Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by vibramrunner »

Mr. Yellow wrote:
Shoopwoop17 wrote:^That is an interesting thought, naming the movie just "King of the Monsters". Would people have gotten it? Would people still go to see it?
From trailers and posters I am sure they would. But if someone were just at the theater trying to decide what to watch, would they know?
https://goo.gl/images/fykKZ9
Holy crap, that brings back memories!

Trying to pin someone was hell. I remember getting so mad. You had to be in just the right spot. That and getting knocked over and it took forever to get up.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

MrGoji1999 wrote: People confusing this film with a remake or reboot is really weird, my family the moment they saw the trailers knew this is a sequel to the 2014 film :eh:
You underestimate the stupidity of the masses
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
MrGoji1999 wrote: People confusing this film with a remake or reboot is really weird, my family the moment they saw the trailers knew this is a sequel to the 2014 film :eh:
Well, personally I know very few people that know some things about Godzilla in my life, so maybe for me audiencies confusing this film with anything other than a sequel is really weird, but if with stupidity you mean people confusing Godzilla and company with some kind of other animals, I believe you.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

King of the Monsters -- you get the "what"
Godzilla: King of Monsters -- you get the "who" and the "what"

Distinction when branding a product is very important. If you know that people are going to a concert primarily to see Bruce Springteen, you're not going to advertise it as "Live in Concert, The E Street Band!"
Last edited by vibramrunner on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I’m actually fine if people confuse this as a remake or reboot; Godzilla 2014 wasn’t that memorable honestly. And from the looks of it, this looks more like a soft reboot than a direct sequel.
Yooo 8-)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

JGAR wrote:I’m actually fine if people confuse this as a remake or reboot; Godzilla 2014 wasn’t that memorable honestly. And from the looks of it, this looks more like a soft reboot than a direct sequel.
I don't see how this looks like a soft reboot at all when the all of the main supporting cast from the last one is returning? Watanabe, Hawkins, and even Strathairn (who I didn't even know was back!) are all present. I'm a little stunned anyone has to ask whether or not this is a sequel after seeing the trailers, especially if they've seen the first one, but never underestimate the stupidity of the general audience I suppose.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Pkmatrix wrote:
JGAR wrote:I’m actually fine if people confuse this as a remake or reboot; Godzilla 2014 wasn’t that memorable honestly. And from the looks of it, this looks more like a soft reboot than a direct sequel.
I don't see how this looks like a soft reboot at all when the all of the main supporting cast from the last one is returning? Watanabe, Hawkins, and even Strathairn (who I didn't even know was back!) are all present. I'm a little stunned anyone has to ask whether or not this is a sequel after seeing the trailers, especially if they've seen the first one, but never underestimate the stupidity of the general audience I suppose.
Different main characters for one, and plus Watanabe and Hawkins won’t have that big of a role. The film also comes 5 years after Godzilla, so people probably forgot about that film already?
Yooo 8-)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

JGAR wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Different main characters for one, and plus Watanabe and Hawkins won’t have that big of a role. The film also comes 5 years after Godzilla, so people probably forgot about that film already?
Sequels with different casts are fairly unusual nowadays, so I guess that might explain why some get confused. But still, the actor most people remember from G'14 after Bryan Cranston is Ken Watanabe and Watanabe is rather prominent in the trailers.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Ok well you also said that the CGI in this trailer which, again, came out in December and is for a movie that comes out on the last day in May, made you concerned.
Doesn't contradict what I said, but thanks.

Added in 2 minutes 10 seconds:
MrRockett wrote:
Man I tried to give you a compliment about sticking to your guns on your opinion, and while you do, you simultaneously piss all over everyone here with what you “know.”

There is a reason why people here either ignore your comments or resent them...you try and take over the discussion and force everyone to deal with you. Gets a bit tiresome for those wanting to have a constructive conversation as opposed to constant attack comments towards others on this board. I don’t know, maybe you’re a great person but something gets lost in translation when you type but it comes out as simply obnoxious.

Maybe I will get banned or suspended or whatever, I really do not care, however unless you can show empirical (based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic) evidence that you have the capability of doing a better job OR verifiable proof that you have done this scope of work at a level higher than those you criticize, then I suggest you evaluate your tact and at least try to discuss in a constructive or cordial manner or just be quiet.

I feel genuine sadness for you, it seems that you truly have a miserable life to take something that brings happiness and joy to so many here and poop all over it.
All I can really say is Godzilla makes me happy, too, and that is why I really want this movie to be as good as it can be.

