Atomic Breath: your thoughts and observations

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Re: Atomic Breath: your thoughts and observations

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Vatarian wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:The girl I went to see it (first time) with asked if it was his lightning... xD
Did you dump her and tell her to see an eye-doctor? :P

Jk.
Friend zone, so unfortunately there can be no dumping. But she's also not that familiar with Godzilla and only saw the 1998 movie (she likes 2014 better). She wasn't too far off as originally his atomic breath was supposed to be activated by an electrical charge or something. Heh.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

I really hope his ray doesn't look the same way in the sequel as in 2014. Weren't the MUTO's impeding the true power of his ray with their EMPs?
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:I really hope his ray doesn't look the same way in the sequel as in 2014. Weren't the MUTO's impeding the true power of his ray with their EMPs?
No. Not in the movie, at least.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:Weren't the MUTO's impeding the true power of his ray with their EMPs?
Radiation isn't electricity, so no. :p
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Jiragozira14 wrote:
Godzilla Lover101 wrote:Weren't the MUTO's impeding the true power of his ray with their EMPs?
It was originally gonna be lit by an electric spark in his throat. That was eventually cut-out along with the Muto's EMP deactivating it.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
Jiragozira14 wrote:
It was originally gonna be lit by an electric spark in his throat. That was eventually cut-out along with the Muto's EMP deactivating it.
Okay, so their EMP did nothing to Godzilla?
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote: Okay, so their EMP did nothing to Godzilla?
Not in the film, no. I believe it did in the novel but we shouldn't consider that canon.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Well that's kinda stupid to have a weapon that doesn't do anything against your main predator.
OT, I kinda feel that the breath looked too weak. It has real power, maybe more than previous Godzilla's breath attacks, but for Godzilla's size, it looks like he's shooting a water gun. Maybe if they incorporate that however long it's charged up, the larger and deadlier the breath will become?

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

The breath is coming from his throat, as it is generated within him. Therefore, it can be no larger than Godzilla's pharynx.
This is not like in Heisei or Millennium (the Showa breath is narrower than his mouth) where the breath is wider than the opening it flows out of and still be focused.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

LazerWhale wrote:The breath is coming from his throat, as it is generated within him. Therefore, it can be no larger than Godzilla's pharynx.
This is not like in Heisei or Millennium (the Showa breath is narrower than his mouth) where the breath is wider than the opening it flows out of and still be focused.
To be fair, they could widen the flair of sparcer plasma that surrounds the central beam. That said, I'm fine with the beam like it is.

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

When I first saw the new beam, I was a little disappointed because it looked "weak", but after some thought it has grown on me. If Godzilla had shot an actual beam it would have torn through the Muto. This new beam is more like a blowtorch, just as devastating but doesn't leave gaping holes in your target. This also keeps the beam from becoming a OHKO move, since the breath only kills if shot through a weak spot (such as Muto's mouth). Perhaps if the spiral breath is in the sequels, it will have the properties of the old breath.

I also want to note that I think this new breath is a reference to the original Gojira's breath, which was more like a gas than a beam.
I have a tumblr I guess:http://monoclemogu.tumblr.com
I don't know why anyone would want to follow me, but it's here if you're in desperate need of Godzilla/general nerdiness content on your dashboard.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Moguera24 wrote:When I first saw the new beam, I was a little disappointed because it looked "weak", but after some thought it has grown on me. If Godzilla had shot an actual beam it would have torn through the Muto. This new beam is more like a blowtorch, just as devastating but doesn't leave gaping holes in your target. This also keeps the beam from becoming a OHKO move, since the breath only kills if shot through a weak spot (such as Muto's mouth). Perhaps if the spiral breath is in the sequels, it will have the properties of the old breath.

I also want to note that I think this new breath is a reference to the original Gojira's breath, which was more like a gas than a beam.
I... Really don't think an "actual beam" would've torn through the MUTOs. And LPG is one of the first that has an actual push and impact to his beam. So, if anyone's beam was gonna tear through, it'd be his.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I really like this reversed version. If the EMPs had something to do with the ray, Godzilla could have fired it at the male in Honolulu and the male used the EMP, so his ray was deactivated.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Karmataurus
Monarch Researcher

Post by Karmataurus »

I REALLY hope that the beam is more efficient against other monsters in the other movies and the explanation is that the Mutos had to evolve resistant hide to tank their predator's weapon. While it's reveal is probably the greatest moment in anything ever, it really didn't do anything but knock the female down for less than a minute.

