Not clear enough on why G needs to kill the MUTOs

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Re: Not clear enough on why G needs to kill the MUTOs

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Godzilla165 wrote:I'll tell you peeps something I really actually appreciated about Godzilla's fight with the male Muto, is that it perfectly embodied the sheer frustration and anger one might feel when trying to swat a particularly persistent wasp. We know that the Big G can crush its goddamn shit in if it would just stop flying around and hit-and-running, but it's just so quick and fast and annoying, argh.

But then, in that final moment where Godzilla finally gets the drop on the fucker, it's like a literal gasp of relief. Yes, we realise, at last, the wasp has been swatted, no longer will it buzz and pester and sting us!
And then a building falls on us. Just like it did for Godzilla.
We've all been there!
:lol: ;)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So, I just rewatched Godzilla, and I think I can put an end to the "Was that skeleton the remains of another Godzilla" discussion.

When they go down there in the mines, Vivienne comes up behind Serizawa asking "Is it him?! Is it him?!", which Serizawa responds with, "No, this is much older."
Meaning, no this is NOT the Godzilla from 1954, it doesn't necessarily mean, no this isn't from the same species.

Then on the ship, as Serizawa is showing the 1954 footage, you see a diagram of Godzilla's skeleton, then Serizawa tells Ford about the skeleton they found, saying, "we found another, like Gojira.".
Now tell me something, how would they be able to have a full diagram of Godzilla's skeleton if they didn't have something to go by? That right there tells you that the skeleton they found obviously belonged to a species of Godzilla.

So no, it never comes out and says "WE FOUND A GODZILLA SKELETON IN THE MINES A LONG TIME AGO!". But it is heavily implied that what they found was in fact remnants of Godzilla's species.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:I'll tell you peeps something I really actually appreciated about Godzilla's fight with the male Muto, is that it perfectly embodied the sheer frustration and anger one might feel when trying to swat a particularly persistent wasp. We know that the Big G can crush its goddamn shit in if it would just stop flying around and hit-and-running, but it's just so quick and fast and annoying, argh.

But then, in that final moment where Godzilla finally gets the drop on the skreeonker, it's like a literal gasp of relief. Yes, we realise, at last, the wasp has been swatted, no longer will it buzz and pester and sting us!
And then a building falls on us. Just like it did for Godzilla.
We've all been there!
:lol: ;)
But instead of a building, it's a big ass tree.

#BotM

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
KJ Corp wrote:Can we find an example of a non-mammal doing this find-kill-leave? Just curious, cause all we've got is lions and wolves when we're dealing with lizards :P
Godzilla is not a lizard or a reptile!

Regarding find-kill-leave, It's all over the globe, we should change the name of the earth to "Murderball."

You don't see it on Animal Planet so much because it's not great for ratings.

Many species of birds routinely attack each other on sight, and they certainly won't let any chicks they discover live.
Godzilla not a reptile!? Regarding that in this universe he is a real creature, if he's not a reptile then what the fuck is he?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

He's trying to kill them because of a traditional folk song that is par of a game. Its called "That's my horse". You hit the other guy with increasing ferocity util one cannot fight back while suggesting "that's my horse" even if one is not present.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
KJ Corp wrote: Godzilla not a reptile!? Regarding that in this universe he is a real creature, if he's not a reptile then what the skreeonk is he?
Godzilla is a mutated Godzillasaurus, a type of fictional dinosaur. Dinosaurs were not reptiles.

In the legendary series, there is no indication whatsoever that Godzilla was mutated by the atomic blasts he withstood.

On the contrary, dialogue throughout the movie and a prequel comic indicate he was part of a pre-existing species.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

I never once in my post asserted he was any one animal-type.

But if I had to pick, I'd say amphibian.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:Dinosaurs were not reptiles.
I'm pretty sure that Dinosauria is still considered a clade in the taxonomical class Reptilia. Did I miss a memo?!

The new consideration that birds are usually considered living theropod dinosaurs might be a wrench in the system (the reason, as I understand it, that birds are now usually under the clade Avialae rather than the class Aves), but as I understand no one is not considering dinosaurs to be reptiles.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Post by Palaeogirl »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Vatarian wrote: In the legendary series, there is no indication whatsoever that Godzilla was mutated by the atomic blasts he withstood.

On the contrary, dialogue throughout the movie and a prequel comic indicate he was part of a pre-existing species.
Taking the Legendary series on its own with none of Godzilla's prior 60-year history, he's still not a reptile, in spite of his features.

