Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Are you excited?

Yes!
86%
Meh
11%
No thank you
3%

Total votes: 316

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

Post by vibramrunner »

^That wouldn't explain why Kong continues to grow, however, unless his species never evolved -- which I suppose is possible. It seems like in this MonsterVerse, when there's a rival, the top predator -- or the strongest animal -- actively seeks out and destroys anything that presents itself as a threat to their rule (ex: Godzilla and the MUTOs). I'm thinking this kaiju would be bigger, if Kong let them live. And when Kong reaches a certain level of height and strength, maybe another monster takes notice..

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I could see Godzilla being treated as a villain simply by being the aggressor in their fight. Kong wants to be left alone but Godzilla sees him as a threat to his territory.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kong sized burgers?! Challenge accepted! Buh haha
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

vibramrunner wrote:^That wouldn't explain why Kong continues to grow, however, unless his species never evolved -- which I suppose is possible. It seems like in this MonsterVerse, when there's a rival, the top predator -- or the strongest animal -- actively seeks out and destroys anything that presents itself as a threat to their rule (ex: Godzilla and the MUTOs). I'm thinking this kaiju would be bigger, if Kong let them live. And when Kong reaches a certain level of height and strength, maybe another monster takes notice..
Yeah, it seems to be well established in the Monsterverse that MUTOs don't get along, and the bigger ones being killed off by apex predators like Godzilla would create a selection pressure favoring smaller ones.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I could see Godzilla being treated as a villain simply by being the aggressor in their fight. Kong wants to be left alone but Godzilla sees him as a threat to his territory.
I like this idea. Somehow Godzilla discovers Kong, and begins hunting him down. Neither are really "antagonists" in the traditional sense, but because of Godzilla being the alpha predator, he makes it his goal to kill Kong, and "restore balance".

#BotM

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla165 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I could see Godzilla being treated as a villain simply by being the aggressor in their fight. Kong wants to be left alone but Godzilla sees him as a threat to his territory.
I like this idea. Somehow Godzilla discovers Kong, and begins hunting him down. Neither are really "antagonists" in the traditional sense, but because of Godzilla being the alpha predator, he makes it his goal to kill Kong, and "restore balance".
Seems like a good idea! And for Kong, it could be kinda the same thing, but here, he's just defending his own territory

GreenScar1990
Monarch Researcher

Post by GreenScar1990 »

It could also be the case of two Alpha/Apex Predators living alongside one another until they eventually cross paths and decide to battle it out for territorial reasons.

In other words... "This planet isn't big enough for two of us."

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Kong would be like:

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I'd personally like to see Kong as the aggressor. Due to his violent history with the Skull Crawlers he'd view anything that's large and reptilian to be a major threat.

GreenScar1990
Monarch Researcher

Post by GreenScar1990 »

What if neither Godzilla or Kong are the aggressor in the film?

What if it's some other creature, or creatures, who are setting both monsters towards each other? Get Kong and Godzilla to fight one another, let them both become tired and wounded, and then go in for the kill in order to eliminate them?

I could see Destoroyah, and it's numerous forms and hordes, being capable of doing this. Plus, there's another creature that'd fit the bill: Gaw and the Deathrunners.

Think about it. What if there is another third Apex/Alpha Predator, one who has a rivalry/hatred of Godzilla and Kong's species? In comes one or more giant terrifying powerful and intelligent saurians, Gaws, and their hordes of Deathrunners that're at their command.

In the recent ongoing comic series from Boom! Stuidos, there was a titanic two-headed King Gaw who controlled the Deathrunners, other Gaws (normal and two-headed versions) and all the other giant carnivorous dinosaurs of Skull Island.

What if such beasts were on the rise, determined to populate and overrun the entire world. In order to do that, they'd have to eliminate the biggest threats: Godzilla, Kong, and Humanity.

It'd certainly give Kong & Godzilla reason to team-up and unite their might against such numerous, overwhelming enemies. Plus, the humans could get involved by fighting and killing the smaller, yet still deadly Deathrunners (like the Legion soliders in Gamera 2 & Destoryah in GvD).

