Should It Be In Any Existing Godzilla Timeline?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Should It Be In An Existing Timeline?

Showa
5%
Heisei
4%
Godzilla 2000
1%
Godzilla X Megaguirus
No votes
GMK
No votes
Kiryu Saga
1%
Final Wars
1%
Just Godzilla, King of the Monsters
21%
No
68%

Total votes: 102

ManWithNoName
Yojimbo

Re: Should It Be In Any Existing Godzilla Timeline?

Post by ManWithNoName »

No existing timeline, otherwise it will confuse the fucking shit out of people and no one will watch it except Godzilla fans like us.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Existing timeline?

I'd say just Gojira, but if this were a full reboot, than it'll be no, but it'd be nice if Gojira was in continuty d:
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Not really.
The general idea seems to be if Godzilla was thrown into our world today, what would happen?
Not if he showed up 60 years ago and then came back again.
I'm so tired of so many different continuities being sequels to Gojira. I want to see a movie where nobody knows what Godzilla is, instead of going "Oh Godzilla's back."
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

One Word. NO!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe it could make oblique references to 1954.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Needs to be its own thing.

I think even Gojira references Godzilla as a mythologocial creature that has attacked before. Maybe a subtle reference like that.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

PygmyZilla
Samurai

Post by PygmyZilla »

My opinion, keep this Godzilla in his own timeline. There have been plenty of Godzilla movies or series that exist in their own timeline. I want this movie to be the first time people see Godzilla. Let it be the beginning of THIS particular G-series.
It is truly sad when people decide it is best to abandon common sense.

Laserface121
Monarch Researcher

Post by Laserface121 »

There's a reason why this is called a "reboot". It starts the Godzilla franchise from scratch. And if I like what I watch, I'd like to see Toho set a film series in this new continuity.

Laserface121
Monarch Researcher

Post by Laserface121 »

Legion1979 wrote:
Laserface121 wrote:There's a reason why this is called a "reboot". It starts the Godzilla franchise from scratch. And if I like what I watch, I'd like to see Toho set a film series in this new continuity.
That's highly unlikely. Mainly because I don't think we're going to see a new Toho film for a very long time, at least as long as the LP franchise remains profitable and sequels are being made. IF Toho makes another Godzilla film, it won't be until after LP is done with the character and provided that the movies are successful in Japan in the first place. And then, IF Toho decides to make a new Godzilla film, you can bet that they'll do their own thing.

Well, that being said, if this movie's successful, I'd like to see how they go with it.