Indicators-

1. Gills.
2. Eyes.
3. Expressiveness.
4. Gait.
5. Activity level.
Godzilla is absolutely a reptile, just a highly derived one. The gills are the only thing here that would mean he absolutely can't be a reptile. Dinosaurs (including birds) are still considered part of Reptilia (actually Sauropsida but that's just the new name for Reptilia) and are both extremely active and had an erect gait. I'm not sure what about his eyes wouldn't allow him to be a sauropsid and the expressiveness doesn't have any merit on whether or not he'd be one. He's definitely a reptile and probably an archosaur of some sort.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

According to the graphic novel Godzillas species was alive during the Permian era. He (or a member of his species) are shown right when the asteroid hits the planet (which caused the end of the era in this time line). Dinosaurs were not around during this time so Godzilla cant be a dinosaur since they didn't exist yet. It's possible Godzilla was a Synapsid (mammal like reptile) but it is also possible that he may have been part of a completely different branch of the reptile family tree.

Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Post by Palaeogirl »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Palaeogirl wrote: Godzilla is absolutely a reptile, just a highly derived one. The gills are the only thing here that would mean he absolutely can't be a reptile.
No reptile has gills, but Godzilla does.
Dinosaurs (including birds) are still considered part of Reptilia (actually Sauropsida but that's just the new name for Reptilia) and are both extremely active and had an erect gait.
They may be a member, but they are not reptiles.
I'm not sure what about his eyes wouldn't allow him to be a sauropsid and the expressiveness doesn't have any merit on whether or not he'd be one.

It's a factor because reptiles aren't capable of expression, and Godzilla is. And his eyes are not reptilian.
He's definitely a reptile and probably an archosaur of some sort.
He may have reptilian features, but he also has features that preclude him from being a reptile (gills, obviously not ectothermic, upright gait, expressive face).
That isn't how classification works. You don't get put into a group because you have or lack certain traits. It's all about evolutionary relationships. Warm blooded archosaurs like dinosaurs (birds included) and pterosaurs are still under the crown group of Sauropsida. Reptilia isn't used anymore because it doesn't have any descriptive qualities, it's an unnatural group that excludes things that should be part of it.

By the same logic the green-blooded skink isn't a reptile because it has green blood when other's don't. Traits don't factor into relationship like we used to think they did. Echidnas, for example, aren't fully warm blooded. They also have sprawling limbs, are not at all expressive (most mammals aren't), lay eggs, and have beady eyes that aren't the average for mammals yet they are still mammals.

I'm not sure what you mean by reptilian eyes, by the way.
Eyes are extremely variable in sauropsids, even moreso than mammals which all have a pretty uniform eye design. Some of them don't even have eyes at all. That aside though, if we discovered a new group of lizards that had the required facial muscles to be as expressive as primates it'd still be a reptile. It's about ancestry rather than traits.

Basically, you're everything that your ancestors were as well as what you currently are. Saying that dinosaurs (birds included once again) aren't sauropsids/reptiles is like saying that whales or bats can't be mammals because they're too different. We're still grouped as mammals even though the first mammals probably weren't fully warm blooded, still layed eggs, had only partially erect limbs, likely retained more lizard-like lips, and a number of other traits you wouldn't consider mammalian.

Since he is supposed to be a Permian relic species I'd wager he's a primitive archosaur of some sort. I'd even go as far as to say that he's a highly derived rausuchian but that'd push his origin a little later in time to the Triassic. He's definitely not a dinosaur.

InstinctiveGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by InstinctiveGigan »

Didn't the toy description say he was amphibious? Seeing how Godzilla is fictional, however, I could say he's a whale-dinosaur-reptilian-amphimbian and it would be correct.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Biollante is a she. :P
My life...is a lie.
#GiganConfirmed. Spread it, embrace it, Legendary will make it. Do it now!

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Godzilla has scales. Godzilla has a archosaur-like body-structure, gills, and pronounced dorsal-plates.

Combined traits of lizard and fishae.

Seems like a pretty textbook case of mothertrucking amphibian to me.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I'll just settle this by saying that Godzilla... Is simply fucking Godzilla; He may be loosely based off of several different creatures, but in the end it will never be a specific type/species, not counting the Heisei era. Hell, he looks like a bloody grizzly bear for fuck's sake.

#BotM

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i've always considered Godzilla an amphibian. reptile is a bit of a stretch because we've got it established he's more water - lover than landlover.

for those wondering, you can have amphibious reptiles, like crocodiles, so it's not like he has to be one or the other and they're both mutually exclusive. but yea, nothing has ever convinced me he was reptilian under any circumstance. he's really unnatural and his anatomy/lifestyle lead me to feel he's along the lines of a salamander as opposed to a lizard.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

three
Keizer

Post by three »

that's cool info, but i was calling them "amphibious", as in they are present in the water and on land/prefer both/whatever you wanna say. so to clarify: i'm not calling them "amphibians" but "amphibious", which they are.

Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Post by Palaeogirl »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Palaeogirl wrote: That isn't how classification works. You don't get put into a group because you have or lack certain traits. It's all about evolutionary relationships. Warm blooded archosaurs like dinosaurs (birds included) and pterosaurs are still under the crown group of Sauropsida. Reptilia isn't used anymore because it doesn't have any descriptive qualities, it's an unnatural group that excludes things that should be part of it.

By the same logic the green-blooded skink isn't a reptile because it has green blood when other's don't. Traits don't factor into relationship like we used to think they did. Echidnas, for example, aren't fully warm blooded. They also have sprawling limbs, are not at all expressive (most mammals aren't), lay eggs, and have beady eyes that aren't the average for mammals yet they are still mammals.

Eyes are extremely variable in sauropsids, even moreso than mammals which all have a pretty uniform eye design. Some of them don't even have eyes at all. That aside though, if we discovered a new group of lizards that had the required facial muscles to be as expressive as primates it'd still be a reptile. It's about ancestry rather than traits.

Basically, you're everything that your ancestors were as well as what you currently are. Saying that dinosaurs (birds included once again) aren't sauropsids/reptiles is like saying that whales or bats can't be mammals because they're too different. We're still grouped as mammals even though the first mammals probably weren't fully warm blooded, still layed eggs, had only partially erect limbs, likely retained more lizard-like lips, and a number of other traits you wouldn't consider mammalian.

Since he is supposed to be a Permian relic species I'd wager he's a primitive archosaur of some sort. I'd even go as far as to say that he's a highly derived rausuchian but that'd push his origin a little later in time to the Triassic. He's definitely not a dinosaur.
Fine, if birds are reptiles, by that same logic, so are we. We are all reptiles, as we are all what our ancestors were as well as what we currently are.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/sca ... achete.jpg
Another set of reptilian eyes. Note the lack of expression, like all reptiles.

Can't argue with that!

Onward, through the fog... can we agree that Godzilla is not a lizard?
We aren't reptiles because our ancestors weren't reptiles. We're synapsids. The old term mammal-like reptile has been abandoned since it was inaccurate. We share a common ancestor with sauropsids but didn't evolve from any ourselves. Basically amniotes hit a fork in their evolution some time during the Carboniferious where the synapsids went one way and sauropsids became the other. Our ancestors would never be considered reptiles but dinosaurs would be considered reptiles since they evolved from sauropsid ancestors. In all honesty though using sauropsid instead of reptile is better for understanding because reptile has a connotation of slow and cold blooded when they all pretty clearly aren't cold blooded.
Everything on the synapsid side of the graph is a synapsid and not a sauropsid/reptile. The sauropsid branch of the graph contains all the sauropsids and therefore everything that'd be considered a reptile. Since birds do fall under the sauropsid side of the graph they are sauropsids themselves. Since we don't have any true reptile ancestors we aren't considered reptiles. We are reptillomorphs (which sauropsids are too) but not reptiles/sauropsids ourselves.

I think your problem with the new classification system is how much has changed since the old days of Aves, Mammalia, Reptilia, and Amphibia being seperate. Now you don't have awkward situations like "Is Archaeopteryx a bird or reptile". It doesn't have to be one or the other, you're your entire evolutionary history. Groups lead into other groups, some branch out into different directions and don't share ancestry unless you go back far enough. Lots of things that were considered to be amphibians (early tetrapods like Icthyostega) aren't amphibians. Amphibians now refers specifically to animals more closely related to modern salamanders than to any other animals. Crocodiles, being sauropsids, are reptiles. That's why they cannot be considered amphibians but they are amphibious. We don't have amphibian ancestors so we aren't considered amphibians. We are tetrapods. Amphibians split off from tetrapods pretty early into tetrapod history. We descended from tetrapods that did not become amphibians.

No need to be snarky about it, it's just the way things are done now. For clarification and for an example, Homo sapiens is classified (I'm simplifying a bit) as follows.
Animalia
Chordata
Vertebrata
Teleostomi
Tetrapoda
Reptillomorpha
Amniota
Synapsida
Mammalia
Placentalia
Primates
Hominoidea
Hominidae
Hominini
Homo
sapiens

This means we are animals, chordates, vertebrates, teleostomes, tetrapods, reptillomorphs, amniotes, synapsids, mammals, placental mammals, primates, hominoids, hominids, hominins, and Homo sapiens.

Like I said before, it isn't about physical traits. True relationships are about evolutionary history, not what you currently look like.

I could see him being an extremely derived amphibian of some sort but I feel like archosaur is just more likely overall. He is obviously amphibious, though, but probably not an amphibian.

