Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JGAR
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by JGAR »

I literally don’t have a problem with the film being called “Godzilla: King of the Monsters.” There have been FOUR films called “Godzilla,” and plus; the general audience probably never heard of the nickname “King of the Monsters” before this film, and wouldn’t have associated it with Godzilla like they do with Superman and “Man of Steel” or Batman and “the Dark Knight.”
Yooo 8-)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JGAR wrote:I literally don’t have a problem with the film being called “Godzilla: King of the Monsters.” There have been FOUR films called “Godzilla,” and plus; the general audience probably never heard of the nickname “King of the Monsters” before this film, and wouldn’t have associated it with Godzilla like they do with Superman and “Man of Steel” or Batman and “the Dark Knight.”
You aren't giving the GA enough credit, lot of toys were sold in the 90's with the King of the Monsters tagline attached.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I know this has already been speculated to death, but I really hope Charles Dance turns out to be Conrad from KSI. If it turns out boring, one-note-army-man-protagonist from KSI grew up to be a shadowy, haunted supervillain, which it sort of looks like Dance is positioned to be, that would make rewatching him in K:SI 100% more interesting.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think it'd be a stark change in character for Conrad to just suddenly harbor a grudge against humanity. At best, he'd be a Martin in G'85-type figure, standing by and watching from the sidelines as a veteran of encountering Titans with an "I-told-you-so" mentality (which his "long live the king" line seemingly echoes, see Vera Farmiga's reaction in the same shot). But as a straight up supervillain? That's Newt in PRU-levels of 180.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:I think it'd be a stark change in character for Conrad to just suddenly harbor a grudge against humanity. At best, he'd be a Martin in G'85-type figure, standing by and watching from the sidelines as a veteran of encountering Titans with an "I-told-you-so" mentality (which his "long live the king" line seemingly echoes, see Vera Farmiga's reaction in the same shot). But as a straight up supervillain? That's Newt in PRU-levels of 180.
Well, supervillain was maybe hyperbole. But I do get some ‘antagonist in some way’ vibes from him, and if it is Conrad, IMO that would actually be a pretty cool complication to introduce into a character that was previously so white bread.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

King of the Titans could have worked. But King of the Monsters was also the marvel comic title.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I think it'd be a stark change in character for Conrad to just suddenly harbor a grudge against humanity. At best, he'd be a Martin in G'85-type figure, standing by and watching from the sidelines as a veteran of encountering Titans with an "I-told-you-so" mentality (which his "long live the king" line seemingly echoes, see Vera Farmiga's reaction in the same shot). But as a straight up supervillain? That's Newt in PRU-levels of 180.
Well, supervillain was maybe hyperbole. But I do get some ‘antagonist in some way’ vibes from him, and if it is Conrad, IMO that would actually be a pretty cool complication to introduce into a character that was previously so white bread.
In one of my "if I had my way" scenerios, I would love to see a Rodan prequel (the plot would need to be contained since Rodan's existence isn't known to the world until KOTM). But have it set in the 80's and give it a kind of Top Gun vibe to it. Bring back Weaver and Conrad; they are married, or just together. Weaver gets killed in the film, and thus Conrad's trust and overall view of Monarch starts to deteriorate.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
In one of my "if I had my way" scenerios, I would love to see a Rodan prequel (the plot would need to be contained since Rodan's existence isn't known to the world until KOTM). But have it set in the 80's and give it a kind of Top Gun vibe to it. Bring back Weaver and Conrad; they are married, or just together. Weaver gets killed in the film, and thus Conrad's trust and overall view of Monarch starts to deteriorate.
:shock: ...

That’s AWESOME.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Buddy, why do you not work at Legendary?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

JGAR wrote:I literally don’t have a problem with the film being called “Godzilla: King of the Monsters.” There have been FOUR films called “Godzilla,” and plus; the general audience probably never heard of the nickname “King of the Monsters” before this film, and wouldn’t have associated it with Godzilla like they do with Superman and “Man of Steel” or Batman and “the Dark Knight.”
This is what baffles me about this fandom. It spans from greatly overestimating the general public's interest in and knowledge of Godzilla to totally underestimating it.

