So, Let's Talk About the Use of Kids in This Film

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Re: So, Let's Talk About the Use of Kids in This Film

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Living Corpse wrote:
Dorkzilla wrote:I'm beginning to wish that the Comic Con trailer didn't leak at all more and more.
It was pretty much selling a different movie.

Just advertize the movie as a vs. movie. People would have gone and seen it.

Most people don't know that Godzilla was originally a nuclear metaphor or that the first film took itself very serious. Most people only know Godzilla as that monster who smashes Tokyo and fights other monsters and is sometimes a good guy, sometimes a bad guy. What was the point of comparing this movie to G1954 when the two couldn't be more different than night and day? To get fans to see it as well? We were gonna see it no matter what, be it another movie with the same tone as G1985 or another Vs. Movie. We're fans. All that comparison with 1954 did was give us an extra negative to list on an otherwise fun film.
Yep, all it did is just leave a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth when I watch it.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Living Corpse wrote:^ I shouldn't have to see a film twice to enjoy it more than the first viewing, but I did cause my first viewing was soured. I kept going "oh it's a Vs. Movie. Well why didn't you advertize it as such? I was gonna go see it anyways. And so would general audiences, they don't know Godzilla's history like fans do. You know this movie is fun, and I mean it, it really is fun but I'd enjoy myself more if I didn't have 1954 constantly looming over the back of my head."
Yeah, I enjoy the film, but when I watch it there will always be "what could've been" after everything we've heard about it.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Plus I would call out Gareth Edwards as being a liar when pertaining to his choice of Godzilla 1954 being his favorite of the franchise. I truly believe he just threw that out there or LP handed him that choice whenever the question arises of which film is his fav. Why I make such a conclusion? Its because of his lack of knowledge behind it. In the Roar featurette he stated that Godzilla's roar in the first film is just one tonation repeated over and over throughout the whole movie. On top of that he never elaborated on why the original is his favorite. I remember how many were questioning his fanboy status toward Godzilla and I think he played a lot of people who thought he was one of us. Truth is I believe Edwards was lucky to get this shot at Godzilla and congratulate him on a good job. But this was nothing like Godzilla's predecessor in terms of direction. Godzilla would never resist counterattacking the military upon being attacked. Especially in 1954.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

But Gareth and Borenstein did give some pretty misleading soundbites out about how Godzilla would be "the punishment we deserve," and talked about how the movie would be a spiritual successor to G'54, that sort of thing.
In my opinion, of course.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

The kids in this film were the best kind of child characters; the ones who keep their damn mouths shut, aren't stupidly precocious, and don't ruin the film with their whiny high pitched voices.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Variola wrote:The kids in this film were the best kind of child characters; the ones who keep their damn mouths shut, aren't stupidly precocious, and don't ruin the film with their whiny high pitched voices.
I can't argue with this.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Godnose
Samurai

Post by Godnose »

Variola wrote:The kids in this film were the best kind of child characters; the ones who keep their damn mouths shut, aren't stupidly precocious, and don't ruin the film with their whiny high pitched voices.
This x100

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Living Corpse wrote:I think in trying to separate this Godzilla from G 98 (fuck we still can't go without that thing coming up) to assure fans this is really Godzilla they got carried away.
I hadn't really considered that as a reason for the mood swing in tones before, but I think you're on to something there. As you said, we fans would have seen this no matter what; unless we thought we'd be getting Zilla 2.0. So, maybe in the long run the mismarking was seen as a calculated risk to keep fan's fears assuaged?
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Probably true. The misleading comments about the tone of the film were, for fans, the equivalent of putting Bryan Cranston front and center in the trailers for mainstream audiences. Both were deliberately misleading, and both obviously worked to perfection if thr opening weekend numbers are anything to go by.

Dorkzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Dorkzilla »

...he's back.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

And suddenly this turned into a "Bash Gareth Edwards" thread....
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Gareth Edwards did a phenomenal job with the movie's cinematography, and I'm somewhat convinced that the whole movie would probably have fallen apart if a less capable person had been sitting in the director's chair. The point I was making is that he was part of what I am left to presume was a very cynical and finely tuned marketing machine for this movie that did a fantastic job of selling a product that was, in many ways, substantially different from the one we received.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Living Corpse wrote: PLOT TWIST! One that takes 2 films to see and a third to see conclude!
But, dude, that can't be it, because they straight up said that they didn't make this film with sequels in mind. That's why the movie totally doesn't end with the door open for sequels.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Mr. Xeno wrote:
Living Corpse wrote: PLOT TWIST! One that takes 2 films to see and a third to see conclude!
But, dude, that can't be it, because they straight up said that they didn't make this film with sequels in mind. That's why the movie totally doesn't end with the door open for sequels.
I'm pretty sure they said it more as they didn't make this film with the design to have it followed by others, it can leave room for more (which it did) and they certainly could have a basic plan. The only things I remember reading were talking more along the lines of cliffhangers and such. Nothing about basic series wide story arcs within self-contained movies.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Tyler wrote:I read an interesting post somewhere that the movie is basically about parents and their children.

- Joe and Sandra have Ford
- Ford and Elle have Sam
- Serizawa and Graham have Godzilla, in a way
- And the MUTOs have their eggs/spores/whatever
If anything Graham is the love child of Serizawa and Godzilla. Just look at the passion between them in this scene:

You could cut that romantic tension with a knife!

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

That picture is pretty awesome, I must say.

InstinctiveGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by InstinctiveGigan »

Heh, he looks like he stole it and he's looking around to see if anyone noticed.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Biollante is a she. :P
My life...is a lie.
#GiganConfirmed. Spread it, embrace it, Legendary will make it. Do it now!