The scene where G looks at Ford

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Carcosa
Monsterland Worker

Re: The scene where G looks at Ford

Post by Carcosa »

Characterising is a better term imho. It shows godzilla as a being capable of thinking, accessing and understanding thus giving him a character.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Vatarian wrote:So, back to something a number of people said a few pages back, what if Godzilla HAD crushed ATJ?

Just like that.

Splat.

How would you've reacted?
I'd shrug with a little feeling of shock. Then realize how unattached to his character I was... :P

charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by charliesheenkaiju »

I think what we should be asking is what fords attitude towards Godzilla would be if the bus carrying his son didn't get out of the way. Imagine during aftermath he's all fond of Godzilla then someone breaks the news to him.

Staying on topic I do think this scene like it or not did the job of giving Godzilla more character without being obnoxious about it. Those saying they wanted Godzilla to try and crush Aaron, some of you sound like you wanted to see the Tokyo sos zilla that was basically a destructive animal without any personality (just my opinion)
Kong better not touch my drumset!

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

I actually liked the scene just the way it was. I was just curious about what others thought.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

I can relate to Godzilla.
Its why some of us love his films. Others, on the other hand, prefer a mindless brute over anything else.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

I liked this scene, it was nice to see Godzilla show a bit more of his personality, I don't know what the creators intentions were with the scene though, was Godzilla supposed to be thinking something about Ford? was Godzilla just tired and looking at him, but not really thinking anything?

Anyways I think it's pretty obvious this Godzilla is most like the Heisei Gamera, he is more intelligent, and does what needs to get done, but he's definitely the "good guy" and not a mindless human hating monster, and if people can't handle Legendaries new take on Godzilla then oh well, because this is the Godzilla we're going to have for quite awhile it seems, they are trying something a bit different with him, and I fully embrace that, actually it's going to be pretty interesting to see how he interacts with Mothra since they've almost always been enemies, I'm sure they'll probably fight a little bit, though.
Of course I would have liked to see Godzilla smash some tanks, and ships, but it was enough to show that missiles do nothing to him, unlike the poor lizard from 1998.

And TBH I saw Godzilla's new personality coming for months beforehand, because in the Godzilla encounter he walks past the window before looking in at the people and then walking away, which demonstrates this new Godzilla is more curious and intelligent, but doesn't have the same animosity towards humans that past incarnations had.

Bottom Line: Godzilla can be more than just a human smashing monster, and Legendary has no obligation to make their Godzilla conform to the fan's close minded desires for what they THINK Godzilla should be like.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

DocVape
Yojimbo

Post by DocVape »

eh....I feel like the scene wasn't needed, not the way it was executed at least, there was zero reason for him to 'connect' with Ford

It was probably my only complaint of the whole film.

Dorkzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Dorkzilla »

pikmintaro wrote:I liked this scene, it was nice to see Godzilla show a bit more of his personality, I don't know what the creators intentions were with the scene though, was Godzilla supposed to be thinking something about Ford? was Godzilla just tired and looking at him, but not really thinking anything?

Anyways I think it's pretty obvious this Godzilla is most like the Heisei Gamera, he is more intelligent, and does what needs to get done, but he's definitely the "good guy" and not a mindless human hating monster, and if people can't handle Legendaries new take on Godzilla then oh well, because this is the Godzilla we're going to have for quite awhile it seems, they are trying something a bit different with him, and I fully embrace that, actually it's going to be pretty interesting to see how he interacts with Mothra since they've almost always been enemies, I'm sure they'll probably fight a little bit, though.
Of course I would have liked to see Godzilla smash some tanks, and ships, but it was enough to show that missiles do nothing to him, unlike the poor lizard from 1998.

And TBH I saw Godzilla's new personality coming for months beforehand, because in the Godzilla encounter he walks past the window before looking in at the people and then walking away, which demonstrates this new Godzilla is more curious and intelligent, but doesn't have the same animosity towards humans that past incarnations had.

