What is this Godzilla to you?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: What is this Godzilla to you?

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, first and foremost, I see Godzilla. When discussing America's last 'attempt' at Godzilla with non-fans, I feel the need to stress that the iguana was not Godzilla. This new guy? Him, I have no problem with. He's a little unconventional, being CGI and all, but I'm perfectly comfortable treating him as the newest ruler in a long, proud dynasty.

Apart from that? He is... alien, I suppose. A seemingly impossible creature from another time, that doesn't belong in the modern world. Yet here he is. There is an element of godhood to him, being as massive and powerful as he is; most if not all of our weapons are meaningless to him. We humans, supposedly this planet's dominant species, are insects compared to him. But the movie does a good job showing that he is not, in fact, omnipotent. He can be injured, he can tire, and it is entirely possible that he can die. For all his age and power, he is mortal, and may have to struggle to survive just as we do. The MUTOs were a good enemy for this movie, but I hope the future movies give him some really closely-contested, life-or-death battles.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I see this Godzilla as a Legendary Pokemon to be honest; he is this ancient powerful creature with a lot of history that is awakened when an ancient rival is also awakened and threatens the globe. After finishing his job, he leaves without noticing mankind or anything else.
Yooo 8-)

InstinctiveGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by InstinctiveGigan »

An old, sumo assassin god of nature.
*Copyright InstinctiveGigan 2014*
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Biollante is a she. :P
My life...is a lie.
#GiganConfirmed. Spread it, embrace it, Legendary will make it. Do it now!

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Godzilla 2014= Anakin Skywalker. Restoring balance to the force.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

godzilla 2014: mediocre

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

This Gojira is Superman.
He is an alien that suddenly shows up to protect us from his evil alien brothers but breaks some stuff while in the process of saving us.

Ghost_Ultramantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ghost_Ultramantis »

He's a fusion of all previous incarnations, sans the really goofy pro wrestling Godzilla and GINO. They made him the earth alpha with universal appeal. The result is a marketing success that feels a bit tepid. He's not compromised, but safe. The "King Kong Killshot" tribute that took it up a notch made up for a lot.
I hope Wanigumagoji's fighting style lives up to his design.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Ghost_Ultramantis wrote: The result is a marketing success that feels a bit tepid. He's not compromised, but safe.
Bingo.
In my opinion, of course.

Ghost_Ultramantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ghost_Ultramantis »

JAGzilla wrote:Well, first and foremost, I see Godzilla. When discussing America's last 'attempt' at Godzilla with non-fans, I feel the need to stress that the iguana was not Godzilla. This new guy? Him, I have no problem with. He's a little unconventional, being CGI and all, but I'm perfectly comfortable treating him as the newest ruler in a long, proud dynasty.

Apart from that? He is... alien, I suppose. A seemingly impossible creature from another time, that doesn't belong in the modern world. Yet here he is. There is an element of godhood to him, being as massive and powerful as he is; most if not all of our weapons are meaningless to him. We humans, supposedly this planet's dominant species, are insects compared to him. But the movie does a good job showing that he is not, in fact, omnipotent. He can be injured, he can tire, and it is entirely possible that he can die. For all his age and power, he is mortal, and may have to struggle to survive just as we do. The MUTOs were a good enemy for this movie, but I hope the future movies give him some really closely-contested, life-or-death battles.
This WAS life or death. He exhausted himself, traveling to the ends of the earth to destroy the MUTOs, using every bit of energy he had, collapsing into a coma immediately afterwards.
I hope Wanigumagoji's fighting style lives up to his design.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

mystic. cosmic, in a way. a legend. the repeated and subtle mentions of Godzilla through time, especially in the beginning sequence and each little piece of history etched into the film, such as the dragon's head in the last battle, kinda built up this feeling that...

...monsters are really. that we really don't know much of anything about our world, or how it was before us. that we need to reevaluate things we thought were just fanciful stories: things like sea monsters and the like -- there were really great beasts that lived through hell and high water here. and finally, a scheme might exist at the most basic level. that we, humans, are bystanders and occasionally participants in a great game that plays out over and over again, and only does so because someone must win and someone must lose.

this Godzilla, to me, is a mystical incarnation of a grander scheme. again: he's a legend.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.