References and little things you liked

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Fighing On Fuji
GPN Volunteer

References and little things you liked

Post by Fighing On Fuji »

G2014 references several different movies, perhaps most notably Jurassic Park at the beginning with the helicopter, tropical island, and desert scene.

There were also several touches that I liked:
- Godzilla rolling his eye when he wakes up like the dying stegosaurus in Fantasia
- The old fashioned dinosaurs on the evolutionary chart really show how far we've come in terms of science; just by seeing them, a mainstream audience knows it's from the old days
- The way the second part of G's roar seems to reverberate in his throat instead of bursting out of his mouth
- The death of the Male MUTO feels like a callback to Final Wars' Kamacuras

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Re: References and little things you liked

Post by HannibalBarca »

I just loved how the opening sequence in general evoked the feel of an old monster movie to a tee. Think of the opening narration for Gigantis the Fire Monster, or the American version of Rodan. Shots of radar dishes, rocket launches, nuclear tests. Even though the 1954 sequence is a bit of a head-scratcher from a story perspective, in terms of visuals, musical score, and just getting the feel of an old monster movie right, it was fantastic.
In my opinion, of course.

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Re: References and little things you liked

Post by Janjira54 »

HannibalBarca wrote:I just loved how the opening sequence in general evoked the feel of an old monster movie to a tee. Think of the opening narration for Gigantis the Fire Monster, or the American version of Rodan. Shots of radar dishes, rocket launches, nuclear tests. Even though the 1954 sequence is a bit of a head-scratcher from a story perspective, in terms of visuals, musical score, and just getting the feel of an old monster movie right, it was fantastic.
its one of my favorite movie openings