Then again, maybe it will just be King Ghidorah in some all-powerful form.

Thoughts?

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I personally wouldn't want ANOTHER outside source getting two characters to fight one another. Let Godzilla and Kong wage war against each other because THEY want to. These are two massive, extremely aggressive, and territorial beasts. It wouldn't take much to set them off, and fight for territorial reasons.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla165 wrote:I personally wouldn't want ANOTHER outside source getting two characters to fight one another. Let Godzilla and Kong wage war against each other because THEY want to. These are two, massive, extremely aggressive and territorial beasts. It wouldn't take much to set them off, and fight for territorial reasons.
Yeah, and the last time a film tried that kind of plot, it didn't go quite as well as people hoped. *COUGH*BvS*COUGH*

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Do about that new image of kong; did anyone notice the water buffalo by his foot? Like damn, its a smol bean.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Do about that new image of kong; did anyone notice the water buffalo by his foot? Like damn, its a smol bean.
What new image?

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

This one.

Ripper Rex
Yojimbo

Post by Ripper Rex »

Is that the Water Buffalo? I dont see any horns. Then again its head is submerged in the foliage. :P

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

GFAN198423 wrote:This one.

Awesome thanks!

Ripper Rex
Yojimbo

Post by Ripper Rex »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Me and my mom went to a burger joint today and found something pretty neat:

They are going all out with advertising.
Also, never Kong size your burger. I think I'm gonna explode.
Am I the only one who finds that....mouthwateringly delicious?

Also I'm pretty sure a Kong size Sundae would be about the height of a three story building with a spoon the size of a pickup truck for the big guy :P

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

GreenScar1990 wrote:What if neither Godzilla or Kong are the aggressor in the film?

What if it's some other creature, or creatures, who are setting both monsters towards each other? Get Kong and Godzilla to fight one another, let them both become tired and wounded, and then go in for the kill in order to eliminate them?

I could see Destoroyah, and it's numerous forms and hordes, being capable of doing this. Plus, there's another creature that'd fit the bill: Gaw and the Deathrunners.

Thoughts?
I get that this opinion probably isn't popular here, but I don't like the idea of monsters from former movies implanted into the MonsterVerse. The only exceptions, to me, are monsters that have already been in multiple movies -- Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, even Anguilis (because him fighting with his doppelganger water buffalo monster would be epic/hilarious).

The problem for me with monsters that don't have more name value like these guys are that they're too specifically tailored for the movies they were in. Take Destroyah, for example. For one thing, the filmmakers for that movie totally copped the Alien movies when the army/police is fighting the baby Destroyahs -- that's an element of Destroyah's character that's pretty dated at this point. Also, the oxygen destroyer that created Destroyah doesn't (YET) exist in this MonsterVerse.

Another example: Hedorah. In Godzilla vs The Smog Monster, the major premise of that movie is the disastrous effects humans have on the environment, and how that comes back on us eventually. That would still be a great movie premise today -- and unfortunately all the more relevant -- but it really has nothing to do with the MonsterVerse.

Taking characters like these are rewriting them into the newer movies is sort of an injustice to the originals, where the monsters were created specifically for those storylines, and it also handicaps the writers. The MUTOs were a really nice start, and I'm loving what I've seen from K:SI so far -- let's give them a chance and see what they can come up with! Also, I remember I used to have some Godzilla comics, and there were some good ideas in those as well. Creativity is key, so outside of the classics, I'd like to see some new blood.

*I will amend this post just to say so long as used, non-classic monsters are not central to the storyline, I wouldn't mind them being thrown in as an "easter egg"-- like if Godzilla was on his way to fighting Kong on Skull Island and outta nowhere Varan shows up and they have a brief fight before Godzilla kills him off, I would enjoy that, just a nice nod to the fans that remember him. It would be even better if they kept him at his Showa size, just to contrast the movies.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I feel stupid just realizing that Kong throwing trees at helicopters is a homage to him throwing trees at helicopters in King Kong Escapes. :facepalm:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos