Godzilla 2014's reception in Japan

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Re: Godzilla 2014's reception in Japan

Post by he-ba »

I'm very happy G did great in Japan. Some people said it was going to be a flop, but man oh man were they wrong. I'm so glad he will pass the $500,000,000 mark.

And G8GODZILLAGOD, nice signature!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

At mid-day on Sunday Godzilla is performing incredibly well and should reach $8M for the opening weekend, $50M total and a $542M total worldwide finish is very much in play now. This is insane!
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Underworld54 wrote:At mid-day on Sunday Godzilla is performing incredibly well and should reach $8M for the opening weekend, $50M total and a $542M total worldwide finish is very much in play now. This is insane!

Great :D
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Dinozaurus wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:
Wow, I knew Toho was a higher end company in Japan, but I had no idea they were that successful. Kudos to them. ;)
There's going to be an Attack on Titan live-action movie set for a 2015 date and its going to be produced by Toho. Given how popular that is in Japan right now, its going to make Toho a ton of cash.
*Screetches with pleasure*

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

So does anybody know the opening weekend result in Japan?
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

he-ba wrote:So does anybody know the opening weekend result in Japan?
The box office thread is your friend.

Carcosa
Monsterland Worker

Post by Carcosa »

Not bad! To be honest i was not expecting it to pull this much.

Btw any awesome fan art from Japan?

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

That was a very interesting read. While I respect the other viewpoints, I'm with Yuji Kaida (one of my all-time favourite artists, by the way); it's a real Godzilla movie that honours the franchise.

As for the issue of whether Godzilla is a hero or a villain...I've always seen him as neither. He's a force of nature, no more than the life-giving and life-taking ocean is a hero or a villain. That being the case, and since the team behind the 2014 film is obviously genre savvy, I imagine that relations between Godzilla and humanity might go sour in the second film. This also fits the 'superhero monomyth' story arc that many blockbuster trilogies have today; the second installment is usually when things are at their darkest (Spiderman gives up his mask, the Joker is on the loose, the Empire strikes back, etc.).

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Godzilla fell hard in Japan this weekend, finished 5th.
05 (02) ¥181 million ($1.7 million), -47%, ¥2.05 billion ($20.1 million), Godzilla (Toho) Week 3
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

ScouseGojira
GPN Volunteer

Post by ScouseGojira »

I liked that Godzilla was portrayed as a hero. Godzilla is a character that I've loved since being a very young child and some of the earliest films I watched along with Star Wars were the mid 70's Showa films. In those films he was the hero and that's what I loved, that giant monsters wanted to wreak havoc on us but we'd be OK because Godzilla will sort them out. I don't look to deep into him because at the end of the day he's a giant lizard who has atomic breath. I see this film as a dark knight interpretation of Showa Goji. That's not to say I don't appreciate the Heisei entries or the original, but I always prefer to see him portrayed as the protagonist, maybe misunderstood and destructive, but at the end of the day he's our only option.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Jomei wrote:I have to say, though, I still find it a bit inconsistent to decry this Godzilla film for not having as blatantly overt an anti-nuclear message as the first film, when virtually no Godzilla film made by Japan has done anything near that. Ditto that for the criticisms of Godzilla as something of a hero.

Exactly. This film, like most G-films, doesn't even attempt social relevance, so why critique that aspect? And with the hero thing, it's like...give me a break. Godzilla, like Batman, can be portrayed in many different ways - you'd think the Japanese would be the first to acknowledge this.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

ScouseGojira wrote: I see this film as a dark knight interpretation of Showa Goji.
He's the kaiju this city deserves, but not the one it needs right now.