Hero to Anti-Hero/Villain

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Re: Hero to Anti-Hero/Villain

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Living Corpse wrote:Gotta love how we're only focusing on a part of my posts and ignoring the part about learning more about him like new powers such as Nuclear Pulse ALA Gamera trilogy.
Nuclear pulse for the second film and the red spiral ray for the third?
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Living Corpse wrote:Heck even new powers for this version. Why not? He already has gills and armor, two things non of the past versions have ever had.
Didn't think about that. New powers for Godzilla would be a tricky thing to create while still making it work with the character and it not being too over the top.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I'd like to see a nuclear pulse at some point. Even if it has just something subtle that pushed a foe back a bit if G were to become overwhelmed.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Living Corpse wrote: I'm sure it can be done.
Oh it probably can. I'm just saying it'll be tricky.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Basically they should take the Gamera 3 route by the last film.

Zillamon51
GPN Volunteer

Post by Zillamon51 »

LegendZilla wrote:Basically they should take the Gamera 3 route by the last film.
Yeah, let's take our new American franchise, which already has a lot of similarities to Gamera, and intentionally make it a rip-off of Gamera. :roll:
Living Corpse wrote:Heck even new powers for this version. Why not? He already has gills and armor, two things non of the past versions have ever had.
Isn't that something that people don't like about the Heisei Gameras? That he invents new powers on the fly? Besides, this new 'grounded in reality' series shouldn't devolve into Heisei Toho beam-wars.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I would be pleased if he went from hero to anti-hero, but I don't think an entire "turncoat" would go over well.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I wouldn't mind different levels of his nuclear breath (including a spiral-beam version), but personally I wouldn't want it red. Blue all the way for me. It's probably just my fanboyism showing, but I never liked it when his breath was any color than blue; I know, I know, it really doesn't matter but it just always felt wrong to me. He's breath should be blue, damn it! :lol: But, like I said, that my just be me.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Living Corpse wrote:Maybe you should think about that before getting hostile over fan speculation.
:-x
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Fighing On Fuji
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fighing On Fuji »

This Godzilla is kind of like Wario. He saves the day, but only because he's helping himself. However murky and unspecified I may claim his reasons are for going after the MUTOs, it seems pretty much agreeable that he isn't doing it to save us. He dives under the aircraft carriers for the same reason we steer clear of water plants when we're on a canoe. He bashes through the bridge like a bear pushing through a group of saplings amid a swarm of bees. I love this "selfish" take on Godzilla, and whether he gets prompted to attack humans or not should be determined by the military's course of action.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

As I said before, I want him to remain as he is throughout the films-not a hero, not a villan, sort of an anti-hero, but not quite. We are insignificant to him. He kills hundreds of people just by surfacing, but not because he wants to-just because he doesn't really care. He avoids confrontation with us, but only because our weapons annoy him. He doesnt actively kill and destroy, but only because he has better things to do, and he isnt a sadist. He might view us as a human looks at an anthill-interesting, even kind of sympathetic, but if he accidentally kills a few, who gives a shit? This still makes the military consider him a threat, as like it or not, simply him existing will cause deaths. The development arc may be him learning to trust us more and more and us learning to coexist with him. As I have said before, I'd save the actively hunting and murdering humans for the enemy monsters.

That said, I would love for Legendary to bring back some old powers, even maybe create a few of their own. I'd like to see the nuclear pulse make a comeback-just think of it: he's pinned down by the enemy monster, the audience thinks all hope is lost, and then his fins begin to glow. Soon, his skin and eyes are glowing, too. Suddenly, he lets out a gigantic burst of energy, leveling everything within a mile or so's radius, killing the enemy monster, and creating a mushroom cloud.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Post by DarkLord »

As an alleged force of nature, I would certainly endorse a more threatening and aggressive Godzilla. Depicting him as a merciless force of destruction wouldn't be making him inherently evil, it would simply personify Gareth Edwards' description of him as 'the punishment we deserve.' Earthquakes, tornadoes and tsunamis are not evil, they just are... and great destruction and death, are unfortunate by products of their existence. They are merciless, remorseless and unstoppable. This is precisely how I would like to see Godzilla portrayed in the sequels.
I also want to see him actively engage the military forces at some point and teaching them that only he is lord and master of this planet!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

DarkLord wrote: I also want to see him actively engage the military forces at some point and teaching them that only he is lord and master of this planet!
yea. i was not a fan of the passive resistance he was shown dishing out toward our navy. we should have seen them totally leveled.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I walked out of Godzilla for the first time. I hope especially that the relationship between Serizawa and Godzilla is developed, with Serizawa slowly realizing that Godzilla is too dangerous and destructive to coexist with humanity, and being forced to kill him (with the Oxygen Destroyer?). I'm not saying Godzilla should go full '54 or GMK, though I love those personas; I'm saying there should be a transformation that fits with his character, most likely as a result of some atrocity humans commit.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw