Godzilla starts Spanish-American War

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
InstinctiveGigan
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla starts Spanish-American War

Post by InstinctiveGigan »

I personally don't see a problem using monsters for old tragedies like past wars, historical tragedies (Hindenburg, Titanic, etc). Part of the problem is how it offends people who are related to the people who died; which is why it is extremely distasteful to make funnies out of 9/11 or the Dark Knight shootout, it's too recent and there are still people affected by it. But as long as the only people who are offended by it are long dead it's okay cuz I'm sure they won't care at all, you know, cuz they're dead.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Biollante is a she. :P
My life...is a lie.
#GiganConfirmed. Spread it, embrace it, Legendary will make it. Do it now!

GojiMet86
GPN Volunteer

Post by GojiMet86 »

As much as I find it weird that Godzilla had some involvement in this war, one has to remember that in Awakening, Serizawa pulls out paintings and things that clearly depict Godzilla.

jobalexang
Ronin

Post by jobalexang »

I think it opens the door to more monsters/kaiju in further potential movies. Maybe they assigned the War to Godzilla, when it might've been another monster they couldn't identify.

I also remember someone in another thread mentioning how Ghidorah could end up being the what the Greeks called the hydra, the mythical multi-headed sea serpent. Maybe when Ghidorah flew off into space, the Greeks thought he had been seized up by the gods or something. That would be a cool way to link that back-story to this world.

C-rex
Monsterland Worker

Post by C-rex »

Am I the only oe that adores the painting in caves and old books beeing godzilla?
I mean yes those dont look like him, but thats the greatness about it they are interpretations about the same animal in diferent aages under diferent social and artistical concepts.
Have any of you see paleo art o f the 1800's ? check those out, really interesting.
Well Lc theory is really great monstes have been cheking and visiting they old playgrounds and habitat during a period of million years, even way before humans where able to comunicate, it seems that they also inspired varius miths around the world, who says kaiju that sporadicly pop up in random areas in the world sometimes where seen and admired by ancient civilations and made it into they folklore?

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

gigan72 wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:That "screenshot" at the top looks fake, but I'll look for it in the credits when someone puts them up online.
LOL. The border around it is one of my screenshots from one of the unlisted M.U.T.O. Bikini Island videos.
Hell, I even have it on my Flickr.
The one he linked to though is also proof it is real.
EDIT: Though really, i'm not sure what to think of it. It doesn't seem like something this Godzilla would dso, at least to me.
I just didn't recall seeing it during my two viewings of the film, so I was just a little hesitant in what was a very basic looking screenshot. I wasn't trying to straight up claim it was fake.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Gojira 2000
Samurai

Post by Gojira 2000 »

Godzilla moving around before the 1950's isn't an error, I'd imagine he'd have to move around the oceans to find new sources of radiation in the deep sea when his current resting place dried up, so that'd at least tally up with the sightings of sea monsters over the centuries. However the other likely possibility is that the sightings and disasters were caused by some monster, or monsters, other than Godzilla.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Now we can see the USS Maine paper much more clearly for anyone who wants to know. Unfortunately, my Photobucket is being crap right now, so I might not have an image uploaded for a while.

Operation: Lucky Dragon video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJkmVabo3T0

UPDATE:
Here they are! ;) Finally...

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k63 ... 1410822746
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

yedme
Yojimbo

Post by yedme »

For me its just little flavour to setting that they want to connect monsters with history. While im not involved in any country being discussed here (america, spain and japan) i can say that for me it isnt some disrespect to people involved in this situation OR for G origin.
Why?
1. Cuz its natural and well known that people reimagine and twists history for entertainmen purposes ;P seriously, we in poland have comedy film series called: how i started ww2... skreeeonk, we as a country and nation was completly destroyed after ww2 and people remember it and aftermaths pretty well and dont get offended... cuz guys, hello, this is fiction and everybody know it.
2. G origins warried in his history, and newest one says he is ancient, prehistorycal or maybe even older. So to sell that better, they made that opening credits with monsters through ages and pseudo-science. For me, that Maine thing shows thatpeople are ready to fight for every skreeonk, even when its nobody fault. And i think that G was just swimming by. And yes, its silly but its G movie, dont need to be serious ;P

Btw: i will pay to see ascene with pompeii being destroyed by G getting out of volcano or rhodes of collosus collapsing just by kaiju swimming by :) and THAT will be tie in to history ;P

NewBloodGodz
Terminated
Terminated

Post by NewBloodGodz »

To bump a dead thread due to two others that referenced it,

REALLY? The history buffs in this thread are offended and call the sinking of the USS Maine tasteless and offensive but not the same for how they made the nuclear test that inspired the first film (and caused the Lucky Dragon No. 5 incident) a cover up?

*facepalm*

XD

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

NewBloodGodz wrote:To bump a dead thread due to two others that referenced it,

REALLY? The history buffs in this thread are offended and call the sinking of the USS Maine tasteless and offensive but not the same for how they made the nuclear test that inspired the first film (and caused the Lucky Dragon No. 5 incident) a cover up?

*facepalm*

XD
You're gonna get some gatorzilla tier responses lmao
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

NewBloodGodz
Terminated
Terminated

Post by NewBloodGodz »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
NewBloodGodz wrote:To bump a dead thread due to two others that referenced it,

*facepalm*

XD
You're gonna get some gatorzilla tier responses lmao

Don't know what that is, and at least I'm asking the right questions.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

G2000 wrote:Image

From the opening credits.

For those uninformed:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Main ... 1)#Sinking

It's definitely an interesting idea, and it's cool that they worked in the mystery surrounding sinking of the Maine.
Why did you decide that it was Godzilla?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Olzh26 wrote:

For those uninformed:

It's definitely an interesting idea, and it's cool that they worked in the mystery surrounding sinking of the Maine.
Don’t revive this thread; let it die as all pointless threads should lol
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sun May 12, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

This here is why I hope more is historic events were revealed to be influenced by monsters such as the Mayans having worshiped Rodan as Camazotz, the Mayan death god.

It'd show how much monsters and other titans had influenced the world and human civilization through legends/myths/gods as well as historic events.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun May 12, 2019 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Hokmuto wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:

For those uninformed:

I still want to know why you decided that it was Godzilla

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Olzh26 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: Why did you decide that it was Godzilla?
Vogt Roberts himself said it was Godzilla
Long Live The King

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Hokmuto wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote: Don’t revive this thread; let it die as all pointless threads should lol
You can link to where he said it?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Olzh26 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: I still want to know why you decided that it was Godzilla
It’s literally in the audio commentary for Kong Skull Island
Long Live The King

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Hokmuto wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote: Vogt Roberts himself said it was Godzilla
I could be wrong, but you may be thinking about Bill Randa's ship, the U.S.S. Lawton. Roberts alluded to that one being sunk by Godzilla. However, I don't think anything was said about the Maine, which is the ship that is referenced during the opening credits. That was the ship that was sunk to begin the Spanish-American War.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: You can link to where he said it?
I could be wrong, but you may be thinking about Bill Randa's ship, the U.S.S. Lawton. Roberts alluded to that one being sunk by Godzilla. However, I don't think anything was said about the Maine, which is the ship that is referenced during the opening credits. That was the ship that was sunk to begin the Spanish-American War.
Ah, yes. That’s correct. Thanks for the correction. Nonetheless logically, it’ll be Godzilla.
Long Live The King