Atomic Breath: your thoughts and observations

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Re: Atomic Breath: your thoughts and observations

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I'm not arguing that Godzilla was effected by the EMP. It should be rather common knowledge in the fandom by now. I'm saying that, if it WAS kept in the script (hence the word "if", which I will not define for you), her field not being constant could explain why he would be able to use it from time to time. Dunno if you noticed that Brody started the boat with her nearby. If it wasn't constant, that couldn't have happened.

KaijuArcade
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuArcade »

PRIMEVAL wrote:I'm not arguing that Godzilla was effected by the EMP. It should be rather common knowledge in the fandom by now. I'm saying that, if it WAS kept in the script...

Ah, gotcha. Anyways, I wasn't calling you out specifically, was more of a general repsonse to the whole EMP thing.
Dunno if you noticed that Brody started the boat with her nearby. If it wasn't constant, that couldn't have happened.
You mean if it *was* constant he couldn't have started the boat? :) Anyways, even if she has to actually activate the shield like the male does when firing off his EMP wave, I just don't buy the alternate speculation she would "forget" or be "too panicked" to use it when needed. The movie definitely seemed to convey that both Godzilla and the MUTO had a reasonable amount of intelligence (obviously not like humans, but definitely "Koko the gorilla" levels of thinking ability and emotion I'd say). Even normal animals usually have the ability and relative competence to recognize the moments when they need to use their respective defense mechanisms. In any case, it's obvious in the movie that Godzilla's breath isn't effected by the EMPs, he's just conservative for when he uses it.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Yeah... was*... dang it. xD

Maybe it's not the case of her forgetting it, but rather not having any control over it? Like it's just a side effect of her simply existing? *shrug*

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

i just, i dont konw i dont feel liek the emp was thought through. what kind of thing back in the prehistoric age, what kind of thing would happen for these organisms to force a natural development of the emp? i mean if godzilla doesnt have the spark thing then what? was it because a bunch of ghidorahs preyed on mutos and it just developed this emp naturally (i cant find the word for it, theres a word for when organisms evolution just happens to prevent something, idk the word) to stop them from zapping em all? i mean ghidorah does shoot lightning. but thats jsut speculation, I just dont understand, or were there like big under sea eels that fed on them? I just still dont get hte practicality of the emp attack on the prehistoric creatures back then i guess, but its a nitpicky thing really

KaijuArcade
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuArcade »

junkerde wrote:i just, i dont konw i dont feel liek the emp was thought through. what kind of thing back in the prehistoric age, what kind of thing would happen for these organisms to force a natural development of the emp? i mean if godzilla doesnt have the spark thing then what? was it because a bunch of ghidorahs preyed on mutos and it just developed this emp naturally (i cant find the word for it, theres a word for when organisms evolution just happens to prevent something, idk the word) to stop them from zapping em all? i mean ghidorah does shoot lightning. but thats jsut speculation, I just dont understand, or were there like big under sea eels that fed on them? I just still dont get hte practicality of the emp attack on the prehistoric creatures back then i guess, but its a nitpicky thing really
The EMP was well thought out and no less fantastical than any ability posessed by any other enemy kaiju in the previous movies. This is like asking, "What kind of living thing back in the prehisotric age would have the need to have an atomic breath attack?" or "What is the purpose of an electric eel's ability to generate power?" The answer is simple, it's a defense mechanism which gives the animal an extra edge when it's trying to survive. In the case of the MUTO, my theory is their EMP disruption was originally meant to be used on another kaiju species that existed at the time which was either an additional direct rival of the MUTO, or maybe a species that the MUTO preyed on which generated electricity similar to how an eel does but obviously on a far grander scale. The Mutos would use their EMP disruption to disable this other species' ability to generate electricity allowing them to either fight or prey on these creatures. Seems like some people get a bit caught up on the fact the MUTO are being portrayed in a movie in the modern era with technology when they come from an ancient era where the EMP ability obviously had a different context. The MUTO were just fortunate that the era they re-awakened in features a (formerly) dominant species of careless, arrogant mammals with a bunch of fancy but useless electronic toys. So basically in the movie and based on this theory, humans inadvertently took the place of whatever electricity-based kaiju that the MUTO formerly used to fight. Unfortunately for the MUTO, they also woke up Godzilla and because he's the alpha predator, he doesn't need to worry about who is using electricity or EMPs.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

KaijuArcade wrote:
This is like asking, "What kind of living thing back in the prehisotric age would have the need to have an atomic breath attack?"

um, do you know what an emp does? its not a force like an atomic breathe, so not it is not like asking "what kind of living thing back in the prehisotric age would have the need to have an atomic breath attack?". Please, see what an emp does and compare that attack to an atomic breathe, in no way is it the same thing. but other than that yeah i see we're you're going. but again taht one thing just bugged me so
KaijuArcade wrote:
This is NOT like asking, "What kind of living thing back in the prehisotric age would have the need to have an atomic breath attack?"
fixed, its been bothering me

