Page 1 of 9

What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 pm
by GodzillaFan1992
I apologize if a thread like this has already been made, but I searched and couldn't find one, but anyways. This is a thread to talk about what Godzilla possibly is. IMO, I think this is what he is most likely.

Due to the structure of his body, it wouldn't be far out of the question to say that he's from a species part of the rauisuchian (Such as Postosuchus) family and what makes this more likely is that Godzilla is 250 million years old, the early triassic, the time when rauisuchians began appearing.

What about you guys? What do you think Godzilla is?

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:11 pm
by Maverick Centigrade
He's just some early reptile. That's what the credits basically say. There's no other area to classify him besides just, reptile.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:10 pm
by junkerde
a God.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:22 pm
by Space Hunter M
Image
"What is your species? What are you?"

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:41 pm
by Castellan Zilla
An irradiated iguana. Whoops, wrong Godzilla movie.

Honestly, I don't think it's really that important. It's an action/science fiction film. I don't need an explanation of what Godzilla truly is to enjoy the film.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:44 pm
by Jeff-Goldblum1
Godzillasaurus

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:16 pm
by G2000
GTU wrote:From his armor plating, I'd assume a close relation to crocodiles. At the same time the body stance doesn't resemble any crocodile, and in fact, doesn't resemble reptiles in general. In addition to the time period when Godzilla's species was most prominent, it's entirely possible he could be some form of Synapsid. Which would make him more closely related to mammals than anything else.


Seems likely. As you said, fits the time frame, and he also has a decent amount of mammalian features (his face in particular).

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:27 pm
by Maverick Centigrade
GTU wrote:From his armor plating, I'd assume a close relation to crocodiles. At the same time the body stance doesn't resemble any crocodile, and in fact, doesn't resemble reptiles in general. In addition to the time period when Godzilla's species was most prominent, it's entirely possible he could be some form of Synapsid. Which would make him more closely related to mammals than anything else.


None of Godzilla's stances and postures ever resembled a reptile though. According to Wikipedia reptiles started in the late Carboniferous, which precedes the Permian era where Godzilla is from. So he's still definitely reptilian.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:33 pm
by GodzillaFan1992
GTU wrote:Synapsids shared the Permian period with reptiles, and synapsids were the largest land vertebrates of the Permian. I'm sticking with him being a synapsid.

How though. He has no mammal like features and has reptile like features like every other Godzilla incarnation.....I mean look at Godzilla. Also this Godzilla is 250 million years old. That isn't from the Perimian, that's the early triassic, and the time when Rauisuchians began to appear.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:36 pm
by G2000
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
GTU wrote:Synapsids shared the Permian period with reptiles, and synapsids were the largest land vertebrates of the Permian. I'm sticking with him being a synapsid.

How though. He has no mammal like features and has reptile like features like every other Godzilla incarnation.....I mean look at Godzilla. Also this Godzilla is 250 million years old. That isn't from the Perimian, that's the early triassic, and the time when Rauisuchians began to appear.


He seems ridiculously mammalian to me. Look at his facial features. Look at his posture. He looks very similar to a bear to me.

I like the theory of him being a synapsid.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:38 pm
by GodzillaFan1992
G2000 wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
GTU wrote:Synapsids shared the Permian period with reptiles, and synapsids were the largest land vertebrates of the Permian. I'm sticking with him being a synapsid.

How though. He has no mammal like features and has reptile like features like every other Godzilla incarnation.....I mean look at Godzilla. Also this Godzilla is 250 million years old. That isn't from the Perimian, that's the early triassic, and the time when Rauisuchians began to appear.


He seems ridiculously mammalian to me. Look at his facial features. Look at his posture. He looks very similar to a bear to me.

Yet he has no mammal like skin or hair/fur? Then look at his skin, it's scaly like a reptile. What mammals have reptilian skin may I ask?

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 pm
by G2000
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Yet he has no mammal like skin or hair/fur? Then look at his skin, it's scaly like a reptile. What mammals have reptilian skin may I ask?


You dolt.

Dimetrodons were synapsids.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:43 pm
by GodzillaFan1992
G2000 wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Yet he has no mammal like skin or hair/fur? Then look at his skin, it's scaly like a reptile. What mammals have reptilian skin may I ask?


You dolt.

Dimetrodons were synapsids.

Crap, forgot about those. I was thinking more of Gorgonops or something. :oops:

Well the fact is, IMO I think Godzilla is from a species part of the Rauisuchian family for this very reason. One, this Godzilla is 250 million years old, that's the early triassic and that is when Rauiscuchian's began appearing. Then if you really think about it, Godzilla does have a built similiar to a Rauisuchian such as Postosuchus when standing upright, then combined with the Rauisuchian's scaly reptilian skin and volia. Here you have it.

Spoiler:
Image

Spoiled this since the image is big.

Image

See what I mean now?

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:44 pm
by Maverick Centigrade
GTU wrote:Synapsids shared the Permian period with reptiles, and synapsids were the largest land vertebrates of the Permian. I'm sticking with him being a synapsid.


But the credits (the marked out ones) clearly stated he was a reptile...though. That doesn't factor in here? You're welcome to think he's a synapsid, I won't stop ya.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:51 pm
by GodzillaFan1992
GTU wrote:Would the credits even be considered canon?

@GodzillaFan1992: Synapsids still existed into the Triassic, so it's very possible an early ancestor of Godzilla's escaped the Permian-Triassic extinction.

Point taken there, but I'd still like to think that Godzilla is a Rausisuchian since they first appeared 250 million years ago, the time Godzilla was born, so perhaps his species were part of the Rauisuchian family and among the first ones to evolve.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:53 pm
by Maverick Centigrade
I don't see why it wouldn't canon. It's files and data within Monarch.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:55 pm
by G2000
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Well the fact is, IMO I think Godzilla is from a species part of the Rauisuchian family for this very reason. One, this Godzilla is 250 million years old, that's the early triassic and that is when Rauiscuchian's began appearing. Then if you really think about it, Godzilla does have a built similiar to a Rauisuchian such as Postosuchus when standing upright, then combined with the Rauisuchian's scaly reptilian skin and volia. Here you have it.

Spoiled this since the image is big.
http://thedinosirs.files.wordpress.com/ ... o1_500.jpg

See what I mean now?


Yes, I do; still, I am entrenched in the synapsid camp.

Maverick Centigrade wrote:But the credits (the marked out ones) clearly stated he was a reptile...though. That doesn't factor in here? You're welcome to think he's a synapsid, I won't stop ya.


While all mammals are synapsids, not all synapsids are mammals. Again, Dimetredon comes to the forefront.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:58 pm
by GodzillaFan1992
G2000: Alright, I'll respect your opinion. :)

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:59 pm
by G2000
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:G2000: Alright, I'll respect your opinion. :)


And I will respect yours.

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:02 pm
by Maverick Centigrade
I'm sticking to reptile group. It's in the credits and his skin. That's all I need.