bought by Disney. If anything they should just can that and New Mutants. It's not bringing them anywhere at this point. It's in my head it ended with Logan.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

I'm honestly a little surprised, but I've been watching a few videos and reading a few comment sections about Dark Phoenix moving to June, and I've seen/heard a lot of "that's a mistake, Godzilla is gonna crush it", "I know I'll be watching Godzilla over that crap". It just warms my heart and obviously it's still way too early, but I'm thinking we may have a real hit on our hands, gentlemen :tearsofjoy:
Last edited by Moogabunga on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not really. Only fans of the series are even remotely aware that the script was leaked. Even if they did I doubt most people would bother to look the leaks up. Word of mouth will be what makes or breaks it. After all most Godzilla fans will see it regardless. Honestly I expect it to make less overall opening weekend but making up for it with WoM and stronger legs.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Moogabunga wrote:I'm honestly a little surprised, but I've been watching a few videos and reading a few comment sections about Dark Phoenix moving to June, and I've seen/heard a lot of "that's a mistake, Godzilla is gonna crush it", "I know I'll be watching Godzilla over that crap". It just warms my heart and obviously it's still way too early, but I'm thinking we may have a real hit on our hands, gentlemen :tearsofjoy:
I've waited to read this kind of thing for years.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Honestly, are we ever not in the doom and gloom phase? There is always someone out there ready to give up their fan status for the shame of box office failure.
Still, I am so happy people are saying things like that about KOTM. Godzilla never seemed popular until 2014, and even then that felt temporary. Given the recent resurgence, it feels like it may be coming back, and that is exciting. I am in a movie club at my college, and our arthouse movie subcommittee was talking about showing Shin Godzilla. That sounds like progress to me.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Not really. Only fans of the series are even remotely aware that the script was leaked. Even if they did I doubt most people would bother to look the leaks up. Word of mouth will be what makes or breaks it. After all most Godzilla fans will see it regardless. Honestly I expect it to make less overall opening weekend but making up for it with WoM and stronger legs.
"Hey Billy, wanna go see the new Godzilla movie?"

"Oh, that's ok Tommy, I got something even better -- the leaked script! We can read it at home over some hot coco! What a hootin' holler!"

"Aww shucks, Billy, I can't wait!"

:lol:
Last edited by vibramrunner on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

It sucks so much that we're not left with much to speculate on anymore now that almost everyone on this forum has read the leaked plot.
why did i have to be the chosen one?