What is Godzilla? His species?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Post by ILL GREEN »

I don't think Godzilla is really a reptile but you have to admit that the marine iguanas looks a bit like him. With the charcoal skin and silver-like fins, plus the long arms. Only thing is that Godzilla stands straight and doesn't crawl like Anguirus. But that can be faulted to radiation exposure along with his size and atomic breath.

Godzilla probably was once a dragon as in the Book of Daniel but remain hidden within the Earth's crust until the atomic age which altered him into the kaiju-ō he is today.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

more liek a croc lookin bear

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

ILL GREEN wrote:I don't think Godzilla is really a reptile but you have to admit that the marine iguanas looks a bit like him. With the charcoal skin and silver-like fins, plus the long arms. Only thing is that Godzilla stands straight and doesn't crawl like Anguirus. But that can be faulted to radiation exposure along with his size and atomic breath.

Godzilla probably was once a dragon as in the Book of Daniel but remain hidden within the Earth's crust until the atomic age which altered him into the kaiju-ō he is today.

This version is not mutated.

At all.

They even found another skeleton that was almost identical save for a shorter tale and weird spines.

He's a pre-exising species that came that way and everything.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:
GTU wrote:Synapsids shared the Permian period with reptiles, and synapsids were the largest land vertebrates of the Permian. I'm sticking with him being a synapsid.
But the credits (the marked out ones) clearly stated he was a reptile...though. That doesn't factor in here? You're welcome to think he's a synapsid, I won't stop ya.
What credits did he say he was a reptile?

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Olzh26 wrote:
GTU wrote:Synapsids shared the Permian period with reptiles, and synapsids were the largest land vertebrates of the Permian. I'm sticking with him being a synapsid.
But the credits (the marked out ones) clearly stated he was a reptile...though. That doesn't factor in here? You're welcome to think he's a synapsid, I won't stop ya.
What credits did he say he was a reptile?
I was wrong, I thought I had seen it back then, but the credits make no mention of it. But I've always seen him as a reptile to be honest.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Honestly the Genus/Species being Titanus gojira with the individual being named Godzilla is perfect.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

For an actual binomial nomenclature naming, it makes zero sense at all. Since all of the other titans have Titanus as their binomial, which would be for the Genus. Would have been better as Gojira titanus, but it just something only zoology nerds are going to care about anyways.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Tbh the "Titanus" designation, as little biological sense it makes, does make sense from a practical point of view for Monarch- much easier to organize all of the data when it's just "Titanus_", and without going through the hardship of coming up with a scientific name for every new Titan. That, and "Titanus Gojira" just sounds badass.

As for classification...dunno, a basal Archosaur related to Dinosaurs and Crocodiles perhaps? Maybe a Pseudosuchian? Going by the scalation, looks very croc-esque. The gills could be a secondary evolution rather than a remnant.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Dv-218 wrote:Tbh the "Titanus" designation, as little biological sense it makes, does make sense from a practical point of view for Monarch- much easier to organize all of the data when it's just "Titanus_", and without going through the hardship of coming up with a scientific name for every new Titan. That, and "Titanus Gojira" just sounds badass.

As for classification...dunno, a basal Archosaur related to Dinosaurs and Crocodiles perhaps? Maybe a Pseudosuchian? Going by the scalation, looks very croc-esque. The gills could be a secondary evolution rather than a remnant.
Considering that Godzilla appeared earlier than pseudosuchians, he most likely has a separate line of development of archosaurs.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

junkerde wrote:more liek a croc lookin bear
oh my god i forgot about this dude lol
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

What about muto? they have a structure like that of vertebrates, but a life cycle like that of arthropods. the question "who are they " remains open
Last edited by Olzh26 on Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Olzh26 wrote:What about muto? they have a structure like that of vertebrates, but a life cycle like that of arthropods. the question "who are they " remains open
I don't think we'll ever get an answer on that one.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I heard an idea that they might be heavily derived, terrestrial Placoderms once. Obviously just a speculation and far from confirmed (we'll never know lol), but a pretty neat one. Might explain why they have such a unique look and biology despite being vertebrates.
Not to mention, MUTO Prime's face does look somewhat like that of a bony fish, Dunkleosteus in particular.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Olzh26 wrote:What about muto? they have a structure like that of vertebrates, but a life cycle like that of arthropods. the question "who are they " remains open
I don't think we'll ever get an answer on that one.
Sooner or later, producers must disclose the classification of titans. And in GvK, judging by the synopsis, they should reveal the origin of the kaiju, then maybe we will be told about their classification and evolution.

Added in 9 minutes 57 seconds:
Dv-218 wrote:I heard an idea that they might be heavily derived, terrestrial Placoderms once. Obviously just a speculation and far from confirmed (we'll never know lol), but a pretty neat one. Might explain why they have such a unique look and biology despite being vertebrates.
Not to mention, MUTO Prime's face does look somewhat like that of a bony fish, Dunkleosteus in particular.
If they are vertebrates, why is their life cycle like that of arthropods? or is such a life cycle possible in vertebrates?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Olzh26 wrote: If they are vertebrates, why is their life cycle like that of arthropods? or is such a life cycle possible in vertebrates?
The vertebra of the female MUTO is visible in high-res as her decapitated corpse falls under the water
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Olzh26 wrote:why is their life cycle like that of arthropods? or is such a life cycle possible in vertebrates?
Why are you trying to apply real world logic to crazy made-up monsters?

The answer is always- they just do.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Wed May 15, 2019 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Ben Shapiro wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:why is their life cycle like that of arthropods? or is such a life cycle possible in vertebrates?
Why are you trying to apply real world logic to crazy made-up monsters?

The answer is always- they just do.
Percisely. Movie science at it's finest. Nobody is going to question the ability of Godzilla to breathe an atomic breath, or Ghidorah's ability to generate lighting storms- and this is no different.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Ben Shapiro wrote: Why are you trying to apply real world logic to crazy made-up monsters?
Well, that’s because it’s fun to do. Kaiju are weird and that makes trying to figure what they are and how they function all the more interesting. :D

Sure, you don’t have to question it, but why not? It’s fun!
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Wed May 15, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Gerdzerl wrote:
Ben Shapiro wrote: Why are you trying to apply real world logic to crazy made-up monsters?
Well, that’s because it’s fun to do. Kaiju are weird and that makes trying to figure what they are and how they function all the more interesting. :D

Sure, you don’t have to question it, but why not? It’s fun!
In some cases, maybe, but in others it takes away the novelty of these monsters.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Flopsaurus
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.