Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Are you excited?

Yes!
86%
Meh
11%
No thank you
3%

Total votes: 316

UltramanGoji

Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

Post by UltramanGoji »

Every new thing is posted on the main page.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:JVR says during the commentary track that there was going to be an image of Godzilla during the sequence where the Lawton is shown, but he didn't want to take any attention from Kong in any way.
Yup. Sorry Chris, you're in the wrong here.

From the commentary track:

"This (picture of the Lawton) was actually at one point supposed to be a picture of Godzilla and I fought really hard against that because I really felt like the movie needed to be about King Kong at the beginning and to sort of have an image of Godzilla up front suddenly turned it into a "weird sequel". I always felt there was going to be people going to see this movie who didn't know anything about Godzilla and luckily the studio was very smart and understood that, so it was a very last minute change."

It's Godzilla, but the situation in the movie leaves it open for a retcon if Legendary wants to do that. But, for all intents and purposes right now, it's Godzilla.
No, it would have been Godzilla had that image been included in the movie. The image wasn't included in the movie, and what they intended at one time to include is irrelevant to a reading of the completed work.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

No, it would have been Godzilla had that image been included in the movie. The image wasn't included in the movie, and what they intended at one time to include is irrelevant to a reading of the completed work.
Not to mention that just because Godzilla would have originally been there, that in no way implies he caused whatever picture replaced his. Unless Roberts comes out and says "Godzilla destroyed the Lawton" there is no evidence either way.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:So, does anyone have proof on what sank the USS Laughton? Evidence points towards Godzilla, but Ive seen others say it's Shinomura, despite G:A being dubiously cannon. If it WAS Godzilla, what proof is there to support this idea?
There isn't any. I postponed the video interview I shot with Jordan Vogt-Roberts posting due to Nakajima's death but it will be posted this week. It's the last question but essentially, it's just some unnamed monster.
Where will I be able to find this interview?
It'll be up on Wednesday. It's being paired with a 50 minute audio interview with Larry Fong as well for those of you who are interested in cinematography etc too!

Added in 4 minutes 19 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:JVR says during the commentary track that there was going to be an image of Godzilla during the sequence where the Lawton is shown, but he didn't want to take any attention from Kong in any way.
Yup. Sorry Chris, you're in the wrong here.

From the commentary track:

"This (picture of the Lawton) was actually at one point supposed to be a picture of Godzilla and I fought really hard against that because I really felt like the movie needed to be about King Kong at the beginning and to sort of have an image of Godzilla up front suddenly turned it into a "weird sequel". I always felt there was going to be people going to see this movie who didn't know anything about Godzilla and luckily the studio was very smart and understood that, so it was a very last minute change."

It's Godzilla, but the situation in the movie leaves it open for a retcon if Legendary wants to do that. But, for all intents and purposes right now, it's Godzilla.
How would I be wrong when it's the same guy giving me information. Wouldn't he be wrong? He goes into detail though so watch the interview when it's up.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Gojira95
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira95 »

Have to admit, it'd be really cool if the monster that attacked the Lawton was Manda.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Chris55 wrote: How would I be wrong when it's the same guy giving me information. Wouldn't he be wrong? He goes into detail though so watch the interview when it's up.
You said it was never intended to be Godzilla when the commentary itself says that it was originally supposed to be. I'll definitely watch the interview as it seems weird that JVR contradicts what he says in the commentary. Perhaps the question was "Was the monster who attacked the Lawton Godzilla?" rather than "Was is supposed to be Godzilla".

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Chris55 wrote: How would I be wrong when it's the same guy giving me information. Wouldn't he be wrong? He goes into detail though so watch the interview when it's up.
You said it was never intended to be Godzilla when the commentary itself says that it was originally supposed to be. I'll definitely watch the interview as it seems weird that JVR contradicts what he says in the commentary. Perhaps the question was "Was the monster who attacked the Lawton Godzilla?" rather than "Was is supposed to be Godzilla".
Went back and checked and the question I asked was "Was that Godzilla?".
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

https://vimeo.com/226838902

If this is the interview you're talking about, the response seemed to be more along the lines of "It's open to interpretation". Roberts says that he personally doesn't think its Godzilla rather than "no, it's not Godzilla". And, as expected, the interview mentions that the studio originally wanted Godzilla but Roberts lobbied against it, which is what he says in the commentary track.

So, it's still an open-ended question. Could it be Godzilla? Yes. Could it be some other monster? Sure. There really is no definitive answer, even from the director himself. We'll just have to see if any future films expand on it.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

the interview mentions that the studio originally wanted Godzilla but Roberts lobbied against it, which is what he says in the commentary track.
What he said here and in the commentary was that a picture of Godzilla from the Castle Bravo blast in the scene with the Senator at the beginning. Godzilla was never going to be in the film in the context of the USS Lawton being destroyed, I'm not sure why people keep conflating these.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

What's a bit silly about the Lawton is, you have an unidentified attacker stirring speculation and ultimately, it has little bering on anything because the man it affected has been killed before we could really explore the impact it had on him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GFAN198423 wrote:What's a bit silly about the Lawton is, you have an unidentified attacker stirring speculation and ultimately, it has little bering on anything because the man it affected has been killed before we could really explore the impact it had on him.
This points one of my problems with the movie: it has no significant through-lines. Ultimately, it's just a bunch of stuff that happens.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote:https://vimeo.com/226838902

If this is the interview you're talking about, the response seemed to be more along the lines of "It's open to interpretation". Roberts says that he personally doesn't think its Godzilla rather than "no, it's not Godzilla". And, as expected, the interview mentions that the studio originally wanted Godzilla but Roberts lobbied against it, which is what he says in the commentary track.

So, it's still an open-ended question. Could it be Godzilla? Yes. Could it be some other monster? Sure. There really is no definitive answer, even from the director himself. We'll just have to see if any future films expand on it.
It's obviously Bagan. Come on fools
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

eabaker wrote:This points one of my problems with the movie: it has no significant through-lines. Ultimately, it's just a bunch of stuff that happens.
It's a very entertaining film, and I love it and watch it repeatedly, but, especially listening to him talk, I think Roberts got too caught up in all his "wouldn't this be cool to see" ideas and working them in and not focusing on the non-visual narrative.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The film is definitely fun to watch, but I don't get the sense of "journey' like you do with the '33, '74 and '05 King Kong films. Yes, this is a different Kong, more of a kaiju than previous films.. but I for sure wanted the feeling of "journey" to the island, on the island etc... Like I said it's a fun Kaiju Kong film, but nothing really more.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I loved this movie. There was only one thing that I didn't like, which was how there were more helicopters in the air and being attacked by Kong than there were on the ship. At least we got more destruction out of this mistake though.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

This crew update is a little different because of a couple reasons. #1378.

Still photographer Chuck Zlotnick not only confirms his involvement on his official resume, but also has a few neat stills from the set of Kong posted on his website here: http://www.chuckzlotnick.com/#/127092/

Added in 9 hours 41 minutes 46 seconds:
#1380. 8/30.

props Nalu Carvalho (Godzilla, Jurassic World, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm7082830/

Gener8 lead stereo compositor Geoffrey Harlos (Godzilla, 2 DECU movies, 4 Marvel movies) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4723324/

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Honestly, I don't know what to think of all this CinemaSins madness that's been going on recently.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

GigaBowserG wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTFPCuQfvw[/]
This is now one of my favorites Honest Trailers ever.
Last edited by Destorogoji on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

And in their commentary show, someone managed to come up with the Batman v Superman "You have to save Mothra!" joke.

Welcome to the party, dude- TK forums had that, like, a month ago!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!