What is Godzilla? His species?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Post by Olzh26 »

He a CJI model

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

he a big lizard who fight the bad snake for justice
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

G2000 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:lately I’m very worried about the possibility that the titans appeared in the Archean and are relatives. a line from the short story hints at this. legendary, hear our prayers and do not make it canon.
What short story?

In any case it doesn’t particularly bother me all that much, Godzilla and the other Titans are enough of an impossible biological aberration as is that their having somehow managed to evolved during the Archean Eon makes just as much sense as anything, and even if it were made canon I can’t see it affecting the actual plot that much
It makes less sense than anything, though. If Mothra is confirmed to belong to the order Lepidoptera, then she does not come from the Archean. If Behemoth is a relative of ground sloths, then he's not from the Archean. If Godzilla resembles archosaurs, then he's not from the Archean. Repeat this for all of them, including Rodan and Scylla. The Archean Eon concept is not scientific at all, but rather foolish.

I'd prefer if there's some level of believability to it all, rather than weird pseudo-scientific randomness that doesn't really require much thought and isn't backed up by any level of research. Otherwise, immersion is lost. This isn't Ultraman, or some silly Showa era Godzilla film. The MonsterVerse started with a certain level of science-based information to Godzilla, and that is how they must play it for consistency and continuity.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

After much thought and conclusion I pretty much decided what Godzilla's species is.

An descendant of an proto-amniote amphibian from the Carboniferous period (Especially given his gills) with convergent evolution (Crocodilian armor-like skin).

I mostly decided with this one due to possessing gills which amphibians (Or at least some adults) have.

Credit for this idea goes to Desghidorah.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:lately I’m very worried about the possibility that the titans appeared in the Archean and are relatives. a line from the short story hints at this. legendary, hear our prayers and do not make it canon.
What short story?

In any case it doesn’t particularly bother me all that much, Godzilla and the other Titans are enough of an impossible biological aberration as is that their having somehow managed to evolved during the Archean Eon makes just as much sense as anything, and even if it were made canon I can’t see it affecting the actual plot that much
It makes less sense than anything, though. If Mothra is confirmed to belong to the order Lepidoptera, then she does not come from the Archean. If Behemoth is a relative of ground sloths, then he's not from the Archean. If Godzilla resembles archosaurs, then he's not from the Archean. Repeat this for all of them, including Rodan and Scylla. The Archean Eon concept is not scientific at all, but rather foolish.

I'd prefer if there's some level of believability to it all, rather than weird pseudo-scientific randomness that doesn't really require much thought and isn't backed up by any level of research. Otherwise, immersion is lost. This isn't Ultraman, or some silly Showa era Godzilla film. The MonsterVerse started with a certain level of science-based information to Godzilla, and that is how they must play it for consistency and continuity.
where was it confirmed that Behemoth is a relative of ground sloths?

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Olzh26 wrote:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
G2000 wrote:
What short story?

The novelization says that he resembles ground sloths more than mammoths, and many have ran with that. Honestly, I'm not sure on that idea. It reminds me more of a massive Chalicotherium, with a tapir's proboscis. Either way, none of these giant mammals come from the Archean Eon.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

It’s not a proboscis, it just looks like a mini trunk, that’s actually his snout, kinda like a moose.

He can also go bipedal when he needs to, which is a giant sloth thing
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Given Behemoth's popularity. May I insist making an "What is Behemoth? His species?" thread and move the discussion over there?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Please no, it’s really not needed
Long Live The Sting

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Given Behemoth's popularity. May I insist making an "What is Behemoth? His species?" thread and move the discussion over there?
I already created a topic about the classification of all monsters from MonsterVerse, you can write about behemoth there, but this makes no sense since it is already known what species of behemoth is

Added in 1 minute 56 seconds:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: It makes less sense than anything, though. If Mothra is confirmed to belong to the order Lepidoptera, then she does not come from the Archean. If Behemoth is a relative of ground sloths, then he's not from the Archean. If Godzilla resembles archosaurs, then he's not from the Archean. Repeat this for all of them, including Rodan and Scylla. The Archean Eon concept is not scientific at all, but rather foolish.

The novelization says that he resembles ground sloths more than mammoths, and many have ran with that. Honestly, I'm not sure on that idea. It reminds me more of a massive Chalicotherium, with a tapir's proboscis. Either way, none of these giant mammals come from the Archean Eon.
I probably ask too much, but could you quote a line from the novel where this is said?
Last edited by Olzh26 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

in one interview, Dougherty confirmed that Scylla is a cephalopod and the Behemoth appeared in the ice age. The theory of the Titans from Archean is beginning to make less and less sense. Great!
Last edited by Olzh26 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Olzh26 wrote:iBehemoth appeared in the ice age
That can't be a coincidence
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

GuardianGhido wrote:
Well, the animals that Behemoth/Mapinguary is based upon are both from the Pleistocene, or the ice age.
Olzh26 wrote:I probably ask too much, but could you quote a line from the novel where this is said?
I think this is it.
His tusks and thick hair made him look superficially like a mammoth, but he really was built more like a giant ground sloth; his forelimbs were longer than the back, and he rested on the knuckles of hands or paws with thick, sharp claws.
I had to find my copy of the novelization. By the way, off topic, but I the only one who doesn't like the very casual language used in the thing? I can't take the writing seriously.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Olzh26 wrote:Behemoth appeared in the ice age.
Well yeah like that was obvious anyways given Behemoth's design and based off mammoth and ground sloth.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Well, the animals that Behemoth/Mapinguary is based upon are both from the Pleistocene, or the ice age.
Olzh26 wrote:I probably ask too much, but could you quote a line from the novel where this is said?
I think this is it.
His tusks and thick hair made him look superficially like a mammoth, but he really was built more like a giant ground sloth; his forelimbs were longer than the back, and he rested on the knuckles of hands or paws with thick, sharp claws.
I had to find my copy of the novelization. By the way, off topic, but I the only one who doesn't like the very casual language used in the thing? I can't take the writing seriously.
I think here was meant only the external resemblance. not the fact that Behemoth is a sloth

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Actually I was referring to the fact that the Ice Age has something to do with a particularly popular duo of a Mammoth and Sloth too. If Behemoth had Smilodon features too it would just be a blatant reference.

But the actual logical aspects of him to be from the Ice Age makes sense too.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GuardianGhido wrote:Actually I was referring to the fact that the Ice Age has something to do with a particularly popular duo of a Mammoth and Sloth too. If Behemoth had Smilodon features too it would just be a blatant reference.

Behemoth having characteristics of a mammoth and a sloth does not in any way constitute a reference to the Ice Age movies
Last edited by G2000 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Behemoth is a reference to the mindset of America right now and our stance on foreign politics
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

G2000 wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Actually I was referring to the fact that the Ice Age has something to do with a particularly popular duo of a Mammoth and Sloth too. If Behemoth had Smilodon features too it would just be a blatant reference.

Behemoth having characteristics of a mammoth and a sloth does not in any way constitute a reference to the Ice Age movies
No but if he had Mammoth, Sloth and Sabretooth Tiger characteristics and was said to come from the Ice Age, it would seem like be a funny nod to them if nothing else.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

were there any hints in MonsterVerse at that Godzilla is a reptile?
Last edited by Olzh26 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.