Bottom Line: Godzilla can be more than just a human smashing monster, and Legendary has no obligation to make their Godzilla conform to the fan's close minded desires for what they THINK Godzilla should be like.
Exactly.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that the scene is either supposed to just be up for interpretation, or that it's meant to be from Ford's perspective more so than Godzilla's.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

funny how they made godzilla show more emotion and more human than ATJ

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

junkerde wrote:funny how they made godzilla show more emotion and more human than ATJ
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

SaiyanRider54
Interpol Agent

Post by SaiyanRider54 »

I like this scene. It reminds me when I'm laying on the ground and I stare at a tiny spider as it crawls by, remembering that there's a whole different world by my feet. I think that's what they were trying to convey in this scene. That, to nature as a whole, we're the ants.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

It made me wonder if Godzilla realized there was a sentient being staring at him down there.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

three wrote:
KJ Corp wrote: It's a BAD thing Goji didn't do that to Ford.
i agree. we're not supposed to identify with, or even to be able to identify with Godzilla.
We're supposed to identify with him, though; the point of the franchise was to raise awareness of the horrors of nuclear war, and it's consequences on life. Godzilla is as much a victim of man as man is a victim of Godzilla. If we're not supposed to identify with Godzilla, then we don't make him a sympathetic character; you make him a generic plot element for money shots if you want a unrelatable Godzilla. The '98 movie is an unrelatable Godzilla; it tries to make him relatable, but fails on many aspects and only uses the character for money shots.
And that's not why Godzilla exists, he exists as a testament to the Atomic Age, to mankind's folly and to prove how man has no power over nature, no matter if it's an earthquake, a typhoon or a Godzilla.
Making Godzilla an unrelatable thing removes what makes Godzilla such a interesting character and reduces him to a prop for action scenes or destruction scenes, and people got on '98's ass for such things. :/

If you wanna make Godzilla an irredeemable Death Bringer of Super Radioactivity with no morality, then you're missing the point of the franchise, and of why Godzilla even exists. Hell, even in GMK Godzilla is given a sympathetic aspect, so saying we shouldn't identify with Godzilla when he was designed with the intent of garnering sympathy is just being ridiculous.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Jiragozira14 wrote:
three wrote:
KJ Corp wrote: It's a BAD thing Goji didn't do that to Ford.
i agree. we're not supposed to identify with, or even to be able to identify with Godzilla.
We're supposed to identify with him, though; the point of the franchise was to raise awareness of the horrors of nuclear war, and it's consequences on life. Godzilla is as much a victim of man as man is a victim of Godzilla. If we're not supposed to identify with Godzilla, then we don't make him a sympathetic character; you make him a generic plot element for money shots if you want a unrelatable Godzilla. The '98 movie is an unrelatable Godzilla; it tries to make him relatable, but fails on many aspects and only uses the character for money shots.
And that's not why Godzilla exists, he exists as a testament to the Atomic Age, to mankind's folly and to prove how man has no power over nature, no matter if it's an earthquake, a typhoon or a Godzilla.
Making Godzilla an unrelatable thing removes what makes Godzilla such a interesting character and reduces him to a prop for action scenes or destruction scenes, and people got on '98's ass for such things. :/

If you wanna make Godzilla an irredeemable Death Bringer of Super Radioactivity with no morality, then you're missing the point of the franchise, and of why Godzilla even exists. Hell, even in GMK Godzilla is given a sympathetic aspect, so saying we shouldn't identify with Godzilla when he was designed with the intent of garnering sympathy is just being ridiculous.
i disagree. one of the most moving and powerful scenes in the history of the franchise is the death of Shindo in G vs. KG, when he blasts him with his breath after a brief stare down. that's an unrelatable monster that mankind is responsible for, that's the impact man has on nature when he isn't caucitious, it does not bother to sympathise, it cannot empathise, it can only cause us many times the harm and destruction we wrought upon it.

that guy tried to connect and relate to Godzilla, and Godzilla annihilated him. that is, IMO, what Godzilla is. he's not our friend; he saves us by chance. they dropped a huge opportunity to show that in this film. i do not like the more heroic and gentle angle on him.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ This 100%. Nicely written mate. Godzilla isn't supposed to be a sympathetic victim, he's the product of man's arrogance and ignorance mixed in with nature's wrath, to give us the horrible abomination that we know and love. Godzilla is a rage-filled, and vengeful beast that is essentially a living death, and has a hatred for humanity that nothing else can match. Fuck with nature, and it sends out an agent of destruction, chaos, and misery to burn your world down and humble you.

THAT'S why Godzilla is such an interesting character, and is one of the main reasons why he is so adored and has lasted so long.

#BotM

steven
Monarch Researcher

Post by steven »

he should of ate ford

looks at godzilla

Godzilla scoots a bit forward and consumes him whole

godzilla: yum, yum

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Godzilla165 wrote:^ This 100%. Nicely written mate. Godzilla isn't supposed to be a sympathetic victim, he's the product of man's arrogance and ignorance mixed in with nature's wrath, to give us the horrible abomination that we know and love. Godzilla is a rage-filled, and vengeful beast that is essentially a living death, and has a hatred for humanity that nothing else can match. Fuck with nature, and it sends out an agent of destruction, chaos, and misery to burn your world down and humble you.