In all serious though I doubt they were thinking of him as though he actually fit somewhere in the tree of life. Kaiju relationships are hard to narrow down since they have a number of traits normally only found in some groups. Heisei Godzilla's mammal-like ears come to mind.

But yeah he totally isn't a lizard.
Last edited by Palaeogirl on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

That isn't how classification works. You don't get put into a group because you have or lack certain traits. It's all about evolutionary relationships. Warm blooded archosaurs like dinosaurs (birds included) and pterosaurs are still under the crown group of Sauropsida. Reptilia isn't used anymore because it doesn't have any descriptive qualities, it's an unnatural group that excludes things that should be part of it.

We aren't reptiles because our ancestors weren't reptiles. We're synapsids. The old term mammal-like reptile has been abandoned since it was inaccurate. We share a common ancestor with sauropsids but didn't evolve from any ourselves. Basically amniotes hit a fork in their evolution some time during the Carboniferious where the synapsids went one way and sauropsids became the other. Our ancestors would never be considered reptiles but dinosaurs would be considered reptiles since they evolved from sauropsid ancestors. In all honesty though using sauropsid instead of reptile is better for understanding because reptile has a connotation of slow and cold blooded when they all pretty clearly aren't cold blooded.
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/bsci392 ... apsida.jpg
Everything on the synapsid side of the graph is a synapsid and not a sauropsid/reptile. The sauropsid branch of the graph contains all the sauropsids and therefore everything that'd be considered a reptile. Since birds do fall under the sauropsid side of the graph they are sauropsids themselves. Since we don't have any true reptile ancestors we aren't considered reptiles. We are reptillomorphs, along with the sauropsids, but not reptiles.

I think your problem with the new classification system is how much has changed since the old days of Aves, Mammalia, Reptilia, and Amphibia being seperate. Now you don't have awkward situations like "Is Archaeopteryx a bird or reptile". It doesn't have to be one or the other, you're your entire evolutionary history. Groups lead into other groups, some branch out into different directions and don't share ancestry unless you go back far enough. Lots of things that were considered to be amphibians (early tetrapods like Icthyostega) aren't amphibians. Amphibians now refers specifically to animals more closely related to modern salamanders than to any other animals. Crocodiles, being sauropsids, are reptiles. That's why they cannot be considered amphibians but they are amphibious. We don't have amphibian ancestors so we aren't considered amphibians. We are tetrapods. Amphibians split off from tetrapods pretty early into tetrapod history. We descended from tetrapods that did not become amphibians.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tet ... 2-tiny.jpg

No need to be snarky about it, it's just the way things are done now. For clarification and for an example, Homo sapiens is classified (I'm simplifying a bit) as follows.
Animalia
Chordata
Vertebrata
Teleostomi
Tetrapoda
Reptillomorpha
Amniota
Synapsida
Mammalia
Placentalia
Primates
Hominoidea
Hominidae
Hominini
Homo
sapiens

This means we are animals, chordates, vertebrates, teleostomes, tetrapods, reptillomorphs, amniotes, synapsids, mammals, placental mammals, primates, hominoids, hominids, hominins, and Homo sapiens.

Like I said before, it isn't about physical traits. True relationships are about evolutionary history, not what you currently look like.

I could see him being an extremely derived amphibian of some sort but I feel like archosaur is just more likely overall. He is obviously amphibious, though, but probably not an amphibian.

In all serious though I doubt they were thinking of him as though he actually fit somewhere in the tree of life. Kaiju relationships are hard to narrow down since they have a number of traits normally only found in some groups. Heisei Godzilla's mammal-like ears come to mind.

But yeah he totally isn't a lizard.
Although I find the thought of debating the evolutionary biology of a fictional atomic beam firing kaiju to be ridiculous, as someone who loves evolutionary biology when I am goofing off, I commend your posts.

Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Post by Palaeogirl »

Whenever I'm not doing real science I spend most of my time watching kaiju films, and eventually my work leaks into my hobbies and I end up working out entirely evolutionary histories of kaiju! Speculative biology is really fun!

The real question here is what the hell the MUTO's are...

Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Post by Palaeogirl »

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you on that. They're probably my second favorite kaiju, I like Godzilla more from a design standpoint and that's why he's my favorite. Godzilla is my favorite kaiju, MUTO's being second, and then Ghidorah being third.

I seriously doubt they're supposed to be anything recognizable though so there's no real point trying to figure out what they are. They're even harder to pinpoint than the platypus. At least we know that a platypus is a mammal, just a part of a more primitive (not in a bad sense, by the way. Primitive in biology doesn't mean worse than advanced, just closer to the ancestral state) group of mammals. The MUTOs don't fit anywhere in the tree of life. They're a totally new group; completely seperate from all the ones we've identified in the real world.
Last edited by Palaeogirl on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.