Everything Wrong With Godzilla 2014 (in 14 minutes or less)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Everything Wrong With Godzilla 2014 (in 14 minutes or le

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I love this movie, but Gareth is not Hitchcock.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Are people still that heartbroken over Malcolm's Dad getting dusted early in the movie?
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Castellan Zilla wrote:Are people still that heartbroken over Malcolm's Dad getting dusted early in the movie?
Whatever gives them ammo.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

They're also kind of disappointed that losing him tore most of the interesting human bits out of the movie.
In my opinion, of course.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

I wasn't expecting Cranston to be the main character. Reading up on the development of the film already showed me Ford was. The problem was that he was the only interesting character. Him being the best actor amongst the cast (my opinion) didn't help either. Once he died, everything human drama related dropped immediately.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Didn' t Cranston come in after the role for Joe had already been written or something? If so then Joe's fate had already been before Cranston came in to play him.

#BotM

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Godzilla165 wrote:Didn' t Cranston come in after the role for Joe had already been written or something? If so then Joe's fate had already been before Cranston came in to play him.
Yep, that's what's been said.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

I dunno. Ford was just about as interesting as the young guy in the 1954 film. In retrospect, Edwards nailed that. It's just that the '54 film had Serizawa until the end being the badass.

The young folks in both films were just boring.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Living Corpse wrote:
Gawdziller wrote:In 1960, Alfred Hitchcock killed off Janet Leigh's character in Psycho after 40 minutes and it's hailed as another amazing plot twist from the master.

In 2014, Gareth Edwards kills off Bryan Cranston's character in Godzilla after a half hour and the reaction is "YOU RUINED THE skreeonking MOVIE! WHO CARES ABOUT A GIANT LIZARD I WANTED THE BREAKING BAD DUDE!"
In the words of one of the TK'ers in TK Podcast "the movie is called GODZILLA, not CRANSTON".
FORD!!! :P

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

KJ Corp wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Gawdziller wrote:In 1960, Alfred Hitchcock killed off Janet Leigh's character in Psycho after 40 minutes and it's hailed as another amazing plot twist from the master.

In 2014, Gareth Edwards kills off Bryan Cranston's character in Godzilla after a half hour and the reaction is "YOU RUINED THE skreeonking MOVIE! WHO CARES ABOUT A GIANT LIZARD I WANTED THE BREAKING BAD DUDE!"
In the words of one of the TK'ers in TK Podcast "the movie is called GODZILLA, not CRANSTON".
FORD!!! :P
:lol: Honestly I find the film can barely be called Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Cranston is only one of many great actors in this film, but Joe was the only remotely interesting character, and the only one who's story contains some genuine emotional conflict. That's why killing him off so early is considered a problem to some of us.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Castellan Zilla wrote:Are people still that heartbroken over Malcolm's Dad getting dusted early in the movie?
So people aren't allowed to voice complaints about a movie that's less than five months old?

I'll remember that next time someone decides to bitch about Godzilla films made in the '60s.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

That was pretty funny. I love these CS videos. A good mix of humor and legitimate critiques. You guys getting worked up about the formula make me laugh and miss the point completely of the videos that CS puts out. No need to take it so serious.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Legion1979 wrote:
So people aren't allowed to voice complaints about a movie that's less than five months old?

I'll remember that next time someone decides to bitch about Godzilla films made in the '60s.
People are allowed to voice complaints however they wish. I just find it utterly amusing that people are so hung up over Cranston's character dying early. His character dying didn't phase me one bit. I feel a lot of it has to do with others being emotionally invested with the actor instead of actually focusing on the film itself. Walter White isn't in this film and people need to realize that.
tymon wrote:Cranston is only one of many great actors in this film, but Joe was the only remotely interesting character, and the only one who's story contains some genuine emotional conflict. That's why killing him off so early is considered a problem to some of us.
Believe it was stated Joe was gonna bite it before Cranston took the role. So, no matter who got it, they were getting killed. As I said, it's because it's the precious Cranston that everyone is getting upset over the death. If it was Gary Busey no one would have given a single fuck. :mrgreen:

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Castellan Zilla wrote:
People are allowed to voice complaints however they wish. I just find it utterly amusing that people are so hung up over Cranston's character dying early. His character dying didn't phase me one bit. I feel a lot of it has to do with others being emotionally invested with the actor instead of actually focusing on the film itself. Walter White isn't in this film and people need to realize that.

