The scene where G looks at Ford

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: The scene where G looks at Ford

Post by G2000 »

I'm fine with the characterization of him in this film. Do think the marketing was most definitely misleading. Still, I enjoy being able to root for him. Would have prefered for him to fight the military a bit more (destroying one or two of the ships firing at him would be enough, maybe swatting at a few helicopters)
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

It was one of those scenes that really made the general movie, and Godzilla's character for me. Like others have side, it showed that there is more to Godzilla that makes him a "character" as opposed to simply a monster in the movie.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Dorkzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Dorkzilla »

I love this scene.

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

Fighing On Fuji wrote:I didn't root for him in:

Mothra vs Godzilla
King Kong vs Godzilla
GMK

Films I rooted for him in despite the will of the screenwriters
GxMechagodzilla
Tokyo SOS
Battle for Earth
I rooting for him in GMK.
That's the point of Gojira, F HUMANS!
YOU SUCK! TAKE IT!

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

It's one of the most emotional moments of the franchise for me. The first thing that jumped at my mind when watching that scene was this:
Good thing this Goji didn't do the same with Ford. Anyway, it's this kind of scenes that show you that Godzilla is much more than just a mutant dinosaur.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Dino-Mario wrote:It's one of the most emotional moments of the franchise for me. The first thing that jumped at my mind when watching that scene was this:
http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content ... efault.jpg
Good thing this Goji didn't do the same with Ford. Anyway, it's this kind of scenes that show you that Godzilla is much more than just a mutant dinosaur.
It's a BAD thing Goji didn't do that to Ford. Also, was he really a mutant dinosaur though ;)

I need to stop...
Last edited by KJ Corp on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

KJ Corp wrote:
Dino-Mario wrote:It's one of the most emotional moments of the franchise for me. The first thing that jumped at my mind when watching that scene was this:
http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content ... efault.jpg
It's a BAD thing Goji didn't do that to Ford.
i agree. we're not supposed to identify with, or even to be able to identify with Godzilla.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Living Corpse wrote:He's a lonely creature and no one understands him. I think I can relate to that.
yup. you aren't supposed to be able to do that. he's not "one of us"; he's a monster. we need him sometimes, sure, but only because we're feeble, and we folly. humanizing him, or making him relateable, IMO removes a crucial part of the character that is Godzilla.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
three wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:He's a lonely creature and no one understands him. I think I can relate to that.
yup. you aren't supposed to be able to do that. he's not "one of us"; he's a monster. we need him sometimes, sure, but only because we're feeble, and we folly. humanizing him, or making him relateable, IMO removes a crucial part of the character that is Godzilla.
It does? Haven't some of the greatest Godzilla films presented a very relateable Godzilla? Son of Godzilla, for example?
yea, that's arguable that it's even one of the "greatest" Godzilla films.

in his best film, he was not the least bit relateable. in his worst films, he was not relateable. he was (almost never) really something you could relate to.

in fact, he was "something", but never something we really understood in the sense that we got the "truth" of what he is, but rather we understood him in what he represents. we're edging into "what he is" territory, and we're making him "one of us".

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Living Corpse wrote:I could have sworn what made Godzilla a character was little moments. We don't see it often but we see that he is a thinking animal and not some mindless apocalypse who exists soley to be a plague on humanity, he has these little moments as a big of character development so it doesn't feel like random out of the blue when he switches sides.

yea, but this took a step toward humanizing. that is not cool, not cool at all.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Saansilt wrote:Not humanizing. It took a step towards showing him as a sentient being, not just a big animal.
there was a whole lot more power in that scene to suggest it merely attempted to show him as a sentient being. we already knew he was/is one, so this was much. especially with eye contact and a brief pause.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

As for ATJ, I haven't seen his other films so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that it might have been a problem with directing or the script.
I haven't seen too many of his films either, but apparently he was only good in Nowhere Boy. He played the titular character in Kick-Ass, and those movies have the same problem as this film: The main character is the least interesting of the entire cast. The big difference being that Kick-Ass gives generous amounts of screentime to the more interesting characters, whereas this film focuses a LOT more on ATJ, and only one character in the entire film is interesting... and he dies 1/3 of the way in.

As for the first part of your post, that interpretation makes me think of this:
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i really don't see what the rant about AJT has to do with the current discussion, xeno.

Dorkzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Dorkzilla »

three wrote:
Now, I'm sure it's just improper wording....but it almost sounds as if you're telling him that he can't feel what he wants to feel.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Dorkzilla wrote:
three wrote:
Now, I'm sure it's just improper wording....but it almost sounds as if you're telling him that he can't feel what he wants to feel.
it's improper interpretation on your part.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Living Corpse wrote:So you're saying Godzilla shouldn't have character development, no small peaks into his personality, he should just be a 1 dimensional character?
not at all. i'm saying there are better ways to making his character obvious than a sentimental moment with the main character that makes him a sympathetic hero as opposed to a removed, alien, monsterous creature that he is.
Then he would just be a plot device and not a character. And what's made Godzilla last so long and stand out from other monster movies back in the 50's is that he isn't just a monster plot device, he's a thinking creature.
it's also what he represents. he's our fault. we're imperfect, he reminds us of this, and that has made him enduring, moreso than any characterization of the creature itself ever has.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Living Corpse wrote:So you're saying Godzilla shouldn't have character development, no small peaks into his personality, he should just be a 1 dimensional character?
aka: so people want godzilla to be just like ATJ?

lol

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

So, back to something a number of people said a few pages back, what if Godzilla HAD crushed ATJ?

Just like that.

Splat.

How would you've reacted?

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Vatarian wrote:So, back to something a number of people said a few pages back, what if Godzilla HAD crushed ATJ?

Just like that.

Splat.

How would you've reacted?
I wouldn't have seen it coming.... yeah.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

InstinctiveGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by InstinctiveGigan »

Like the scene or not, interpret however you want, but at the end of the day it added to Godzilla's character.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Biollante is a she. :P
My life...is a lie.
#GiganConfirmed. Spread it, embrace it, Legendary will make it. Do it now!