THAT'S why Godzilla is such an interesting character, and is one of the main reasons why he is so adored and has lasted so long.
I was going to respond to Jiragozira14's post with a "What?" post when I first saw it last night, but I'm glad this has been addressed.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

ScrumpBump
Monarch Researcher

Post by ScrumpBump »

Godzilla can be both.

Hell, in the '54 film, Godzilla was both. Most of his screentime was him being a walking, silent monolith of destruction. However, in his final scene, Godzilla is seen in a more tragic and sympathetic light. His death isn't even celebrated, it's a fairly somber affair, all things considered.

From there, it does vary from film to film. In some films he's more sympathetic then others.
Or in the case of GMK Godzilla, none what so ever.

Long story short, seeing Godzilla as a sympathetic force of nature is pretty valid.
Mistakes "Quote" for "Edit" more often then he wishes to admit .
“People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty.”

Kaiju Claws
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Kaiju Claws »

Indeed Scrump. To me, the scene with Shindo seems to bridge the dual nature of Godzilla almost perfectly.

Approaching the window, Godzilla sees the man who he once fought for (inadvertently though it may have been) and he can see the regret that he feels on his face. Shindo seems to want him to know that he is thankful for his (Godzilla's) protection all those years ago. Looking at him, Godzilla too seems to recall something as he pauses his destruction and slowly closes his eyes. Perhaps he remembers their heartfelt tribute to him as he lay wounded on the island? After all, Shindo never forgot his sacrifice. But then he comes back to himself, and he remembers what man has done to him, and in his wrath kills Shindo, demolishing the skyscraper in the process.

It seems clear to me that there is more to this scene than meets the eye. Shindo spends his time in the film regarding Godzilla as his savior on the island, going so far as to attempt to revive Godzilla when things look bleak in Japan. And as a viewer, Shindo's faith in Godzilla has always struck a chord in me. Even when he is destroying the city, Shindo still believes in him and even accepts his fate at the monster's hands. It is a very powerful scene, where a man nearly makes contact with a force much greater than him only to fall short.

What makes it so interesting though is that even Godzilla participates in their interaction, though this is not the first time that we have seen this happen.

In Biollante for example, Godzilla has a brief look at Gondo before having the ANEB fired into his mouth. However, the scene with Shindo in KG is not in the same vein as this. With Gondo, he seems almost curious, quietly leaning in to examine him before destroying the building in response to being attacked. With Shindo, Godzilla seems almost reflective, as he slowly closes his eyes when they finally meet again. This is different. Instead of just destroying the building or ignoring him, they share a moment together. Godzilla certainly has some reaction to seeing Shindo (How many times in the series has Godzilla, upon looking at a human, held his gaze and slowly closed his eyes?) before destroying the building. From my perspective, that doesn't seem cold blooded or heartless per say. It seems to indicate that what Godzilla does is in response to what we did to him, that he is a victim too. Though he remembers Shindo, he cannot let it stop him from doing what he must. As Final Wars points out (if I may pull from it to support myself here), he must forgive, but clearly he cannot.

Many monsters in fiction are mindless creatures that destroy. It is in this regard that Godzilla has always (to my mind) trumped them, as he has a soul. As Dr. Hayashida says in Godzilla 1985 "The beast has a purpose". Though he achieves/expresses it through destruction, there is more to Godzilla than that. He is also a victim of mankind's arrogance, but unlike most victims portrayed in fiction, he has the strength to avenge himself. Being strong makes him no less of a victim of the horrors of atomic warfare than anyone else. In my opinion, it is this that makes him the ultimate example of the wrathful force of nature. The Earth does not know it has been wronged, so the storm rages as it would. Godzilla does, and so he vents his wrath on it's source.
Dungeon Master of the D20 Section

"As long as the arrogance of mankind exists, Godzilla will survive."
- Tomoyuki Tanaka

GhidoGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GhidoGoji »

Man, this is some powerful stuff. I just thought it was a cheesy scene they threw in as a desperate attempt to convince you that there was the slightest possible chance of Godzilla dying in the movie.
MandaSaurus wrote:@Maritonic: No, most people's aren't. But I have an eye for detail that few here can match. I've been collecting longer than most of you have been alive. I'm also nearsighted, which means that I see things up close CRYSTAL-clear, which means I can point out details & differences like the guy who sculpted the item. So, forgive me if there's only a handful of folks in these forums whose opinion I put on a par with MINE...