Turning Godzilla Around(Personality Wise)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Plexton
EDF Instructor

Re: Turning Godzilla Around(Personality Wise)

Post by Plexton »

It's a plot point in Gamera 3 that Gamera's link with humanity was severed when he lost his link with Asagi (the price of Gamera's victory over Legion). Previously, Gamera had actively tried to save humans (such as preventing Legion from destroying a helicopter full of people fleeing). However, in Gamera 3 he was no longer mindful of the small creatures in his way, and Gamera felt no remorse about killing hundreds of humans when he had a clear shot at Gyaos. This change in attitude is what caused the Japanese government to order Gamera's immediate destruction.

In Godzilla 2014, Godzilla caused destruction by accident. However, Godzilla also seemed to avoid intentionally harming humans (going under bridges,etc.), and never bothered to fight back against the human military (they were little more than a nuisance anyway). It's difficult to say what would have happened if Godzilla had engaged the MUTO in a city without an evacuation having taken place, but I imagine the result would have been similar to the Shibuya district scene in Gamera 3 (if anyone hasn't seen it, it's probably the most brutal inner-city kaiju battle ever, with a staggeringly high death toll).

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

Well, now that we know how to lure MUTOs around, they could potentially be used as 'natural disasters' against specific targets (i.e. nuclear materials could be secretly planted at a location to lure a MUTO, with no strings attached to the ones responsible, and no evidence left behind).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Plexton wrote:It's a plot point in Gamera 3 that Gamera's link with humanity was severed when he lost his link with Asagi (the price of Gamera's victory over Legion). Previously, Gamera had actively tried to save humans (such as preventing Legion from destroying a helicopter full of people fleeing). However, in Gamera 3 he was no longer mindful of the small creatures in his way, and Gamera felt no remorse about killing hundreds of humans when he had a clear shot at Gyaos. This change in attitude is what caused the Japanese government to order Gamera's immediate destruction.
Its a bad plot point because Gamera still saves a kid and later risks his life with Iris to save Ayana. Gamera in G1 haunted Gayos at all costs it is only in G2 that he goes out of his way to protect people and that could be because Asagi was in danger and Legion was not Gayos.

When ever Gayos was involved Gamera went all out and G3's incident looked to be caused by Gamera himself being more powerful.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

Thanks Godzilla 1995; it makes me glad kaiju aren't real!

You're right about Gamera's attitude being somewhat ambiguous towards humans throughout the Revival trilogy, miguelnuva; in the first film, Gamera doesn't seem to care one way or another, and it's really only in Gamera 2 that he acts like a full-on hero. Gamera is also shown in a heroic light at the end of Gamera 3, so I think the goal with the Heisei trilogy was to distance Gamera from his unambiguously 'good guy' past (just like Godzilla 1984 did with Godzilla).

Kaiju Claws
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Kaiju Claws »

What about when Gamera saves the child (and 2 of our heroes) on the bridge in the first Heisei film? And it may "not count" because it's Asagi, but he does heal her at the end of the film. I thought Gamera came off rather heroic in both GotU and Legion, with Iris being the film that makes his heroics questionable (before the end, as pointed out).

As far as Godzilla goes though, I actually like his portrayal in the new film. I think it's fun, allowing him to ride the line between hero and force of nature quite well. I would prefer not to see him become the villain in the new movie (or die "in the end" for that matter). I want to see a heroic Godzilla for awhile.
Dungeon Master of the D20 Section

"As long as the arrogance of mankind exists, Godzilla will survive."
- Tomoyuki Tanaka