Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Designs (2018-)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gelo
Monsterland Worker

Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Designs (2018-)

Post by Gelo »

On July 26th, 2014, Legendary confirmed that Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah will be in the Godzilla sequel/sequels! This thread is for us to speculate what their American CGI designs will be like and later discuss their finished, polished, and final designs.
Discuss!
Last edited by Gelo on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
On March 1st, 1954 at exactly 8:50AM, Operation: Lucky Dragon commenced.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Design Speculation Thread

Post by Space Hunter M »

I for one, as an individual expressing his sincere opinion, speculate that the golden, winged monster King Ghidorah will be designed with feet resembling those of the Gallus gallus domesticus. Thoughts?

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Maybe.
I hope King Ghidorah looks at least somewhat different from the "Oriental Dragon" that we've always seen, but not exactly a "Western Dragon" either.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Make him look like something nobody cares about, like a Slavic dragon that actually has three heads!

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

The Zmey Gorynych? Ehh, that has a sort of Western-ish appearance.
I'm thinking of something more unearthly-looking. Unnaturally natural, like how the MUTOs were.
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Mothra should have a Glasgow grin and makeup to hide an obvious mustache since she's The Joker of this film. Seriously. In my honest onion opinion.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Rodan: Update of the original version.
Mothra: If people are looking for realism, something along the lines of Mothra's design in GMK might work.
King Ghidorah: Ignoring his appearances in the Mothra III and Final Wars, Ghidrah's design has remained largely the same over the years. Perhaps try to make him look a little more natural. Also, bring back his original cackles.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

kamilleblu wrote: Also, bring back his original cackles.
Now I'm thinking of how all 3 of their roars are gonna be updated for the sequels and my heart is now immediately racing with excitement.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

For Mothra I had an idea how they could keep her scientifically grounded but add in the mythology side.

Mothra could be another prehistoric species of the same time period as Godzilla and the Mutos, in this case resembling a giant moth. Like the others, she fed off and drained radiation to grow and thrive. Well, suppose an isolated and dormant Mothra egg existed on a isolated island. Said island, either from nuclear test fallout or inherit stocks of radioactive elements like uranium; was highly radioactive.

The natives of the island would eventually succumb to radiation poisoning, but they noticed that if they visited this strange, giant egg; they would get better (from the egg draining the decaying ions from them). They'd see this as a magic event with the egg healing them, leading to they worshiping it. Perhaps two sisters start a line of priestesses who lead this worship. Come the modern day, the egg has slowly drained enough energy it is close to hatching.

It keeps the 'divinity', the twin priestesses; and the native islanders while making it clear this is a flesh and blood creature.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Desghidorah wrote:For Mothra I had an idea how they could keep her scientifically grounded but add in the mythology side.

Mothra could be another prehistoric species of the same time period as Godzilla and the Mutos, in this case resembling a giant moth. Like the others, she fed off and drained radiation to grow and thrive. Well, suppose an isolated and dormant Mothra egg existed on a isolated island. Said island, either from nuclear test fallout or inherit stocks of radioactive elements like uranium; was highly radioactive.

The natives of the island would eventually succumb to radiation poisoning, but they noticed that if they visited this strange, giant egg; they would get better (from the egg draining the decaying ions from them). They'd see this as a magic event with the egg healing them, leading to they worshiping it. Perhaps two sisters start a line of priestesses who lead this worship. Come the modern day, the egg has slowly drained enough energy it is close to hatching.

It keeps the 'divinity', the twin priestesses; and the native islanders while making it clear this is a flesh and blood creature.
That...makes a whole lot of sense.
This should be how it plays out. QUICK, SEND IT TO BORENSTEIN OR WHOEVER!
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Desghidorah wrote:For Mothra I had an idea how they could keep her scientifically grounded but add in the mythology side.

That's a really solid idea. Mothra could be related to the MUTOs, though a few major differences separate her from the creatures Godzilla battled in G14. Mothra's relation to the MUTOs could be used to explain Godzilla's aggression towards her.

Gelo
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gelo »

kamilleblu wrote:

That's a really solid idea. Mothra could be related to the MUTOs, though a few major differences separate her from the creatures Godzilla battled in G14. Mothra's relation to the MUTOs could be used to explain Godzilla's aggression towards her.
Gareth needs to see this now.
On March 1st, 1954 at exactly 8:50AM, Operation: Lucky Dragon commenced.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

This is what I sometimes do when bored:

Resized Image

Nothing special......
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone remember me brining up that ETN video for King Ghidorah on YouTube?

Pretty intriguing huh?

That gives me an idea of how Ghidorah could look assuming they take that route. Rather than the majestic gold-skinned asiatic dragon we're accustomed to seeing, instead a grotesque, unsightly, malformed monstrosity.

Something along the lines of this : http://guyverman.deviantart.com/art/Mut ... -370786616

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

I hope they use the Monster X/Kaiser Ghidorah idea again.

SteveIrwinFan96
G-Force Personnel

Post by SteveIrwinFan96 »

These are fan made, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got something close to them:
Mothra: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bx5Vn9eIYAAb3gG.jpg:large
Rodan: http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2 ... 7qyim6.jpg
and
King Ghidorah: http://www.godzilla-movies.com/media/go ... idorah.jpg.

wisper15
Xilien Halfling

Post by wisper15 »

^ I see that, and I think Chimera from Resistance.
TK's resident Taurean

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

That zLegendary King Ghidorah...I've been working on an alien-esque version of him myself. If they do give him more alien-like features, that will definitely sell the "Space Dragon" concept.
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Design (2018-) Thread

Post by Julia Bristow »

As for Mothra & King Ghidorah I'd go with what Desghidorah & Corpse posted of how Legendary could handle both monsters

As for Rodan's design I'd like to see something along the lines of this:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art/ ... an_01.html
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Living Corpse wrote: http://i58.tinypic.com/spb50k.jpg

The extra eyes don't make him look less like Ghidorah, and in fact kind further sell the point it's a space alien.
I actually like this design. It makes him look more intimidating.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III