What didn't you like about the movie?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Re: What didn't you like about the movie?

Post by Mr. Xeno »

astroturf wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Alien and Predator.
Well Godzilla's suit I mean, since he's depicted as a giant creature I prefer him CG, alien and predator work better because of their smaller size, it's the depiction I guess. Again like i said, doesnt mean I hate the suitmation. I'm speaking strictly Godzilla, I prefer him CG, I never said I prefer alien or predator CG (i shouldve clarified, CG has more possibilites with Godzilla, I wasn't generalizing every movie just Godzilla).
That's true, honestly. You can get a far greater range of movements with CGI than you could ever get with practicals (this is why I prefer TMNT to go CG as well). And there's no suit folds either.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Why not a mixture of suitmation/miniatures and computer generated imagery? I don't want to see the traditional way of making these films completely done away with.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
astroturf wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Alien and Predator.
Well Godzilla's suit I mean, since he's depicted as a giant creature I prefer him CG, alien and predator work better because of their smaller size, it's the depiction I guess. Again like i said, doesnt mean I hate the suitmation. I'm speaking strictly Godzilla, I prefer him CG, I never said I prefer alien or predator CG (i shouldve clarified, CG has more possibilites with Godzilla, I wasn't generalizing every movie just Godzilla).
That's true, honestly. You can get a far greater range of movements with CGI than you could ever get with practicals (this is why I prefer TMNT to go CG as well). And there's no suit folds either.
Agreed.

Just leave the suits to Toho. Seeing Godzilla in CGI that doesn't completely suck a few more times won't hurt.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Living Corpse wrote:Was kind of let down that Pacific Rim did more mixing of the two than Godzilla. And Pacific Rim looked good with both.
Pacific Rim had one scene with miniatures (the Newton's Cradle joke) and had no suitmation whatsoever. The Jaeger cockpits were practical and enhanced with CGI via greenscreen, but it's not like they were the only scenes in the movie to do that. Godzilla probably had just as much.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

From the casting and all the talk about being more like a character film I was expected G14 to have been way more of an ensemble piece. It was almost criminal to cast so many great actors and then not give them crap to work with. It was almost like a waste of their talents. As characters most everybody else in the movie was far more interesting than Ford but unfortunately weren't given jack to do. Hell except blow up the nest, Ford really didn't do much either to be perfectly honest.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Hell except blow up the nest, Ford really didn't do much either to be perfectly honest.
I still say that Godzilla should have blasted the nest himself.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'd say that our complaints of Godzilla not having another monster to back in 1998 took its toll.

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

The movie feels like they tried to have action scenes, but not be a summer action movie, and at the same time have some kind of eco message, but nothing that might offend or get people thinking.

What they ended up with was a weak plot that was too shallow to deliver any kind of message or provoke any thought, but took itself way too seriously to have a good ol' fashioned monster mash.

This is what happens when you try to please everyone and don't have the cajones to go all-in with a purpose. They can't make the army look bad, they can't make the army's nukes look bad, they can't make soldiers look bad, they can't make America look bad, and for some reason they can't make Godzilla look bad. So they just ended up making the writers look bad instead.
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Black Lion wrote:The movie feels like they tried to have action scenes, but not be a summer action movie, and at the same time have some kind of eco message, but nothing that might offend or get people thinking.

What they ended up with was a weak plot that was too shallow to deliver any kind of message or provoke any thought, but took itself way too seriously to have a good ol' fashioned monster mash.

This is what happens when you try to please everyone and don't have the cajones to go all-in with a purpose. They can't make the army look bad, they can't make the army's nukes look bad, they can't make soldiers look bad, they can't make America look bad, and for some reason they can't make Godzilla look bad. So they just ended up making the writers look bad instead.
Wow. True poetry. :P

I actually love how you worded this, honestly, and I agree with you, even though it sounds sarcastic.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Black Lion wrote:The movie feels like they tried to have action scenes, but not be a summer action movie, and at the same time have some kind of eco message, but nothing that might offend or get people thinking.

Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

Of course, what studio in their right mind is going to fund big-time special effects for a movie that is going to make a lot of people angry and uncomfortable showing dangers and terrors of very real and present nuclear weapons? The current agenda is to make people either forget about them or think of them as a security blanket we hold onto every time we perceive an enemy threatens us.

In this day and age where the visual spectacle is the most important part of everything from music to movies to video games, nobody can really afford to have conviction AND be successful. If it doesn't have the most advanced realistic CGI and over-the-top action scenes nobody wants it, and what script writer or director can pay for that themselves? You either sell out or you don't sell at all. This is why I don't expect any future movies to be any more substantial than what we have here now, the best we can hope for is a mindless action movie with some cool effects.
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I'm not a fan of how they altered his origin story. In every reboot/sequel, excluding Sony's experiment, Godzilla has always been a prehistoric reptile mutated into an atomic nightmare by American nuclear weapon tests in the Pacific Ocean. He has always been humanity's punishment for reckless behavior, a reflection of the darkness within us. Resurfacing through the years to remind us that with great power comes great responsibility. Even when defending the Earth, he's often referred to as a force of nature, he retained these origins. This origins "update" removes humanity's responsibility for his existence and somewhat undermines his original purpose.