Believe it was stated Joe was gonna bite it before Cranston took the role. So, no matter who got it, they were getting killed. As I said, it's because it's the precious Cranston that everyone is getting upset over the death. If it was Gary Busey no one would have given a single fuck. :mrgreen:
I know plenty of Alien fans still hung up about Newt and Hicks being killed off in Alien 3. It's not because Hicks was in Terminator or Newt was in whatever else. Because we generally cared for those characters due to the emotional trauma they had to endure. Same with Joe Brody. We cared about his search for the truth. I'd venture to say that a lot of Godzilla fans have not seen Breaking Bad. It's a show geared towards adults and many Godzilla fans are not adults.

And I don't remember them saying he was going to die. Maybe I wasn't playing close enough attention. I understand where you are coming from Castellan I just think you are assuming a little too much. Joe Brody was the best character in the movie and it was disappointing to lose him early. Nothing to do with Walter White
SpaceG92 wrote:

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Castellan Zilla wrote: Believe it was stated Joe was gonna bite it before Cranston took the role. So, no matter who got it, they were getting killed. As I said, it's because it's the precious Cranston that everyone is getting upset over the death. If it was Gary Busey no one would have given a single skreeonk. :mrgreen:
And I repeat, it's because he was the only interesting character. Him being played by Cranston was just delicious gravy.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Joe Brody wasn't the best character in the movie. All of them were pretty one dimensional characters since the movie didn't allow for any character development. That doesn't bother me of course, because hey, this is a monster movie after all.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Castellan Zilla wrote:Joe Brody wasn't the best character in the movie. All of them were pretty one dimensional characters since the movie didn't allow for any character development. That doesn't bother me of course, because hey, this is a monster movie after all.
Who did you think was the best character?
SpaceG92 wrote:

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
Castellan Zilla wrote: Believe it was stated Joe was gonna bite it before Cranston took the role. So, no matter who got it, they were getting killed. As I said, it's because it's the precious Cranston that everyone is getting upset over the death. If it was Gary Busey no one would have given a single skreeonk. :mrgreen:
And I repeat, it's because he was the only interesting character. Him being played by Cranston was just delicious gravy.
I would just like to point out this here. The comparison with Psycho is somewhat deserved, as they both lead you on to who the main character is before killing them off, but the main difference is that Psycho didn't need Janet Leigh in the rest of the film in order to be interesting, Godzilla did. After Cranston's death, we were left with nothing but bland, boring, uninteresting characters who were poorly acted, (except Olsen, who felt like she got less screentime than Godzilla).

So it's not simply a case of "Cranston died early, therefore it sucked," like so many of you are trying to make it out to be. It's actually a case of gutting your movie by giving a lame death (unlike Psycho, which gave Leigh one of the most memorable scenes in all of cinema) to the only interesting/well-acted character in it.
Godzilla21 wrote: I know plenty of Alien fans still hung up about Newt and Hicks being killed off in Alien 3. It's not because Hicks was in Terminator or Newt was in whatever else. Because we generally cared for those characters due to the emotional trauma they had to endure. Same with Joe Brody. We cared about his search for the truth. I'd venture to say that a lot of Godzilla fans have not seen Breaking Bad. It's a show geared towards adults and many Godzilla fans are not adults.
I would just like to say that I'm a HUGE Alien fan myself and I'm one of the only people who didn't have a problem with Newt and Hicks dying in Alien3, because I understood what the movie was going for and thought it succeeded at doing so.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Castellan Zilla wrote:
tymon wrote:Cranston is only one of many great actors in this film, but Joe was the only remotely interesting character, and the only one who's story contains some genuine emotional conflict. That's why killing him off so early is considered a problem to some of us.
Did you even read my post? Joe Brody is the only semi-interesting character in the script, regardless of who portrayed him.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?