Godzilla 2014's reception in Japan

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 2014's reception in Japan

Post by Smuggers »

Underworld54 wrote: I've asked in the Japan box-office thread about how the early buzz and reactions have been and I've went ignored, maybe there is no reaction or buzz.
Or maybe we don't know because none of us are Japanese.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I believe I've heard that Hollywood films do particularly well overseas, so I'd bet that the general opinion on the movie will be positive. Homeland fans will probably come to the same conclusions as we did, because after all, we are all watching the same film.

I wonder if any localization changes will be made to film? It would be interesting to see what cuts or additions were made, if so.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Gawdziller wrote:I'm not a mod anymore
why

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

TheSecondComing wrote:
junkerde wrote:
why

Probably similar reasons as to why I'm not either. Times change, lives change, TK never changes.
you were a mod before?

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

junkerde wrote:
why
Because Godzilla 2014 is over, or so I heard. Now about that Japanese reception...

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

KJ Corp wrote:
junkerde wrote:
why
Because Godzilla 2014 is over, or so I heard. Now about that Japanese reception...
ill be getting my insider source from 2ch

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Underworld54 wrote:
Gawdziller wrote:I'm not a mod anymore, so you guys know I'm only saying this because you're really skreeonking annoying.

Shut. Up.

Seriously you guys. This place needs to have a conversation without petty skreeonking bickering over nothing. I was hoping to get insight on what public reaction to the upcoming release was, and instead I got this bullshit.
I've asked in the Japan box-office thread about how the early buzz and reactions have been and I've went ignored, maybe there is no reaction or buzz.
It's because the people over there are total douches. Don't be surprised if they're rooting against this movie.

As for my thoughts? I think it'll make about $15 million. Nothing impressive.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I read the title and I was like, "wat."

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Sano somewhat hyperbolically described the title monster as “sexy” while LiLiCo praised 24-year-old star Aaron Taylor-Johnson for marrying 47-year-old director Sam Taylor-Johnson. “It’s gives me hope,” she said.
hoo boy
In my opinion, of course.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

It's quite unfortunate that the female market has no interest in Godzilla.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That might be a reason to consider Mothra for the sequel.If I'm remembering David Kalat's book correctly, the inclusion of Little Godzilla and Mothra in the Heisei films was an overt attempt to bring in female moviegoers, and a successful one at that.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

"...when a film that was explicitly about the dangers of nuclear weapons — which was made by the only nation to be attacked by them — has its focus redirected to the very military who dropped the bomb on Japan, and even has them deploying nukes to try and defeat the monsters, well, we’ve slipped through the looking glass, Alice."
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/201 ... 9GwkC7R59h

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

From the same review as above: This reviewer shares the same sentiments as many Americans.
This “Godzilla” is 10 percent monsters, 90 percent bad acting. The most monstrous thing might be seeing Bryan Cranston, in a role as poorly written as that of Raymond Burr’s in the 1954 U.S. release of the original “Godzilla.”
So not enough Godzilla, poorly written characters, and bad acting....sounds like we've heard this complaints a lot before.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Didn't appreciate the dig at Ray Burr's character myself, but it is what it is I guess.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

HannibalBarca wrote:Didn't appreciate the dig at Ray Burr's character myself, but it is what it is I guess.
Considering how he basically existed to translate everything (I guess dubbing technology wasn't invented until after 1956, or Americans were still just uber-xenophobic fucks at the time and wanted a white man in the lead, probably the latter) and narrate what was going on onscreen, I don't think that's an entirely empty dig.

Also, I loved this part:
and this casual use of 3/11 imagery may seem in poor taste to some.
Never forget 3/11. :P

That was a pretty brief review, though. Wish it would have gone into more detail. He didn't exactly explain why Cranston's character was so poorly written (because there actually is something I will defend the movie on). But his best point is the use of nuclear weapons in the film, IMO.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Don't think you're giving KOTM enough credit, but that's an argument for another thread I suppose. The complaint about Cranston's character was a bit strange though, yeah.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

HannibalBarca wrote:
"...when a film that was explicitly about the dangers of nuclear weapons — which was made by the only nation to be attacked by them — has its focus redirected to the very military who dropped the bomb on Japan, and even has them deploying nukes to try and defeat the monsters, well, we’ve slipped through the looking glass, Alice."
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/201 ... 9GwkC7R59h
so, pretty much the complaints we've heard here already. not surprising. I just hope it gets past 500 million, which it probably will at this point at the edge

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Godzilla did really well on Friday and is headed for a OW of $5M-$6M, effectively ending Disney's 19 week stranglehold on the Japanese box-office.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Seeing as today is release day in Japan, I figure we'll be seeing plenty more reviews over the next week or so. I assume they will mirror current reviews, but still, it will be interesting.

phaz0ngoji
Interpol Agent

Post by phaz0ngoji »

[url]http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001426572[/url
While the predictable sequel has not yet been confirmed, one thing is clear: Edwards’ version of “Godzilla” remains the ultimate monster movie.

The legacy has been upheld.