KaijuArcade
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuArcade »

junkerde wrote:
KaijuArcade wrote:
This is like asking, "What kind of living thing back in the prehisotric age would have the need to have an atomic breath attack?"

um, do you know what an emp does? its not a force like an atomic breathe....
:roll: OK, let's just stop there. "Ability," "force," whatever. "Why would an animal from the prehistoric age need an ability like being able to generate an EMP wave or atomic breath?" The question works either way. :roll:

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

KaijuArcade wrote:The question works either way. :roll:
nope 8-)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The next film I wanna see it hit man made things and either melt or blow them up. It was cool but damn now we gotta wait even longer to know what it's true nature is cause it only hit a kaiju (who are resistant to magical death rays). Seriously people not familiar with Godzilla thought he was shooting water/ice/lightning (I wish I was making this shit up, 60+ years and kaiju films are still plagued with misconceptions by people in general, not just an uninformed minority).

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Living Corpse wrote:The next film I wanna see it hit man made things and either melt or blow them up. It was cool but damn now we gotta wait even longer to know what it's true nature is cause it only hit a kaiju (who are resistant to magical death rays). Seriously people not familiar with Godzilla thought he was shooting water/ice/lightning (I wish I was making this shit up, 60+ years and kaiju films are still plagued with misconceptions by people in general, not just an uninformed minority).
yeah, other people thought it was ice too, i think its just hte way the particle fx look

KaijuArcade
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuArcade »

Living Corpse wrote:The next film I wanna see it hit man made things and either melt or blow them up.
I hope so too, but there will have to be a reason why he'd feel threatened enough to deliberately attack something man made. Maybe in the next movie either humans or one of the kaiju will be doing something which starts impacting his ability to naturally absorb radiation from the earth's core and he's forced to start raiding nuclear reactors occasionally, something lke that would really raise the stakes. One of my favorite scenes of all time is Godzilla 1985's reactor sequence.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

He doesn't even need to feel threatened. It could be an accident like he get's knocked down while using it or trying to hit a flying monster who moves too fast.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

I watched the final battle in 720p just now and looking at the Kiss of Death, I can absolutely tell that it has to be hot enough to vaporize flesh; the female Muto's neck just sort of vaporizes at the bottom. So it seems that Godzilla's thermonuclear heat ray is hot enough to vaporize flesh and bone, but it doesn't seem to have an incredible amount of kinetic force behind it. So the napalm comparisons are actually accurate in more than just appearance;
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Jiragozira14 wrote:I watched the final battle in 720p just now and looking at the Kiss of Death, I can absolutely tell that it has to be hot enough to vaporize flesh; the female Muto's neck just sort of vaporizes at the bottom. So it seems that Godzilla's thermonuclear heat ray is hot enough to vaporize flesh and bone, but it doesn't seem to have an incredible amount of kinetic force behind it. So the napalm comparisons are actually accurate in more than just appearance;
http://orig14.deviantart.net/18bc/f/201 ... 8l2uss.png
you should watch it in 1080p, on a bluray disc

KaijuArcade
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuArcade »

Jiragozira14 wrote:I watched the final battle in 720p just now and looking at the Kiss of Death, I can absolutely tell that it has to be hot enough to vaporize flesh; the female Muto's neck just sort of vaporizes at the bottom. So it seems that Godzilla's thermonuclear heat ray is hot enough to vaporize flesh and bone, but it doesn't seem to have an incredible amount of kinetic force behind it. So the napalm comparisons are actually accurate in more than just appearance;
http://orig14.deviantart.net/18bc/f/201 ... 8l2uss.png
Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

The Atomic Breath, in my opinion at least, was underwhelming and boring. If I could say anything about it, I would say that it sums up the entire film in my opinion. Too long and boring, with the M.U.T.O's taking up too much of the spotlight while Godzilla's tail spines are in the background showing how Godzilla is teased and teased in this film to add more filler to extend runtime "build-up", it's too dark and then you finally get to see Godzilla in all of his glory... and he sucks in comparison to what we had seen earlier, and then the camera cuts back to the humans that you don't care about and have no personalities!
The Atomic Breath is this film in a big blue nutshell. So my opinion? It sucks.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:The Atomic Breath, in my opinion at least, was underwhelming and boring. If I could say anything about it, I would say that it sums up the entire film in my opinion. Too long and boring, with the M.U.T.O's taking up too much of the spotlight while Godzilla's tail spines are in the background showing how Godzilla is teased and teased in this film to add more filler to extend runtime "build-up", it's too dark and then you finally get to see Godzilla in all of his glory... and he sucks in comparison to what we had seen earlier, and then the camera cuts back to the humans that you don't care about and have no personalities!
The Atomic Breath is this film in a big blue nutshell. So my opinion? It sucks.
Booooo.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:So my opinion? It sucks.
You mean,

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Jiragozira14 wrote:I watched the final battle in 720p

From what source?
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Chris55 wrote:
Jiragozira14 wrote:I watched the final battle in 720p

From what source?
youtube

liek i told him, he should watch it in 1080p, from the bluray disc. the 720p video is so blocky compared