Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Designs (2018-)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gerdzerl

Re: Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Designs (2018-)

Post by Gerdzerl »

Frezgle wrote:So, another idea for Ghidorah's wings came to me last night when I accidentally stepped on my 3.5e Draconomicon.
The classic DnD gold dragons have a really unique wing design that I think could work for our own gold dragon:
http://www.draconika.com/types/images/gold-dragon.jpg
Basically the limb only has one supporting phalanx (and a thumb, or not), and the rest is what the book describes as "modified frill spines." In Ghiddy's case you'd just have to alter the lengths to better match the shape of his own wings, and there you go. Only problem is, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to bend his wings at the elbow, and would only be able to fold them directly down his back, but that's the only way we've ever seen his wings fold in the first place. Might not be a problem at all. :U

Plus, it makes for a super-cool flight style.
holy shit that's awesome, i want this to happen now

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gerdzerl wrote:
Frezgle wrote:So, another idea for Ghidorah's wings came to me last night when I accidentally stepped on my 3.5e Draconomicon.
The classic DnD gold dragons have a really unique wing design that I think could work for our own gold dragon:
http://www.draconika.com/types/images/gold-dragon.jpg
Basically the limb only has one supporting phalanx (and a thumb, or not), and the rest is what the book describes as "modified frill spines." In Ghiddy's case you'd just have to alter the lengths to better match the shape of his own wings, and there you go. Only problem is, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to bend his wings at the elbow, and would only be able to fold them directly down his back, but that's the only way we've ever seen his wings fold in the first place. Might not be a problem at all. :U

Plus, it makes for a super-cool flight style.
holy shit that's awesome, i want this to happen now
That actually would be good to incorporate into old Ghiddy. Wouldn't mind seeing something like that on the big screen. Also when it comes to Mothra, perhaps they could cover her body in blue bioluminescent speckles in addition to her eyes having a blue glow.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Rodan ''Re-Design'' for Legendary

http://dopepope.deviantart.com/art/zROD ... -484397957

I think something like that would be pretty bad-ass, excuse me if it has been posted before

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Rodan ''Re-Design'' for Legendary

I think something like that would be pretty bad-ass, excuse me if it has been posted before
I like this more than that other popular Rodan image. That Gyaos looking thing that made the rounds back in 2014/2015. You know the one.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Rodan ''Re-Design'' for Legendary

Well that things just repulsive
your source of self destruction

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Other than the weird 3 eyes thing I like this design

http://dopepope.deviantart.com/art/zGhi ... -484265031
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

After some thinking I have finally decided these are my favorite designs I have seen for a Legendary Mothra and Rodan. (Though I don't remember if Lazer intended the Mothra to be a Legendary design.)
Godzilla

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Despite looking through tons of fan art I still never have found one for Ghidorah that really grabbed me.
Godzilla

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Remove the fangs and the sparse hairs on his body, and a Ghidorah like this would make me wet:

Now THIS is the way to incorporate elements from the classic TOHO Ghidorah into a new concept that modern audiences can enjoy.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Yeah, no, still looks like some T-Rated RPG game boss. :lol:

I always loved the idea of 3 separate Ghidorah's fused together into one horrible mish-mash of a body. Very uneven looking. Essentially incorporating some Shin Godzilla ideas.

As it stands, Ghidorah will either look comical or just downright bland.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

I really like this design. One the few designs that is very alien looking but still actually looks like King Ghidorah. Plus love how the artist incorporated the trunk like legs but didn't just make them literally Godzilla's legs but golden/yellow like a few other design I've seen.

Their Rodan also looks pretty good too imo.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

ToxicLove wrote:Yeah, no, still looks like some T-Rated RPG game boss. :lol:
Yea, sure, I can agree with that observation, but what weight does it hold? At least it has the physicality of a lethal, otherwordly entity that could be hypothetically universally-feared
I always loved the idea of 3 separate Ghidorah's fused together into one horrible mish-mash of a body. Very uneven looking. Essentially incorporating some Shin Godzilla ideas.
Fuck to the no!