Godzilla is fairly well-known, even by people who have never sat down and watched a movie. They would know him by his image. As for "King of the Monsters", it too is a fairly well-known nickname for him, given that the most well-known Godzilla movie in America is the one called "Godzilla: King of the Monsters!".
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

BARAGONBREH wrote:As for "King of the Monsters", it too is a fairly well-known nickname for him, given that the most well-known Godzilla movie in America is the one called "Godzilla: King of the Monsters!".
Except that's not true at all...I guarantee you the most well known Godzilla movies in America are Godzilla (1998) and Godzilla (2014)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Moogabunga wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:As for "King of the Monsters", it too is a fairly well-known nickname for him, given that the most well-known Godzilla movie in America is the one called "Godzilla: King of the Monsters!".
Except that's not true at all...I guarantee you the most well known Godzilla movies in America are Godzilla (1998) and Godzilla (2014)
Yeah and I don’t think anyone I personally know who is not a G fan would be aware of the ‘king of the monsters’ nickname, or even that movie specifically. And then beyond the American films, and also I suppose just logically inferring that there must be some kind of an original film, the only movie I consistently hear them being aware of is Godzilla vs Mothra... without even knowing which film they are referring to specifically. “Oh, like the 60s one?” “Yeah, sure, I guess!”

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

miguelnuva wrote:King of the Titans could have worked. But King of the Monsters was also the marvel comic title.
I like it, but it also sounds like it could be a movie about Godzilla playing football.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Moogabunga wrote:
I probably couldn't count on my fingers the amount of people I've heard refer to G98 as the first Godzilla movie.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

*Looks Around*

I guess it could have been worse...

Godzilla 2: Electric Boogaloo...

Godzilla 2: Attack of the Clones...

Godzilla 2: The Quickening...(HA! The "Running" Scene)

Godzilla 2: Cruise Control...

Godzilla 2: Armed & Fabulous...

Godzilla 2: The Revenge...

Godzilla 2: The Secret of the Ooze...(Guest appearance by Vanilla Ice)

Godzilla And the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...

A Very Godzilla Sequel...

2 Godzilla 2 Furious...

I Still Know What Godzilla Did Last Summer...
Last edited by Grievous on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Grievous wrote:*Looks Around*

I guess it could have been worse...

Godzilla 2: Electric Boogaloo...

Godzilla 2: Attack of the Clones...

Godzilla 2: The Quickening...(HA! The "Running" Scene)

Godzilla 2: Cruise Control...

Godzilla 2: Armed & Fabulous...

Godzilla 2: The Revenge...

Godzilla 2: The Secret of the Ooze...(Guest appearance by Vanilla Ice)

Godzilla And the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...

A Very Godzilla Sequel...

2 Godzilla 2 Furious...

I Know Still What Godzilla Did Last Summer...
Godzilla: The Last Jedi
THAT would be BAD

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Gojira18 wrote:Godzilla: The Last Jedi
THAT would be BAD

Oh God...

Rian Johnson directing a Godzilla film?

I'd be begging for them to bring Emmerich back...
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Grievous wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:Godzilla: The Last Jedi
THAT would be BAD

Oh God...

Rian Johnson directing a Godzilla film?

I'd be begging for them to bring Emmerich back...
THAT's saying a lot

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

LegendZilla wrote:
MrGoji1999 wrote:
G2000 wrote: STU-PIIID-I-TYYYY OF THEEEE MA-SSSES
ED-U-CA-TIOOON COUNTS FOR NO-THIIIIING
Shin Godzilla?
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I'd be down as fuck for a Rian Johnson Godzilla film. *throws smoke pellet at the ground and disappears before I can get my ass kicked*
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)