Hiroshima bomb origin would've been inappropriate (read OP)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Re: Hiroshima bomb origin would've been inappropriate (read

Post by Tokage »

Fighing On Fuji wrote:The movie claims that Godzilla was awoken by a Russian or American submarine.
Another problem with this is that the first nuclear-powered sub, the USS Nautilus, didn't actually put out to sea until 1955. It was completed in 1954, but remained at dock until later.

Now, you can always assume that in the G2014 universe, the sub was active earlier, or had a secret mission in 1954, or whatever. But it's yet another example of someone not doing their homework with regard to tinkering with the new Godzilla's origin in an attempt to let the US military off the hook for the Castle Bravo/ Bikini atoll tests being what awakened Godzilla.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Tokage wrote:
Fighing On Fuji wrote:The movie claims that Godzilla was awoken by a Russian or American submarine.
Another problem with this is that the first nuclear-powered sub, the USS Nautilus, didn't actually put out to sea until 1955. It was completed in 1954, but remained at dock until later.
That's what they WANT you to think, man. It's just like Roswell or the Lewinsky incident, they're covering it up and changing facts, man!

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Yeah, if Gojira is going to be put out as a hero i guess it's bad to link him to bad stuff. Makes sense.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

Godzilla's an anti-hero, it's basically been his role since original 1954 movie. Anti-Heroes can be villains in one instance, and then be a hero in the next instance.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Marketability (as well as Thomas Tull's stated desire for Godzilla to be the good guy) says that we won't see Godzilla as a villain in this franchise anytime soon.
In my opinion, of course.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

HannibalBarca wrote:Marketability (as well as Thomas Tull's stated desire for Godzilla to be the good guy) says that we won't see Godzilla as a villain in this franchise anytime soon.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

HannibalBarca wrote:Marketability (as well as Thomas Tull's stated desire for Godzilla to be the good guy) says that we won't see Godzilla as a villain in this franchise anytime soon.
He doesn't need a villains role, they just need to allow Godzilla to keep his traditional Anti-Hero role.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

There won't be much anti in his anti-hero is what I'm getting at. He'll be an oversized superhero that doesn't interact with people.
In my opinion, of course.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

HannibalBarca wrote:There won't be much anti in his anti-hero is what I'm getting at. He'll be an oversized superhero that doesn't interact with people.
Basically Godzilla vs. Hedorah, which was the Showa film that this forum deemed the movie most similar to.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Fighing On Fuji
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fighing On Fuji »

HannibalBarca wrote:There won't be much anti in his anti-hero is what I'm getting at. He'll be an oversized superhero that doesn't interact with people.
While I think this is hyperbole (how many people did the Avengers kill by flooding a major city?), it does serve to illustrate my point. A hero/antihero shouldn't be a result of the very thing the film detests unless the enemy that he fights is the result of his existence or the thing that made him exist (the bomb).

Showa Godzilla post-54 was not stated or even much implied to have been awakened by the bomb. In any case, the nuclear subtext as it pertains to Godzilla himself was basically swept under the rug for the remainder of the series. I know there were anti-nuclear themes throughout the Showa series, but they were never in the form of "this awakened Godzilla"

The Heisei series had a Godzilla that was mutated by nuclear weaponry, but it either had Godzilla doing bad things or stopping threats that are ultimately tied back to his existence and/or mankind's reaction to it. Therefore, even when he saves the day, the fact remains that without nuclear weaponry, none of this mess would be happening in the first place.

The Millennium series saw a number of different incarnations with varying back stories. The only one that bugs me is Final Wars, where a nuclear-born Godzilla saves humanity from a race of beings so unrelated to his origins that they weren't even aware of his existence. Good thing we have Godzilla around; good thing we used those nukes!

Now we come to this Godzilla, a creature which, while initially awakened by humankind, is stirred into action by the calls of the threat to humanity (MUTOs). This Godzilla seeks no man-made radiation source. He is as far-removed from a nuclear bombing origin as the Showa Godzilla of the color films. The MUTOs come from a man-made radiation source, but they are annihilated by this Godzilla. Like Heisei Goji, he solves problems we create, but unlike the Heisei era, those problems are unrelated to his origin. Now, with Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan along the way, who knows what will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the coming events further serve to illustrate how wrong it would be to have Godzilla's origins tied to nuclear weaponry.