Shin Gojira concepts need to be forgotten, especially in this universe. Ghidorah should have a more natural body composition, as he is in the Japanese films
As it stands, Ghidorah will either look comical or just downright bland.
And how does this art display either of those?

Tyrant28, nah, not a fan of the trunk-like body at all. Ghidorah should be more slender, like a predatory dinosaur. Such a bulky body wouldn't support a semi-aerial lifestyle. And the knuckle-walking gorilla stance needs to go: we already got that same exact posture with the MUTOs. All this design screams is a collage of Legendary Godzilla, Cloverfield, and Heisei Ghidorah.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Ryguy wrote:Yea, sure, I can agree with that observation, but what weight does it hold? At least it has the physicality of a lethal, otherwordly entity that could be hypothetically universally-feared
It looks like a T-Rated RPG game boss to me. That doesn't spell universally feared to me, that just spells try-hard. Especially those legs. I chortled at the scales.
skreeonk to the no!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3bz7vHe_Q
The design needs to be incorporate for sure. I rather have creative and different interpretations, instead of the same ol, same ol' I'm undoubtedly gonna get (with Legendary anyway)

And how does this art display either of those?
Again, it looks like a T-Rated RPG game boss to me. Don't know what else to tell ya. See post above.

Personally, I'd like to see more of this style of dragon applied to Ghidorah. To date, no other dragon has surpassed this design, though few came close. Nasty, majestic, old, ancient, fearsome, hideous, beautiful....all in one.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The scale placement on this body looks way too artificial. It's almost like Ghidorah's wearing a suit of armor from Skyrim or something. Not a fan of the bat wings or the three tails either.
I always loved the design of Vermithrax and I wouldn't mind Ghidorah's faces taking inspiration from it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ghidorah should like Mothra should be just beautiful to look at, almost like living soild Gold. You should be so in awe of his beauty that it is too late for you when he starts raining down destruction.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

My ideal Legendaryverse King Ghidorah would basically be Matt Frank's old speculative design:

but without the extra pair of wings and only two eyes per head (keep the spilt / unhinged jaws, though), and with elements from this:

plus the sparse body hair / fuzz / furr from this design:

Essentially a modernized Showa Ghidorah.

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

I like the third picture. Very toned and simple. Not too over designed and looks less messy than the second pic.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

ToxicLove wrote:It looks like a T-Rated RPG game boss to me. That doesn't spell universally feared to me, that just spells try-hard. Especially those legs. I chortled at the scales.
But some sort of unstable genetic disaster isn't overdoing it?
The design needs to be incorporate for sure. I rather have creative and different interpretations, instead of the same ol, same ol' I'm undoubtedly gonna get (with Legendary anyway)
And that's exactly what we could still get with a body foundation similar to Heisei Ghidorah. Incorporate the trademark characteristics while additionally transforming the final design into a more lethal organism.
Again, it looks like a T-Rated RPG game boss to me. Don't know what else to tell ya. See post above.
Sure, but does it not also look like a monstrosity that audiences outside of Japan can respect?
UltramanGoji wrote:The scale placement on this body looks way too artificial. It's almost like Ghidorah's wearing a suit of armor from Skyrim or something. Not a fan of the bat wings or the three tails either.
The scale formations reminiscent of armor can be revised: I just discovered an immense liking towards the general body morph. Had the the armor-like hide and the three tails been absent (instead being replaced with only two), how would you react?

And really, the bat-like wings are the only way to illustrate such massive wings onto a bipedal creature, at least if your primary goal is to appease general audiences. The giant hands on TOHO's Ghidorah designs just look abnormal and awkward (that's essentially what they are: oversized hands with almost recessive limbs)

Gerzeri, my ideal Ghidorah possesses the heads belonging to the first illustration (with only two eyes per head) and the body composition of the third minus the hairs and one of the three tails.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Oh wow most of the Ghidorah fan designs here are hideous (excluding Frank's). They either have horrible wings or fucked up faces. Sometimes it's both. :lol: Something like Frank's design incorporating some elements of the Showa design would be sick.

Oh and the Rodan design posted by g2vd is good. Wouldn't mind seeing that in a movie.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

For the heads i wanna see the 1991 design with the Showa manes
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos