Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Are you excited?

Yes!
86%
Meh
11%
No thank you
3%

Total votes: 316

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

Post by eabaker »

Dear Billy,

I finally got to the theater to see Kong: Skull Island last night.

Some moments were very well-conceived and well-executed; most of them involved the monsters.

Some moments were extremely cheesy and overwrought; most of them involved the humans.

The one and only calm, contemplative scene involving Kong was extremely well-executed - enough so that it pretty much justified the $3.50 admission cost.

I can't think of another movie that spends so much time insisting to you that it's totally 1973, you guys. We probably would have understood the Viet Nam context with a lot less reminding.

Overall, some excellent concepts were undercut by a lack of focus or point-of-view; a generally choppy, noisy approach; an overabundance of blunt expository dialogue; and a peppering of unmotivated camera movement, especially early on.

It is probably worth watching again at some point, but there will likely need to be drinking and some yelling at the screen involved.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I really wasn't that impressed by it when I saw it
The pacing is too fast, everything makes cameo quick appearances, and every death is ignored like it didnt happen
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Thought this would be interesting to show.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Thought this would be interesting to show.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDCyH_xUAAAZk0q.jpg

I can do that to if I have weed
your source of self destruction

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

14 tons of food a day. How many tons would Kong weigh if that's how much food he eats?

#1284.

ILM effects technical director Alvin Gunawan (Pacific Rim, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Great Wall) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6576430/

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

TheSecondComing wrote:14 tons of food a day. How many tons would Kong weigh if that's how much food he eats?
As we know it, Kong weighs roughly about 150 tons. So he'd be about 164 tons. Doesn't sound like much now, but the better question is... How much food does he eat when he gets bigger?
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I really wasn't that impressed by it when I saw it
The pacing is too fast, everything makes cameo quick appearances, and every death is ignored like it didnt happen
I pretry much agree with this. Even then though I kinda felt like Joe's death in G14 didn't really matter much in the end either. Elle is the only one who seemed to show any emotion towards his death. It's really something this franchise needs to remedy.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

KaijuX wrote:
TheSecondComing wrote:14 tons of food a day. How many tons would Kong weigh if that's how much food he eats?
As we know it, Kong weighs roughly about 150 tons. So he'd be about 164 tons. Doesn't sound like much now, but the better question is... How much food does he eat when he gets bigger?
I honestly wonder where they even got the 158 ton figure from. It doesn't accurately match his implied volume very well.

According to the ideal weight calculator on Super Skinny Me, the ideal weight for a 5 foot, 11 inch (180.34 centimeter) tall man with a medium frame is 154-166 pounds (69.8532-75.2963 kilograms). Using the square-cube law formula, that man would weigh 379.36304 - 408.923761 metric tons when scaled to Kong's height of 104 feet (31.6992 meters).

Given that Kong is clearly bulkier and more muscular in build than a human, as seen above, 158 tons (whether measured in US/short tons or metric tons) is far too light for what his volume would likely entail. Kong should should easily weigh in the range of around 400-430 metric tons.

28,000 pounds (14 tons) of food wouldn't really be enough to properly feed him unless he's fasting or something lol.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

"Every death is ignored."

Excuse me, but WHAT?

The team's deaths in that first Kong attack are literally the driving force of the rest of the plot. They are what turns Lt. Packard into Col. Kurtz, the primary factor in his craving for revenge. There's even a burial scene, which is admittedly short and I could see where you may have forgotten it, but the collection of the dead's dog tags is too key a point to just ignore.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

TheSecondComing wrote:"Every death is ignored."

Excuse me, but WHAT?

The team's deaths in that first Kong attack are literally the driving force of the rest of the plot. They are what turns Lt. Packard into Col. Kurtz, the primary factor in his craving for revenge. There's even a burial scene, which is admittedly short and I could see where you may have forgotten it, but the collection of the dead's dog tags is too key a point to just ignore.
Yeah, the only death that basically goes ignored is Randa's.

But that's a big problem, since Randa is the most narratively significant character to be killed off.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

It fits though, Randa is a colleague and half crack pot to Brooks and almost an enemy to Packard, in the story itself, he means nothing to anyone, so his death is more cause for fearing your own death than mourning him. The soldiers are like family to each other and especially Packard and each loss is painful.

Unfortunately Skull Island repeats Godzilla 2014 where one of the more pivotal narrative characters is killed off in a way that ultimately makes him seem almost inconsequential, the Joe Brody of Skull Island.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:

Excuse me, but WHAT?

But that's a big problem, since Randa is the most narratively significant character to be killed off.
Yeah, thats not true. There's everyone at the boneyard, and the guy ripped apart by the leafwings on the boat, they literally just watch and move on

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Excuse me, but WHAT?

Yeah, thats not true. There's everyone at the boneyard, and the guy ripped apart by the leafwings on the boat, they literally just watch and move on
I don't really remember what the boneyard is, or what the leafwings are, so I'll just have to take your word. I guess I was just referring to the deaths of characters who had even registered as characters in the first place.

Man, most of that movie didn't make much of an impression on me...

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I agree, it didnt leave a huge impression on me, either. Kinda just blew over rather quickly, the pacing is almost non stop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I agree, it didnt leave a huge impression on me, either. Kinda just blew over rather quickly, the pacing is almost non stop
"Who is this scene about?"
"I'm not sure."
"Okay, we'll just continually cut among close-ups of every single character in the scene. Surely that will get the audience emotionally involved!"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I agree, it didnt leave a huge impression on me, either. Kinda just blew over rather quickly, the pacing is almost non stop
"Who is this scene about?"
"I'm not sure."
"Okay, we'll just continually cut among close-ups of every single character in the scene. Surely that will get the audience emotionally involved!"
Thats basically it, except for...
" hey, let's throw a couple lines of banter as they walk around, just so we can REALLY sell these guys like each other!"
I dont know, I just feel G14 had the better sense of stakes, drama, and epicness
Even though the movie was darker and shit

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Agreed 100% about the stakes and drama in G14. There's the seed of a really interesting movie in Kong: Skull Island, but that movie would have required a focus on the ideological conflict between Packard and Marlow, two characters who barely even encounter one another as it stands.

Biollante_lover
Ronin

Post by Biollante_lover »

I enjoyed it. it wasn't amazing and it definitely lacked substance. it really felt like a B-movie, but with a big budget.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I like that it was a relatively goofy kaiju movie, a nice respite from 2014 and shin
your source of self destruction

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I still feel Marlowe reuniting with his family at the very end made me feel more than the entirety of G14. G14 made me feel absolutely nothing. I will not deny KSI's faults because they are many but I will watch it again cause its at least fun. I actually didn't mind spending time with the characters in KSI cause they at least had personality as underdeveloped as they may be. After Joe's death I spent the entire rest G14 thinking "get to the damn monsters". I can gladly say I didn't do that in KSI since the pace kept the story moving briskly enough it didn't outstay it's welcome for me. I'm curious to see the deleted scenes on the bluray. Hopefully there's some more expanded character moments. At least the KSI bluray is willing to giving us that much unlike G14. I wonder what was taken out.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983