Band-Aid fixes: Little Things to Make the Movie Better

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Re: Band-Aid fixes: Little Things to Make the Movie Better

Post by Mr. Xeno »

junkerde wrote: theres the sxsw clip out there
I'll make you an offer (you can't refuse): Find me the original clip, and I will give you absolutely nothing in return. Deal?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
junkerde wrote: theres the sxsw clip out there
I'll make you an offer (you can't refuse): Find me the original clip, and I will give you absolutely nothing in return. Deal?
ok

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Mr. Xeno wrote:What would be your guys' reaction if the sequel had the same amount of monster screentime, teases included? I know this movie cuts away 5+ times from the action, so would any of you support a sequel that took the same route?
This is something I'm wary of for future sequels. I didn't even take as much issue with the cutaways as most people did, and I still think it's a bad idea. Especially considering a couple factors:

1) The cutaways in the first film border on being complete cockteases. For the Hawaii fight, you even see that it was animated, but slapped onto a news broadcast instead of letting us see any of it in full. For the cutaway with the truck doors, we had gone so friggin' long without getting to see the fights!

2) Mothra, Ghidorah, and/or Rodan are going to be in the sequel. These are well-established, beloved characters. people are going to want to see them, and may easily get angry at being pulled away by the humans again.

If they want to make cutaways and teases work, they're going to have to be smarter about using them. Do them early into the film, but not so much once we've spent a ton of time with our human characters. I think what Gareth and crew need to realize is that, while human characters are an important backbone to any kaiju film, it's the fights that people primarily want to see. That's one of the main draws of a kaiju film; cutting back to characters we've already spent over an hour focusing on just feels dissatisfying. One way they could make that work, is to give us a minute or two of each fight first. That way, we don't feel cheated because we got to see a good portion of the fight, but it's not so much that it dampens the effect of the big final fight.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

KaijuFiend wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:What would be your guys' reaction if the sequel had the same amount of monster screentime, teases included? I know this movie cuts away 5+ times from the action, so would any of you support a sequel that took the same route?
This is something I'm wary of for future sequels. I didn't even take as much issue with the cutaways as most people did, and I still think it's a bad idea. Especially considering a couple factors:

1) The cutaways in the first film border on being complete cockteases. For the Hawaii fight, you even see that it was animated, but slapped onto a news broadcast instead of letting us see any of it in full. For the cutaway with the truck doors, we had gone so friggin' long without getting to see the fights!

2) Mothra, Ghidorah, and/or Rodan are going to be in the sequel. These are well-established, beloved characters. people are going to want to see them, and may easily get angry at being pulled away by the humans again.

If they want to make cutaways and teases work, they're going to have to be smarter about using them. Do them early into the film, but not so much once we've spent a ton of time with our human characters. I think what Gareth and crew need to realize is that, while human characters are an important backbone to any kaiju film, it's the fights that people primarily want to see. That's one of the main draws of a kaiju film; cutting back to characters we've already spent over an hour focusing on just feels dissatisfying. One way they could make that work, is to give us a minute or two of each fight first. That way, we don't feel cheated because we got to see a good portion of the fight, but it's not so much that it dampens the effect of the big final fight.
Pretty much agree with everything here. If someone thought the backlash of the cutaways in this film was bad, it'll be a fucking nightmare if they cutaway from four of the big five.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Get rid of Gareth Edwards and def by all heavens get rid of Max B. He can't write for shit and unless the studio puts a serious leash on Edwards about his teasing an lack of action scenes fire him... My faith in in the sequel is very low at this point.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

They should do ot like in the older godzilla movies where They show the whole fight but then sometimes cut away to the humans.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Post by RumbleJapan »

Given the pace of the film, I felt like they could've condensed the film to 2/3 of its original running time. I loved the film, but half the time I was anticipating for the film to cut to the fight scenes. On the contrary, I wouldn't have really wanted them to spam Godzilla's onscreen time seeing that this film served as a precursor to a trilogy. Just me though.
Visit my fan site: Goji Database

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

GR8GODZILLAGOD wrote:
KaijuFiend wrote:

Pretty much agree with everything here. If someone thought the backlash of the cutaways in this film was bad, it'll be a skreeonking nightmare if they cutaway from four of the big five.
I would've also set the final fight with the MUTOs during the daytime. And I know some people are going to say the CGI would look worse. I don't think so. Because the Transformers movies have nearly ALL their fights take place in the day and the CG still looks great.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Another thing I would've changed, and this is just a personal thing I think, is Godzilla's attitude towards the military. I don't know if it's just the fact I got so used to seeing Godzilla blast the army in a hail of atomic fire, but I would've made him more aggressive towards the military when they attack him. Now, I wouldn't make him use the breath until the part where he blasted the MUTO. But, I would've had some clawing or biting at their navy ships for example. Kind of like swatting at a fly.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Change "King Of The Monsters: Savior Of Our City?" to "Godzilla, King Of The Monsters?", and instead of a round of applause, have a massive dead silence spread among the crowd.
Yooo 8-)

Gelo
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gelo »

JGAR wrote:Change "King Of The Monsters: Savior Of Our City?" to "Godzilla, King Of The Monsters?", and instead of a round of applause, have a massive dead silence spread among the crowd.
Well, the public didn't even know what his name was until the Monarch files were leaked later on, reasoning why it just says King Of The Monsters.
But I do agree with the dead silence.
On March 1st, 1954 at exactly 8:50AM, Operation: Lucky Dragon commenced.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Gelo wrote:
JGAR wrote:Change "King Of The Monsters: Savior Of Our City?" to "Godzilla, King Of The Monsters?", and instead of a round of applause, have a massive dead silence spread among the crowd.
Well, the public didn't even know what his name was until the Monarch files were leaked later on, reasoning why it just says King Of The Monsters.
But I do agree with the dead silence.
Yeah I didn't like how they portrayed godzilla as a hero at the end of the movie, when he had arguably done more damage than the muto. Like everyone was clapping that godzilla had killed the mutos. Why. What had they done that godzilla didn't. I'm sure all the people who lost their loved ones in Hawaii's flood would have had a different reaction than the people in San Fransico. Just my two cents.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

gigan72 wrote:
EmperorGhidorah wrote:Yeah I didn't like how they portrayed godzilla as a hero at the end of the movie, when he had arguably done more damage than the muto. Like everyone was clapping that godzilla had killed the mutos. Why. What had they done that godzilla didn't. I'm sure all the people who lost their loved ones in Hawaii's flood would have had a different reaction than the people in San Fransico. Just my two cents.
The MUTOs emerged to breed and keep on destroying shit, eventually destroying us as the outcome.
Godzilla came out to kill them and just left.
I think I would appreciate Godzilla then. The MUTOs came out to wreck shit and make babies, and Godzilla emerged to simply kill them.
The MUTOs were also the only ones who had been destroying stuff and terrorizing the US until the fight also. He had been swimming towards the US as the female MUTO struck terror into people and most of the US population likely had learned to fear them at that point. They didn't fear Godzilla for a long time as he finally made landfall at Hawaii for a short time, then emerged on the day before and quickly left. The male MUTO had also killed many people in Japan, while Godzilla had, up to the final fight, killed nobody. The MUTOs were probably the ones most feared until Godzilla killed them and left.
Never looked at it like that. But godzilla definitely killed people before the final battle. The whole tsunami and plowing through builds at Hawaii probably killed a lot of people.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

gigan72 wrote:
EmperorGhidorah wrote:Never looked at it like that. But godzilla definitely killed people before the final battle. The whole tsunami and plowing through builds at Hawaii probably killed a lot of people.
Oh yeah, but it must have been a very small amount compared to the MUTOs who were wandering around for quite a while longer.
Even the few shots of TVs in the film are basically showcasing the MUTOs. There is a shot of a TV in the hospital that shows the female MUTO rampaging, and there is a TV that warns about the MUTOs sphere of influence. The TVs are basically reinforcing the fear of the MUTOs, but Godzilla's only TV appearance was in Hawaii, where he attacked the male and left.As the MUTOs continue rampaging, no alerts about the big guy where shown because he wasn't on land. The MUTOs appeared to last for days or even a couple weeks on land, where various cities, buildings, lives, and everything else was destroyed. Stenz even remarked he was "losing men every minute trying to steer one of these things away", referencing the female MUTO who was rampaging in the US. People obviously feared Godzilla before, but the MUTOs were most likely feared a lot more than him.
True. And the muto's emp was probably causing wide spread panic.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

There is very little you can do to fix this film, since A) it has already been released and B) it's fundamentally broken. Shortening the overall run-time and adding a couple more minutes of Godzilla is pretty much the best one could do at this point.

NewBloodGodz
Terminated
Terminated

Post by NewBloodGodz »

Have him fight the military, make him a true anti-hero, actually have him fight back and not rely on a human that's blander than bread alone.