The Best Franchise Reboot

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Which of these films was the best franchise reboot?

Godzilla 2014
55%
Return of Godzilla (1984)
34%
Godzilla 2000 (1999)
11%

Total votes: 97

three
Keizer

Re: The Best Franchise Reboot

Post by three »

Starsteam wrote:I find it kind of odd how the only the two American films rebooted from scratch while Toho kept their reboots cannon with at least the original film. Makes me wonder what it would be like if they tried to pull a '98 in '84.
i'm slightly confused by this statement. would you mind clarifying?
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Godzilla21 wrote:
GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
three wrote:what would you say about it that made it more average than special?

EDIT: i keep getting ninja'd.
My memory of the film is a little rusty, but from what I remember, it had some pretty cheesy moments ("Maybe Godzilla's inside of each one of us.") (although much of the cheesiness was due to the fact I've only been exposed to the dub), some of the characters weren't that great (I remember the little girl annoyed me), and I remember it being a bit slow in the middle. It has been a bit since I've seen it but my memory is pairing it with average. I should pop it back in my laptop since I've got so much time to kill on campus.
I actually hadn't watched it since I saw it in theaters until a few weeks ago. Although it was a little better than I remembered it is still a slow movie. Was not a fan of the new design. There is something majestic about the Heisei design and I thought the G2K design was a downgrade. The alien ship looked like a giant turd. It is ranked 21st on my list.
The design, I forgot to mention that. I hate green Godzilla with purple spines and red atomic breath. Hate it. It also just flat out reminds me of Reptar.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

^ I'd probably take G2K's design over the one from G85 any day.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote: The design, I forgot to mention that. I hate green Godzilla with purple spines and red atomic breath. Hate it. It also just flat out reminds me of Reptar.
LOL. Reptar. Great way of putting it. IMO G14 was the best design since G95.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

^ HA! reptar!! that's gold!!!

i liked the updated design, and the dirt ship reminded me of the collector ship from ME2, which also looks unsavory but is an emissary for a greater threat (the reapers, Orga).

and finally, we get a vote of confidence from Jomei for G2000!!! :D
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

three wrote:
Starsteam wrote:I find it kind of odd how the only the two American films rebooted from scratch while Toho kept their reboots cannon with at least the original film. Makes me wonder what it would be like if they tried to pull a '98 in '84.
The 1998 and 2014 American reboots stood on their own while the Toho ones were at least cannon to the original? If Toho had tried to redesign and redefine the character in their 1984 reboot instead of basing it on the original?

That's all I've got.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Starsteam wrote:
three wrote:
The 1998 and 2014 American reboots stood on their own while the Toho ones were at least cannon to the original? If Toho had tried to redesign and redefine the character in their 1984 reboot instead of basing it on the original?

That's all I've got.
ah, i see. i don't think the character had generated enough appeal yet. going by Biollante, it really, really didn't have the sort of money draw it would have needed. by TBFE though, i think the tide had turned.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Godzilla21 wrote:
GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote: The design, I forgot to mention that. I hate green Godzilla with purple spines and red atomic breath. Hate it. It also just flat out reminds me of Reptar.
LOL. Reptar. Great way of putting it. IMO G14 was the best design since G95.
The G14 design is just so fucking good. Seriously, it's just soo great. My only nitpicks are the spine color and the atomic breath not being more beam-like, but all of that just pales when the rest of it is so spot on. I can't wait to see their work on Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i broke down and cast my vote for 2000.

yes, speaking critically i'd have to say RoG is the best of the three. however, as i have said previously, 2000 was an all around better Godzilla film than either of the other two films.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Jomei wrote:
three wrote:and finally, we get a vote of confidence from Jomei for G2000!!! :D
Hm? I've always been a fan of the film, and my opinion of it (despite some cosmetic flaws in some shots) has mostly grown over the years.
in this particular thread, support has been virtually nonexistent for it. that's how i meant it, though it didn't come off that way. sorry.
Last edited by three on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

three wrote:
Jomei wrote:
three wrote:and finally, we get a vote of confidence from Jomei for G2000!!! :D
Hm? I've always been a fan of the film, and my opinion of it (despite some cosmetic flaws in some shots) has mostly grown over the years.
in this particular thread, support has been virtually nonexistant for it. that's how i meant it, though it didn't come off that way. sorry.
Certainly not a bad film. It was my first experience seeing the actual Godzilla on the big screen and I'll always remember how Orga opening his mouth to swallow Godzilla scared the absolute shit out of me.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

three wrote:
ah, i see. i don't think the character had generated enough appeal yet. going by Biollante, it really, really didn't have the sort of money draw it would have needed. by TBFE though, i think the tide had turned.
And yet in 1983 Steve Minor tried to do a US reboot, though it didn't come through. And there was that other film that tried to make Godzilla a alien. I guess I'm just trying to say that out of the 27 predecessor films Toho did for Godzilla, they never tried to restart the story like the American films. I wouldn't mind hearing some ideas if Toho ever had any (that probably didn't involve mutant iguanas or prehistoric alpha predators).

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

When, if ever, Toho decides to reboot the franchise, what direction do you guys think they'll head this time around? Will they stick to traditional methods (hopefully they'll have made vast improvements)? Do you think they'll wait until they're ready for complete commitment to digital effects before making another attempt? Or do you think Toho will commission films/license out the character from here on out? Will it be connected to the original like most of its predecessors? Will it be dark/gritty, light-hearted, or middle ground? What are your thoughts?

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

I honestly have no idea what Toho would try to do. I don't think they'll do anything until this American franchise runs its course. I don't see them trying to make another film like G'54 or G'84. So where does that leave us? More Millennium style, vanilla-flavored versus romps? I have no idea.
In my opinion, of course.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

It's impossible to guess and hard for me to imagine a Toho film without Gojira being the origin.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

It's a bit early for me to choose, I think.

Never mind, misread the question. I would definitely say The Return of Godzilla because it brought Godzilla back to his nuclear roots after nearly a decade of silence. I also really love the movie for what it is.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

kaiju_wars wrote:And for Godzilla 2000, I know it is a reboot... but I saw it more as, "hey you Americans, THIS is how a Godzilla movie is done!"
perhaps this is why the film to me feels like it just nails everything Godzilla became over the years. Final Wars could have taken a note or two from this film and followed its example to close out the era, even.

LP had a more realized scope, and the resources. 84 brought the monster back to his roots and for all intents and purposes made us a suspense thriller (aka a horror movie with Godzilla. i had the discussion with eabaker before, and sadly he isn't around to hear me admit that a year later, i will agree that he was right. RoG is a horror movie.). 2000 however was taking Godzilla and simply delivering what one might consider a "traditional" presentation.

it worked beautifully.

C-rex
Monsterland Worker

Post by C-rex »

Have to go with 2000.
chesy and cool, its just as standard as G fimls need to be as a minimun.
It has aliens, a fresh take in gojira and take the spirit of the over all series.
I dont like 85' because it is just like G 54 but more darker and cold war-ish

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

2014 out of those choices.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

C-rex wrote:I dont like 85' because it is just like G 54 but more darker and cold war-ish
You found it darker than Gojira? Or did you mean KotM?