Like I said a while back, the tips of his spines become an orange color and they release a ton of black smoke that trails from the spines, at first I thought it was dust but if you set the black level on your monitor to 'two', it enhances the detail and clearly shows the smoke is coming off of the spines.

Godzilla actually has 'facial markings' that light up when he uses the weapon, they are hard to see but around his eyes, almost runic.

In general I think G needs to be beefed up from a time lost animal to a powerful king of monsters, but his most needed weapon is his breath weapon.

Guhjiller
GPN Volunteer

Post by Guhjiller »

Karmataurus wrote:I REALLY hope that the beam is more efficient against other monsters in the other movies and the explanation is that the Mutos had to evolve resistant hide to tank their predator's weapon.
I would love the writers if they did this, it'd be doing what the novelization was attempting to do, but doing it sensibly. I don't care if it's an obvious retcon, the beam was kinda visually underwhelming. I think that 2014 G's atomic breath is a bit stronger than some people give it credit for it, but it didn't really feel like it carried the power it should.

This may be because we've ONLY seen it used a grand total of 3 times, and only on monsters. I think this might change in the sequel if we see Godzilla use it's atomic breath on some other stuff. I mean, there's incidents in Heisei or Showa where, if you just took THAT showing of the atomic breath and that only, it'd seem very weak. One example might be in the Show film, Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster, where Rodan flatout no sells Godzilla's atomic breath. If we just had that showing, Showa Godzilla's breath would look absolutely friggen pathetic. However, because we've seen it do WAY more impressive stuff, like blow up big portions of city landscape when he's used it in the past, we just know it's because Showa Rodan is just THAT tough.

It might be a similar case with the MUTOs, but until see 2014 G's breath do more impressive stuff and/or get somebody who says something about it's strength(Inuniverse or out), it can't be proven to be the case.

I will say that it seems to have a decent amount of physical force behind it, kinda depends on how heavy the MUTOs are, if we ever get confirmation of their weight's that is. If the precedent set by Legendary Godzilla's size, that is, 30,000 friggen tons heavier than Heisei Godzilla, is any indication, it might be fairly impressive. Though, granted, given the body structure of the female MUTO, it might weigh less than some would think. King Ghidorah, in Heisei and Showa, towers over Godzilla, but doesn't weigh a whole lot more than him after all.

I think if we give it some time, the 2014 breath will get some more impressive feats. I'm not expecting too many from the very next movie though, this Godzilla is VERY melee oriented and his Atomic Breath is more a fallback option when things get really bad. I may get surprised though, I hope I am.

KaijuArcade
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuArcade »

Godzilla Lover101:
Okay, so their EMP did nothing to Godzilla?
This just keeps coming back, doesn't it? NO, the MUTOs EMPs did not have an effect on Godzilla. The novelization was based on an earlier draft of the script where Godzilla had an organ in his throat which would fire a spark that he'd use to ignite his breath. This element was taken out of the final draft of the script. In the fight descriptions in the novel, at several points Godzilla keeps trying to fire off his breath by using the spark in his throat to ignite it, but every time he tries to use it, he is either stopped by being clawed in the throat or by an EMP wave stopping the spark from igniting. That's the novelization which is based on an earlier draft of the script. The novelization's description of the fight and Godzilla's atomic breath IS NOT UP TO DATE compared to what's clearly shown in the movie. Although it could be argued he may need to use it at least somewhat sparingly, unlike the scenario presented in the novelization, at NO POINT in the movie is it even hinted or visually implied in any way that Godzilla is prevented from using his atomic breath either due to the EMPs or due to needing an organ-based electronic spark to ignite his breath. In the movie it's easy to see how this was removed from the final script because Godzilla deliberately relies on brute strength for the majority of the battle. The male obviously never even bothers to try using his EMP on Godzilla, he just keeps trying to physically pull him away from the female whenever he is about to make progress in defeating her. Both times Godzilla fires his atomic breath, it is after WAITING TO USE IT as A) a strategic last resort during both of his decisive encounters with the female and B) each time he fires his breath at the female, he is either directly in front of her or grappling AND physically holding her, so there is ZERO evidence to suggest or infer he was in some way "maybe mysteriously at some point effected by the EMPs" since each time he fires his breath, he is directly within the female MUTO's EMP "sphere of influence" which surrounds her body. Obviously, if the EMP had ANY tangible effect on whether or not he can ignite his breath, he wouldn't have been able to fire it off while physically holding on to her because her EMP shield would have interefered with the ignition as soon as he came into contact with her. No offense, but this is all pretty simple to figure out. I'm glad this was removed from the final script because in my opinion, it takes away from Godzilla's "alpha predator" status if one of his key strengths can be turned off virtually any time his enemy wants to and would have turned the atomic breath from being a smart ability into being little more than a semi-unreliable "panic button." Also, the sparks you see on Godzilla's spines are not the ray being "ignited," like all the other movies, it's simply the effects that the stored radiation has on his body giving a visual cue that he's about to fire it. The lightning was simply a cool, dramatic background visual to symbolically reinforce the fact that Godzilla is on the side of nature. Regardless, whatever kind of energy or bio-chemical reaction that Godzilla actually uses to activate his breath, the MUTO's EMPs clearly have no effect on how it works. I really wish the novelization had been held back and edited to remove that bit as it's led to too much unsubstantiated fan speculation regarding the actual nature of the final parts of the battle. The way the movie presents the final battle is very clear: Godzilla's atomic breath is a smart, devastating weapon that he has full control over, and HE CHOOSES WHEN AND WHERE TO USE IT. The ONLY source for alternate speculation is due to the novelization which AGAIN, is based on an OUT OF DATE VERSION OF THE SCRIPT.
Last edited by KaijuArcade on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bugmolly
Monsterland Worker

Post by bugmolly »

the new breath is not so much a beam as a flamethrower, witch wont blow a hole through a building or cut a ufo in half but it could light another monster on fire or melt metal, and I thought of a reason as to why the female muto seemed almost unaffected to some is because the muto are suppose to have been preying on Godzilla's so they could have adapted tougher skin to the atomic breath thus more resistance to a full blow to the face

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

bugmolly wrote:the new breath is not so much a beam as a flamethrower, witch wont blow a hole through a building or cut a ufo in half but it could light another monster on fire or melt metal, and I thought of a reason as to why the female muto seemed almost unaffected to some is because the muto are suppose to have been preying on Godzilla's so they could have adapted tougher skin to the atomic breath thus more resistance to a full blow to the face
What. What are you even talking about? The beam has quite a bit of force behind it. Did you miss the part where it tipped the advancing Femuto over and into a building?

She weighed like 80,000 tons. You're trying to tell me that wouldn't absolutely demolish a building or naval boat or "UFO"…?

Do people pay attention to this movie at all, or just jump on the "OK WELL BEEM WAS WEAK THAN HEAYSAY" train?

bugmolly
Monsterland Worker

Post by bugmolly »

No I didn't mean it was weak I was just saying it is not like push a monster through a building powerful I know full well it pushed the fe muto back and it clearly affected the muto and probably left severe burns but I was trying to say it probably can't sever limbs like the 90's or 2000's beams did

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

bugmolly wrote:No I didn't mean it was weak I was just saying it is not like push a monster through a building powerful I know full well it pushed the fe muto back and it clearly affected the muto and probably left severe burns but I was trying to say it probably can't sever limbs like the 90's or 2000's beams did

When again did Heisei or Millenium Godzilla's beams knock a monster THROUGH a building with shear force...? I can't recall a single time.

The only one with the beam for that is Pot Belly Mc. Ghost-Eyes.

Given that it's kinetic yield exceeds Heisei's beam by a good bit, I imagine it would fuck up or sever a limb if it hit it. Itt never hit any limbs though, so hard to tell.