Look. I bought my 4 year old niece a load of Godzilla toys for Christmas this year, as I've been thoroughly enjoying revisiting the oldies with her and her dad/my brother. I own every Godzilla film, even the ones I chortle at while I watch. My earliest memory, like many 90s boys, is crying when Godzilla died at the end of 1985. I am a fucking fan. And that is why I do not want to be disappointed by this movie. Is that such a crime? I get that for others this is "just a movie", one of many they will go and consume along with whatever McMarvel crap comes down the pike and the 100th Transformers movie. For me, this is one of the few pop franchises I could give a damn about. In other words, if anything, my alleged negativity is informed by the fact that I'm even an even bigger fan than average, and therefore absolutely want this movie to be an A+. Is that really so wrong?

I do not work with CGI on a professional level, no, but I don't think I need to in order to know that what I said about CGI generally is basically accurate. Do you disagree? Does technology get more expensive and CGI get harder to do well over time, or the opposite like I said?
Well I can appreciate your love of the series and that is what seems to have been missing in your posts.Look, I want this to be the best it can be just like I'm assuming most everybody else here does. I think at times we get wrapped up in our own enthusiasm and points of view which can be completely misunderstood in the context of written text. I'm glad you took the time to express your perspective it makes everything more understandable, and I think we all can take a moment when we post to realize that we're all here wanting the same thing even though our individual wants and desires maybe slightly different. I hope we can continue having constructive dialogue and even more hopeful that the movie we end up with it's something that even non-fans can truly be inspired by.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

That Total Film issue which spotlights KOTM came out today. Has anybody seen anything about it, scans or anything?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
STU-PIIID-I-TYYYY OF THEEEE MA-SSSES
ED-U-CA-TIOOON COUNTS FOR NO-THIIIIING
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

G2000 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Shouldn't this film have been titled:

Godzilla 2: Rise of the Titans?
Last edited by Grievous on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MrGoji1999 wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Shin Godzilla?

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Grievous wrote:Shouldn't this film have been titled:

Dear god, no.

King of the Monsters would have been the best title. Yes, some idiots would have been confused. No, we shouldn't care. They're confused anyway; that's why they all think this is a reboot. It's a badass title that doesn't feel the need to clarify who the King of the Monsters is because of course it's fucking Godzilla. Kinda like nobody needed clarification that The Dark Knight was Batman, even if they'd hardly paid any attention to the lore before. Nobody would have been confused once they saw him in a trailer or on a poster.

Oh well, though. Gutsy moves - even tiny ones like not putting Godzilla in a title - isn't in Hollywood's makeup these days.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Grievous wrote:Shouldn't this film have been titled:

Dear god, no.

King of the Monsters would have been the best title. Yes, some idiots would have been confused. No, we shouldn't care. They're confused anyway; that's why they all think this is a reboot. It's a badass title that doesn't feel the need to clarify who the King of the Monsters is because of course it's fucking Godzilla. Kinda like nobody needed clarification that The Dark Knight was Batman, even if they'd hardly paid any attention to the lore before. Nobody would have been confused once they saw him in a trailer or on a poster.

Oh well, though. Gutsy moves - even tiny ones like not putting Godzilla in a title - isn't in Hollywood's makeup these days.
As much as I would've preferred the title be just King of the Monsters - and I do, that's a hell of a title by itself - I do get why they kept Godzilla in the title, from a marketing POV. As much as people like to whine about how Hollywood is out of ideas, more often than not audiences will skip a movie unless it's obvious IN THE TITLE that it's about a character or franchise they're already familiar with. That's why sequels that either don't have the main character's name or is some variation on [PREVIOUS TITLE]: [SUBTITLE] are so rare. It saves a few seconds in the advertising they might otherwise need to sell the movie, which is a good thing since the studios think they have 30 seconds PER DAY to sell the movie to people.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised the James Bond movies haven't adopted that style yet. That might be the last franchise that doesn't have any sort of uniformity to the titles.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I mean, I don’t think there’s such thing as an objectively best title... the movie is called what it’s called, and it’s a relatively decent title IMO. Not overly generic, digs into the lore a little bit - yeah maybe I could think of a specific title that I personally would love most, but what’s the point of complaining it’s not called that.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Not overly generic
It is literally the same exact title as the first movie of the whole genre...
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

God the word remake has lost all meaning, I remember people calling KSI a remake. It's like, no you fucks, it's nothing like past kong films, they don't even leave the island and he doesn't die, hell he only saves Wever, doesn't fall in love with her. It's an original story.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Not overly generic
It is literally the same exact title as the first movie of the whole genre...
I mean in the realm of like American blockbuster titles in general. It’s not like “Godzilla 2: Revenge of Ghidorah”. And I also don’t think one previous instance makes something generic. And, like I also said, it’s actually kind of cool for the fans that they dug into the lore a bit, calling back an old title and using one of Godzilla’s best known epithets.

Anyway, whatever. It’s just a title, it’s just so subjective.